Matt Seaton : Greg LeMond



limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
220
63
Crankyfeet said:
Well he's managed one thing. He's completely hijacked Lim's thread with one on-topic post ironically...


I posted Seaton's article - as Seaton is a bloody good journo/writer and because he refers to the possible publication of a LeMond book.
And I assumed most members here would like to read Seaton's views.
 

earth_dweller

New Member
Jul 30, 2006
1,814
0
0
plectrum said:
Ok Bobke getting rinsed in this post was also quite hilarious, but not as funny as Astana being barred from Giro ... hee hee!:) Too laughs on one forum, must be a record!
oh yeah, his take on it of course was to be his ol' xenophobic self and attacked the Italians by comparing them to the French
rolleyes.gif
 

bobke

New Member
Oct 3, 2004
2,134
2
0
"We know that it is not what came to Marcel's mind when he bit into the little madeleine cake, but for me, the January edition of Procycling magazine has a morsel of that poignant Proustian recall. The reason is that it is guest-edited by Greg LeMond."


==using a Proust metaphor in talking about a stupid bike magazine is overreaching and pretentious, and therefor completely predictable that Lim would find it to his liking. Seaton has no idea what Proust did or did not think about.

""When Lance Armstrong was still in short trousers, LeMond was the first truly great American cyclist.""
gratuitous and irrelevant. and wrong...Major Taylor was the first great American cyclist, xenophobe and ignorant of anything not eurocentric.

http://www.majortaylorassociation.org/who.htm


"" LeMond invited me to ghostwrite his autobiography. It didn't pan out. He changed his mind about doing the book; I think he felt his career had somehow been eclipsed by Armstrong's, who had, to boot, published a bestselling autobiography."" I coulda been a contender but Lance beat Greg as Sally Jenkins whipped me, boo hoo. Who cares?

""only I'd think twice about accepting a lift from him. He spent a couple of years racing cars after retiring from cycling, and it shows. There were moments when I thought my life would end upside down in a ditch in Minnesota, my corpse dragged from a smoking Audi by one of those people Garrison Keillor likes to call "Norwegian bachelor farmers".""

Yeah, as a journalist you're leaving out several teensy weensy bits of info_ several DUIs. He was depressed AND had a drinking problem, er a drinking and a driving problem. Facts please first, opinions second.

I love Greg as a racer. If you bring up the driving, you can expect the DUI stories to emerge. If you bring up Lance, you will invite the enmity and envy Greg felt about Lance and the soured relationship.

Greg's palmares stands on its own without some bleeding sycophant euro dude to fawn over him.

Greg is the best, period. Leave him be.
 

Crankyfeet

New Member
Jun 5, 2007
10,817
0
36
bobke said:
==using a Proust metaphor in talking about a stupid bike magazine is overreaching and pretentious, and therefor completely predictable that Lim would find it to his liking. Seaton has no idea what Proust did or did not think about.
Um...read this quote from Drongo's post (#7) and really think about it.

Drongo said:
Bobke might have read Proust, but he has missed the point of the reference entirely.

Seaton wasn't saying that a cycling magazine edited by LeMond was as good as Proust. He was comparing his own experience of reading the magazine to the episode at the end of Overture where he bites into the madeleine and is inexplicably seized with happiness, before realising the source: a memory from his past.
Nice backtrack and attempt at covering your ass as well. The whole point of your first post was basically to attack Lim as if he wrote it... :p
 

Drongo

New Member
Nov 28, 2007
316
0
0
Crankyfeet said:
Um...read this quote from Drongo's post (#7) and really think about it.


Nice backtrack and attempt at covering your ass as well. The whole point of your first post was basically to attack Lim as if he wrote it... :p
Even the backtrack misses the point. Bobke has said the writer 'has no idea what Proust did or did not think about' as if that is a valid criticism of the piece.

Well, he does in fact know what Proust was thinking about, and it wasn't LeMond. Proust says he (or more correctly, the character Marcel) thought about the past. And that is the point Seaton is making. Marcel's sudden rush of happy memory (spurred by the madeleine) was akin to Seaton's sudden rush of happy memory (spurred by LeMond).

