math problem

On Nov 21, 9:02 pm, "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> If a bicyclist rides for 45 minutes at 10 mph when it's 6 degrees C in a
> rainstorm in the dark, upon arrival at home, for how long does she have to
> shower with water at 41 C before her toes thaw out?
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Peterskyhttp://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
> See the books I've set free at:http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

Depends on how big her feet are.

-----------------------------
Bike: Trek 5500 Project 1
Training Software: www.dltsoftware.com/efitness

> If a bicyclist rides for 45 minutes at 10 mph when it's 6 degrees C in a
> rainstorm in the dark, upon arrival at home, for how long does she have to
> shower with water at 41 C before her toes thaw out?
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky
> http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
> See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

Hmmm. Does that include hubby rubbing them after they come out of the
frozen shoes? It's below 0 C here of a morning. Gonna have to start
wearing warmer shoes?

Charles of Schaumburg

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 02:02:54 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>If a bicyclist rides for 45 minutes at 10 mph when it's 6 degrees C in a
>rainstorm in the dark, upon arrival at home, for how long does she have to
>shower with water at 41 C before her toes thaw out?

Same as any other time -- until the hot water runs out!

Pat

Email address works as is.

Claire Petersky wrote:
> If a bicyclist rides for 45 minutes at 10 mph when it's 6 degrees C in a
> rainstorm in the dark, upon arrival at home, for how long does she have to
> shower with water at 41 C before her toes thaw out?
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky

Insufficient data. We need to know the size of her toes and her
heartrate. BTW, given the question shouldn't that be "Frozen Regards"?

just plain regards,
Bob Hunt

Claire Petersky wrote:
> If a bicyclist rides for 45 minutes at 10 mph when it's 6 degrees C
> in a rainstorm in the dark, upon arrival at home, for how long does
> she have to shower with water at 41 C before her toes thaw out?

Five minutes beyond the water heater's capacity.

Claire Petersky wrote:

> If a bicyclist rides for 45 minutes at 10 mph when it's 6 degrees C in a
> rainstorm in the dark, upon arrival at home, for how long does she have to
> shower with water at 41 C before her toes thaw out?

42... the answer is ALWAYS 42!

--
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/dahls/

Claire Petersky wrote:
> If a bicyclist rides for 45 minutes at 10 mph when it's 6 degrees C in a
> rainstorm in the dark, upon arrival at home, for how long does she have to
> shower with water at 41 C before her toes thaw out?

few assumptions that can be safely made:

you were always enjoying every moment of the ride...
you always had a smile (if not visible) all along the ride...

based on these assumptions, you must be cold-blooded ;) [evolution ??]
and hence your feet isn't really frozen... so the correct answer is turn
off the water and go for another 45 minute ride and have an epic ride...

unfortunately, most of the storms that seattle gets, are off alaska -
which are cold... while in SF Bay Area, we also get the Pineapple
Express - storms out of Hawaii -- which aren't as cold as the ones out
of the Gulf of Alaska...

cheers,
ravi

Claire Petersky wrote:
> If a bicyclist rides for 45 minutes at 10 mph when it's 6 degrees C in a
> rainstorm in the dark, upon arrival at home, for how long does she have to
> shower with water at 41 C before her toes thaw out?

Until the water coming out of the shower head isn't considered warm an
longer.

Ken
--
The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets
old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without

<[email protected]> wrote:

>If a bicyclist rides for 45 minutes at 10 mph when it's 6 degrees C in a
>rainstorm in the dark, upon arrival at home, for how long does she have to
>shower with water at 41 C before her toes thaw out?

Oh. Cold rain. My absolute favorite.

Claire Petersky wrote:
> If a bicyclist rides for 45 minutes at 10 mph when it's 6 degrees C in a
> rainstorm in the dark, upon arrival at home, for how long does she have to
> shower with water at 41 C before her toes thaw out?

Don't you have the standard rain golashes for that kind of thing? Or is
it a clips or die kind of thing? I used to ride to school in that kind
of weather and didn't have a problem, but I wore the little rubber over
the shoe snow booties, too.
Bill Baka

dgk wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 02:02:54 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> If a bicyclist rides for 45 minutes at 10 mph when it's 6 degrees C in a
>> rainstorm in the dark, upon arrival at home, for how long does she have to
>> shower with water at 41 C before her toes thaw out?

> Oh. Cold rain. My absolute favorite.

6C is really not freezing and won't hurt your feet since nothing CAN
freeze but it can get really painful to have your feet that cold
compared to the rest of the body. How about putting a small wash tub in
the shower and letting it fill up with some really warm water and then
stand in it while defrosting the rest of the body. Anything over about
12-15C you can keep your core up by riding faster, but your feet, hands,
and probably even face are going to get very cold. You may want to start
carrying waterproof gloves (even surgeon type) and some sort of
emergency head covering or upper body covering. It is totally not a
style thing, but a large garbage bag can be carried and holes cut for
the head and arms for a one use (who cares what I look like? I'm dry.)
kind of a thing. You can also take a small bag and just make a head
cover for it and then put on some safety goggles to protect your eyes.
There are lots of inventive little things, but you will totally lose
your 'cool' factor.
Bill Baka

6C is average for Vancouver this time of year. I ride all year.
Get Marion in China to send you Exustar bike boots since that is where they
are made. I find the rubber cleats slippery on shiny floors but the feet
are warm and dry.

