Matt Seaton was "silly"

POHB

Guest
Following intensive lobbying (well I know a few of us wrote to him) Matt
Seaton has retracted his suggestion of cycle licensing:

"A few weeks ago, I wrote a piece about cyclists and red lights, in which I
argued that we cyclists need to put our own house in order: if we want to be
treated with respect by other road users, we should start earning it. One
way, I said, would be for cyclists to get tested and be licensed. OK, this
was silly (please don't write and tell me so again)"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1726087,00.html

Prompted by that article about red-light running, I counted the lights on my
morning commute,
56 in total. Can anyone beat that?

> Prompted by that article about red-light running, I counted the lights
> on my morning commute,
> 56 in total. Can anyone beat that?

56?

FIFTY SIX???

I've got 20, counting ped crossings - I'd guessed around 8-10 before I
started counting. Maybe we /should/ start jumping them ;-)

POHB wrote:
> Following intensive lobbying (well I know a few of us wrote to him) Matt
> Seaton has retracted his suggestion of cycle licensing:
>
> "A few weeks ago, I wrote a piece about cyclists and red lights, in which I
> argued that we cyclists need to put our own house in order: if we want to be
> treated with respect by other road users, we should start earning it. One
> way, I said, would be for cyclists to get tested and be licensed. OK, this
> was silly (please don't write and tell me so again)"
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1726087,00.html
>
> Prompted by that article about red-light running, I counted the lights on my
> morning commute,
> 56 in total. Can anyone beat that?

No. I have 2 sets of traffic lights, one pelican crossing and one zebra
crossing and three roundabouts.

"POHB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Following intensive lobbying (well I know a few of us wrote to him) Matt
> Seaton has retracted his suggestion of cycle licensing:
>
> "A few weeks ago, I wrote a piece about cyclists and red lights, in which
> I argued that we cyclists need to put our own house in order: if we want
> to be treated with respect by other road users, we should start earning
> it. One way, I said, would be for cyclists to get tested and be licensed.
> OK, this was silly (please don't write and tell me so again)"
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1726087,00.html
>
> Prompted by that article about red-light running, I counted the lights on
> my morning commute,
> 56 in total. Can anyone beat that?

See the C+ forum for discussion about his current article..

http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=90840

Matt arrives at page 9

http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=90840&whichpage=9

Cheers, helen s

POHB said:
Following intensive lobbying (well I know a few of us wrote to him) Matt
Seaton has retracted his suggestion of cycle licensing:

"A few weeks ago, I wrote a piece about cyclists and red lights, in which I
argued that we cyclists need to put our own house in order: if we want to be
treated with respect by other road users, we should start earning it. One
way, I said, would be for cyclists to get tested and be licensed. OK, this
was silly (please don't write and tell me so again)"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1726087,00.html

Prompted by that article about red-light running, I counted the lights on my
morning commute,
56 in total. Can anyone beat that?

On my previous commute from my old house right across London I coulnted 130.

Bryan

In article <[email protected]>, POHB
([email protected]) wrote:

> Prompted by that article about red-light running, I counted the lights on my
> morning commute,
> 56 in total. Can anyone beat that?

I got into the seventies before I lost count.

My only hope in life is to die before I get my comeuppence.

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 08:46:15 +0000, POHB wrote:

> Prompted by that article about red-light running, I counted the lights
> on my morning commute, 56 in total. Can anyone beat that?

In a negative way -- I have to ride for 30 minutes from home in any
direction before encountering even one light. And I can get the 25km to
an occasional place of work passing through no lights and just one
give-way sign.

Mike

Mike Causer wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 08:46:15 +0000, POHB wrote:
>
> > Prompted by that article about red-light running, I counted the lights
> > on my morning commute, 56 in total. Can anyone beat that?

> In a negative way -- I have to ride for 30 minutes from home in any
> direction before encountering even one light. And I can get the 25km to
> an occasional place of work passing through no lights and just one
> give-way sign.

With a bit of devious route planning I can get from home to work
without going through a single traffic light (juction or pedestrian
controlled). Usually I go through 3 (1 junction, 2 PCTL).