Is that pretentious? Maybe it is. Or maybe he's just giving a short-hand description of something that took Proust a page to describe. This incident is the most famous bit of Proust's writing, so perhaps he gave (undue) credit to the audience, perhaps thinking that if even Bobke has read Proust, everyone else will have a passing knowledge of what it is all about.

Oh, and there's something about casting the first stone that comes to mind, but I just can't seem to remember it now...
 

Runitout

New Member
Oct 11, 2005
197
0
0
Drongo, you have to admit that the unintentional irony about "pretentious strivings" was pretty funny.

I laughed so hard I posted on these forums.

(Yes, it's another refugee from DPF. Hi guys!)
 

Crankyfeet

New Member
Jun 5, 2007
10,817
0
36
Runitout said:
Drongo, you have to admit that the unintentional irony about "pretentious strivings" was pretty funny.

I laughed so hard I posted on these forums.

(Yes, it's another refugee from DPF. Hi guys!)
Welcome Runitout. You are most welcome to post here. But you have to survive by the seat of your pants... as Bobke knows well, despite coming in here with no pants on...:p


Good pick up there on the "pretentious strivings" irony. :D
 

bobke

New Member
Oct 3, 2004
2,134
2
0
Proust of course wrote about the power of memory and parts of the self or our past hidden from ourselves that can be unleashed by a sensory experience, a non verbal or preverbal experience such as taste or odor, unlocking a powerful memory...and then of course goes on to write about it for a few thoudans pages.

What in the world looking at a cycling magazine and thinking back on Greg's career has to do with Proust...well, the less said at this point the better.

At any rate, many people yearn for the good old days, until they really think about it and realize that the good old days were generally not all they are cracked up to be.

Looking back is not the way to move forward.
 

Runitout

New Member
Oct 11, 2005
197
0
0
bobke said:
Proust of course wrote about the power of memory and parts of the self or our past hidden from ourselves that can be unleashed by a sensory experience, a non verbal or preverbal experience such as taste or odor, unlocking a powerful memory...and then of course goes on to write about it for a few thoudans pages.

What in the world looking at a cycling magazine and thinking back on Greg's career has to do with Proust...well, the less said at this point the better.

At any rate, many people yearn for the good old days, until they really think about it and realize that the good old days were generally not all they are cracked up to be.

Looking back is not the way to move forward.
Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be, eh Hombre?

Looking back at this thread is not a good way for you to move forward, either - best to stop with the shovel and let this little rottweilier lie. That Drongo has a steel trap mind when he sees false pretences.

You are a "he", aren't you Drongo?
 

thoughtforfood

New Member
Jul 24, 2007
2,474
0
0
54
bobke said:
Proust of course wrote about the power of memory and parts of the self or our past hidden from ourselves that can be unleashed by a sensory experience, a non verbal or preverbal experience such as taste or odor, unlocking a powerful memory...and then of course goes on to write about it for a few thoudans pages.
...at least that is what the CliffsNotes says
 

Runitout

New Member
Oct 11, 2005
197
0
0
thoughtforfood said:
...at least that is what the CliffsNotes says
Don't be like that TFF - we've 'unleashed' some passionate prose from Hombre - I for one, don't want it to stop. We all have to raise the tone of the debate (he says, after three posts) and bobke/Hombre is just doing his bit.

edit: plus, I want to find out what a preverbal experience is. Sounds exciting.
 

thoughtforfood

New Member
Jul 24, 2007
2,474
0
0
54
Runitout said:
Don't be like that TFF - we've 'unleashed' some passionate prose from Hombre - I for one, don't want it to stop. We all have to raise the tone of the debate (he says, after three posts) and bobke/Hombre is just doing his bit.