Claire Petersky wrote:
> If a bicyclist rides for 45 minutes at 10 mph when it's 6 degrees C in a
> rainstorm in the dark, upon arrival at home, for how long does she have to
> shower with water at 41 C before her toes thaw out?
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky
> http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
> See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

If your hair has clogged the tub drain such that several inches of
standing water are present in the tub, 7 minutes.

-bdbafh

In article <Tu_8h.351925$R63.53015@pd7urf1no>,
"nash" <[email protected]> writes:
> 6C is average for Vancouver this time of year. I ride all year.
> Get Marion in China to send you Exustar bike boots since that is where they
> are made. I find the rubber cleats slippery on shiny floors but the feet
> are warm and dry.

I just wrapped strips of inner tube rubber around my
toe clips, attaching them with zip ties. They work
wonderfully, not only for keeping the wind chill off
my toes, but also for keeping shoes more-or-less dry.

I've noticed how when shoes get wet while riding in the
rain, the soakage begins at the toes of the shoes and
gradually seeps back. If you can keep the toe ends of
the shoes dry, the rest of the shoes also stay relatively
dry. However I also use a pair of cheap-o gaiters I got
from 3-Vets; they also help to keep my shoe uppers dry.

cheers,
Tom

"Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <Tu_8h.351925$R63.53015@pd7urf1no>,
> "nash" <[email protected]> writes:
>> 6C is average for Vancouver this time of year. I ride all year.
>> Get Marion in China to send you Exustar bike boots since that is where
>> they
>> are made. I find the rubber cleats slippery on shiny floors but the feet
>> are warm and dry.

> I just wrapped strips of inner tube rubber around my
> toe clips, attaching them with zip ties. They work
> wonderfully, not only for keeping the wind chill off
> my toes, but also for keeping shoes more-or-less dry.
>
> I've noticed how when shoes get wet while riding in the
> rain, the soakage begins at the toes of the shoes and
> gradually seeps back. If you can keep the toe ends of
> the shoes dry, the rest of the shoes also stay relatively
> dry. However I also use a pair of cheap-o gaiters I got
> from 3-Vets; they also help to keep my shoe uppers dry.
>

> cheers,
> Tom

MEC has toe covers too. I like your idea but I have spd's.

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 02:02:54 +0000, Claire Petersky wrote:

> If a bicyclist rides for 45 minutes at 10 mph when it's 6 degrees C in a
> rainstorm in the dark, upon arrival at home, for how long does she have to
> shower with water at 41 C before her toes thaw out?

LOL

I just got in from the first ride with my Exustar winter SPD shoes
from MEC. It was dry but -14 plus windchill. I was very well dressed, but
I didn't have my usual waterproof covers that I wear over my usual shoes.
Feet were *just* beginning to feel a little chilled after 25 mins.

Downsides, with *4* velcro straps they are a little bit of a pain to put
on, and the tread around the cleat is pronounced, i think i need to space
them up a bit. It's tricky to get the cleats to engage, and when they do
there is no "click"

All in all though, i would call them a success.

me wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 02:02:54 +0000, Claire Petersky wrote:
>
>> If a bicyclist rides for 45 minutes at 10 mph when it's 6 degrees C in a
>> rainstorm in the dark, upon arrival at home, for how long does she have to
>> shower with water at 41 C before her toes thaw out?
>>

> LOL
>
> I just got in from the first ride with my Exustar winter SPD shoes
> from MEC. It was dry but -14 plus windchill. I was very well dressed, but
> I didn't have my usual waterproof covers that I wear over my usual shoes.
> Feet were *just* beginning to feel a little chilled after 25 mins.
>
> Downsides, with *4* velcro straps they are a little bit of a pain to put
> on, and the tread around the cleat is pronounced, i think i need to space
> them up a bit. It's tricky to get the cleats to engage, and when they do
> there is no "click"
>
> All in all though, i would call them a success.

You can get your feet down to 0C and not be in any real danger of
frostbite. Below that you can freeze something and that is where the
tissue gets killed from ice crystal formation. Just the salt in your
blood makes the freezing solid temperature of a human about 28F, or
about -2.5C. Above that it just hurts like hell because your feet and
hands (ears too) want to stay the same as the rest of the body. If your
core goes below about 90 then you had better start pedaling a lot faster
to work up some heat. Wake up temperature can be only 95F and you will
never notice being cold, just sleepy until you get some warm coffee or
do a wake up workout. Sort of all relative. I went diving (only about
ten feet) in Yosemite park in snow melt runoff at about 35 degrees max
to recover some camping stuff that had been dropped in the water. After
15 minutes max I was down to maybe 90 degrees and spent the next hour
(at least) hanging out by the campfire. On my list of don't do's.
Bill Baka

<[email protected]> wrote:

>If a bicyclist rides for 45 minutes at 10 mph when it's 6 degrees C in a
>rainstorm in the dark, upon arrival at home, for how long does she have to
>shower with water at 41 C before her toes thaw out?

Until thirteen minutes after her favorite TV show starts.

Do not ask how I know this.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.