...d

> Mike

"POHB" <[email protected]>typed

> Prompted by that article about red-light running, I counted the lights
> on my
> morning commute,
> 56 in total. Can anyone beat that?

I used to have around 65, including Pelican crossings.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Mike Causer wrote:
>In a negative way -- I have to ride for 30 minutes from home in any
>direction before encountering even one light.

I think you've forgotten a direction. I'm sure you can reach lights
in less than 30 minutes Exning-wards.

"POHB" <[email protected]> writes:

> Prompted by that article about red-light running, I counted the
> lights on my morning commute, 56 in total. Can anyone beat that?

Just two and a pedestrian crossing if I go the direct route, none if I
go the summer route.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 08:46:15 -0000, POHB <[email protected]> wrote:

> Prompted by that article about red-light running, I counted the lights on my
> morning commute,
> 56 in total. Can anyone beat that?

My 'A' route has 2 sets in 5 miles, my 'B' and 'C' routes have 1 (a
pelican which is only red to traffic about once every 6 months at teh
time I go past) in about 6 miles, and I would avoid if I used the
psychlopath.

regards, Ian SMith

--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 15:41:27 +0000, Alan Braggins wrote:

> Mike Causer wrote:
>>In a negative way -- I have to ride for 30 minutes from home in any
>>direction before encountering even one light.

> I think you've forgotten a direction. I'm sure you can reach lights in
> less than 30 minutes Exning-wards.

There's a zebra-crossing in Exning, but no other lights. Nearest is on
Exning Road in Newmarket, which would be reachable in under 30 minutes if
I followed the nasty main road, but only just if I follow NCN 51 in one of
it's more sanitary parts.

OTOH, have you seen the new bit of NCN 51 in Exning where cyclists are
advised to cross the road on a corner with *very* limited visibility in
one direction?

Mike

in message
<[email protected]>, Mike
Causer ('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 08:46:15 +0000, POHB wrote:
>
>> Prompted by that article about red-light running, I counted the lights
>> on my morning commute, 56 in total. Can anyone beat that?

> In a negative way -- I have to ride for 30 minutes from home in any
> direction before encountering even one light. And I can get the 25km
> to an occasional place of work passing through no lights and just one
> give-way sign.

There is one traffic light 8 miles east of here, controlling a narrow
hump backed bridge. Going north, there's a light controlled pedestrian
crossing about 8 miles away, but not on a route you're use to go
anywhere. The next traffic light North is about 45 miles away, over the
border in Ayrshire, where they're all heathens. Going west, I think
you'd need to go sixty miles - to The End of the World as We Know It -
to find a traffic light.

I'm fed up with Life 1.0. I never liked it much and now it's getting
me down. I think I'll upgrade to MSLife 97 -- you know, the one that
comes in a flash new box and within weeks you're crawling with bugs.

Mike Causer wrote:
>On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 15:41:27 +0000, Alan Braggins wrote:
>
>> Mike Causer wrote:
>>>In a negative way -- I have to ride for 30 minutes from home in any
>>>direction before encountering even one light.

>> I think you've forgotten a direction. I'm sure you can reach lights in
>> less than 30 minutes Exning-wards.

>There's a zebra-crossing in Exning, but no other lights. Nearest is on
>Exning Road in Newmarket, which would be reachable in under 30 minutes if
>I followed the nasty main road

I claim that counts as "you can reach lights in less than 30 minutes
Exning-wards". (I admit I'd misremembered there being lights in Exning
itself.)

>OTOH, have you seen the new bit of NCN 51 in Exning where cyclists are
>advised to cross the road on a corner with *very* limited visibility in
>one direction?

I haven't. I'll look out next time I'm heading that way.

POHB wrote:
> I counted the lights on my
> morning commute,
> 56 in total. Can anyone beat that?

no, but can anyone /beat/ two lifts on their commute? (I am sure
several could /equal/ it)

best wishes
james

[email protected] wrote:
> no, but can anyone /beat/ two lifts on their commute? (I am sure
> several could /equal/ it)

With or without cycle? Do folding cycles count differently?

Actually, I only use one lift to get me to my desk, but I like the
thought of riding up and down hundreds of lifts with a bike, especially
something big like a tandem.

PhilD

--
<><