edit: plus, I want to find out what a preverbal experience is. Sounds exciting.
...oh no, I am in a race to the bottom on this one. Debasement and vitriol are that for which I strive. I want threats of driving to my state to slay me with the sword of righteousness and the like. I want him spitting foamy saliva on his keyboard, pounding on the table, and getting his digital camera ready to take pictures of the state signs as he nears closer to my domicile. I am in this one for the sewage. When some ****er starts going on about his doing time reading "Proust in the original" I am gonna start freaking the **** out and doing my damn well best to incite such an asshole...I will verbally RIP THE ASSHOLE OUT OF A ********** LIKE THAT...I MEAN..........RAISE THE LEVEL!!!!!!..................RAISE THE ****ING LEVEL????!!!!!........I WILL RAISE THE LEVEL OF **** AND **** IN THE PRIVY TO OVERFLOWING IF THAT IS WHAT YOU MEAN.....<breathing hard><breathing hard>....I WILL RAISE THE RIGHTEOUS HAND OF THE GO **** YOURSELF FAIRY(edit: thanks Cranky for the spelling help) AND BRING IT DOWN WITH VENGENCE AND MALACE......RAISE THE ****ING LEVEL???!!!!....RAISE THIS MOTHERFUCKER!!!!.......

Hey, anybody catch American Idol last night? I was busy watching Duke pound Carolina..
 

Runitout

New Member
Oct 11, 2005
197
0
0
thoughtforfood said:
...oh no, I am in a race to the bottom on this one. Debasement and vitriol are that for which I strive. I want threats of driving to my state to slay me with the sword of righteousness and the like. I want him spitting foamy saliva on his keyboard, pounding on the table, and getting his digital camera ready to take pictures of the state signs as he nears closer to my domicile. I am in this one for the sewage. When some ****er starts going on about his doing time reading "Proust in the original" I am gonna start freaking the **** out and doing my damn well best to incite such an asshole...I will verbally RIP THE ASSHOLE OUT OF A ********** LIKE THAT...I MEAN..........RAISE THE LEVEL!!!!!!..................RAISE THE ****ING LEVEL????!!!!!........I WILL RAISE THE LEVEL OF **** AND **** IN THE PRIVY TO OVERFLOWING IF THAT IS WHAT YOU MEAN.....<breathing hard><breathing hard>....I WILL RAISE THE RIGHTEOUS HAND OF THE GO **** YOURSELF FAIRY AND BRING IT DOWN WITH VENGENCE AND MALACE......RAISE THE ****ING LEVEL???!!!!....RAISE THIS MOTHERFUCKER!!!!.......

Hey, anybody catch American Idol last night? I was busy watching Duke pound Carolina..
Solid gold!:D

The sword of righteousness is truly thine!
 

Crankyfeet

New Member
Jun 5, 2007
10,817
0
36
thoughtforfood said:
...oh no, I am in a race to the bottom on this one. Debasement and vitriol are that for which I strive. I want threats of driving to my state to slay me with the sword of righteousness and the like. I want him spitting foamy saliva on his keyboard, pounding on the table, and getting his digital camera ready to take pictures of the state signs as he nears closer to my domicile. I am in this one for the sewage. When some ****er starts going on about his doing time reading "Proust in the original" I am gonna start freaking the **** out and doing my damn well best to incite such an asshole...I will verbally RIP THE ASSHOLE OUT OF A ********** LIKE THAT...I MEAN..........RAISE THE LEVEL!!!!!!..................RAISE THE ****ING LEVEL????!!!!!........I WILL RAISE THE LEVEL OF **** AND **** IN THE PRIVY TO OVERFLOWING IF THAT IS WHAT YOU MEAN.....<breathing hard><breathing hard>....I WILL RAISE THE RIGHTEOUS HAND OF THE GO **** YOURSELF FAIRY(edit: thanks Cranky for the spelling help) AND BRING IT DOWN WITH VENGENCE AND MALACE......RAISE THE ****ING LEVEL???!!!!....RAISE THIS MOTHERFUCKER!!!!.......

Hey, anybody catch American Idol last night? I was busy watching Duke pound Carolina..
I think we have a late entry for the All-time Best Posts thread....:D

And nice play on the spelling reference followed by "VENGENCE AND MALACE". LOL... :p

[And I would never kick a UNC guy when he was down. Never. Especially a friend.]
 

thoughtforfood

New Member
Jul 24, 2007
2,474
0
0
54
Crankyfeet said:
I think we have a late entry for the All-time Best Posts thread....:D

And nice play on the spelling reference followed by "VENGENCE AND MALACE". LOL... :p

[And I would never kick a UNC guy when he was down. Never. Especially a friend.]
Hey, you don't stop to spell check when you are on a roll....SAT vocabulary and a 1st grade level of spelling...dyslexia is a *****..also, if I'm being honest, using "asshole" twice in such close proximity and using "righteous" twice in the same paragraph lead me to the conclusion that it is a B- at best, maybe even a C+. It is never in the writing, it is in the re-writing, which with the quote function, make it impossible to erase mistakes...<sulks away with his head down>

Oh, if this bobke fella is really Bob Roll, dude, I had coffee with you in Athens GA once when you rode for Soft-Ride with a bunch of guys from Sunshine Cycles
 

Runitout

New Member
Oct 11, 2005
197
0
0
thoughtforfood said:
Hey, you don't stop to spell check when you are on a roll....SAT vocabulary and a 1st grade level of spelling...dyslexia is a *****..also, if I'm being honest, using "asshole" twice in such close proximity and using "righteous" twice in the same paragraph lead me to the conclusion that it is a B- at best, maybe even a C+. It is never in the writing, it is in the re-writing, which with the quote function, make it impossible to erase mistakes...<sulks away with his head down>

Oh, if this bobke fella is really Bob Roll, dude, I had coffee with you in Athens GA once when you rode for Soft-Ride with a bunch of guys from Sunshine Cycles
Nah, it's Hombre, dpf's resident polymath. Sometimes Hombredsubaru too, IIRC.

Famous for posts such as this one:

http://www.dailypelotonforums.com/main/index.php?s=&showtopic=5671&view=findpost&p=92274

Still not sure what it was about the scream that convinced him.

Definitely beats a C+ though: I think tenor of the prose needs the repetition - it all meshes with the obsessive character you were channelling - just like the repetition of 'raise the level' - you're just inhabiting your character, like Carey did in the True History of the Kelly Gang or whatever it's called - and that got him a Booker Prize.
 

Gregers

New Member
Feb 1, 2007
534
0
0
65
Runitout said:
Nah, it's Hombre, dpf's resident polymath. Sometimes Hombredsubaru too, IIRC.

Famous for posts such as this one:

http://www.dailypelotonforums.com/main/index.php?s=&showtopic=5671&view=findpost&p=92274

Still not sure what it was about the scream that convinced him.

Definitely beats a C+ though: I think tenor of the prose needs the repetition - it all meshes with the obsessive character you were channelling - just like the repetition of 'raise the level' - you're just inhabiting your character, like Carey did in the True History of the Kelly Gang or whatever it's called - and that got him a Booker Prize.
I love the way that Obergruppenfuhrer Vaugn felt compelled to stamp his little foot on the thread with this inevitable warning:-
Clarification: The only way you can brand a rider as a "doper" can only be based on a verified confession of the rider himself or a finding by an official organisation such as WADA or the UCI. End of story.
 

Bro Deal

New Member
Jun 26, 2006
6,698
4
0
Runitout said:
Nah, it's Hombre, dpf's resident polymath. Sometimes Hombredsubaru too, IIRC.

Famous for posts such as this one:

http://www.dailypelotonforums.com/main/index.php?s=&showtopic=5671&view=findpost&p=92274

Still not sure what it was about the scream that convinced him.

Definitely beats a C+ though: I think tenor of the prose needs the repetition - it all meshes with the obsessive character you were channelling - just like the repetition of 'raise the level' - you're just inhabiting your character, like Carey did in the True History of the Kelly Gang or whatever it's called - and that got him a Booker Prize.
Holy twisted logic, Batman.

"The day I stood on Courchevel and saw Lance scream at rasmussen (how poignant not) for negative racing I knew that ras and Valv and others had gone for the full program. That is my observation which I think now facts bear out, but am not really interested in wheter you accpet it or not.

You have to admit, that based on fact, if someone can keep up with Lance in the mountains they must be doping is not that unrealistic: Basso, Jan, Heras, Pantani... RIGHT? Who else finished with him at a mountain top?"

Great moments in stupidity. Hombre/bobke believes anyone who can keep up with Armstrong while climbing must be doping, but Armstrong was clean. :eek::eek::eek:

That post should probably be enshrined in the "Other Forum Follies" thread. It's just so incredibly dumb.