Matt Seaton was "silly"

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by POHB, Mar 9, 2006.

  1. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    wafflycat wrote:

    > See the C+ forum for discussion about his current article..
    >
    > http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=90840
    >
    > Matt arrives at page 9
    >
    > http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=90840&whichpage=9

    I agree with you Helen. "Signing the pledge" is an own-goal. It makes
    anyone who signs appear to agreeing to /stop/ running reds. It gives
    publicity to the most common complaint about cyclists and appears to
    validate it. And the sort of people who go through reds are not likely
    to respond to the campaign anyway.

    I'm not going to agree to stop beating my wife either.

    --
    Dave...

  2. On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 08:46:15 -0000, "POHB"
    <[email protected]> said in
    <[email protected]>:

    >Following intensive lobbying (well I know a few of us wrote to him) Matt
    >Seaton has retracted his suggestion of cycle licensing:

    And following some gentle feeding with Clue he has also said this:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1736331,00.html

    concluding:

    "The benefit of helmet use being hard to quantify, the government's
    own Transport Research Laboratory has not even tried. While the
    anti-helmeteers may protest too much, the reason they do so is because
    they fear that if the case for helmets were "proved", then the
    pressure for compulsory wearing would be irresistible. Net result:
    fewer cyclists riding at greater risk. And that, as Australians have
    discovered, is no accident."

    The usual canard about anti-helmet, but otherwise pretty sound :)

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  3. > The usual canard about anti-helmet, but otherwise pretty sound :)

    Sounded like he just regurgitated www.cyclehelmet.org to me...

    -Kristian

  4. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Kristian Davies" <Post to Newsgroup!!> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >> The usual canard about anti-helmet, but otherwise pretty sound :)

    > Sounded like he just regurgitated www.cyclehelmet.org to me...

    And very sensible you would be, too, if you looked at some of the evidence
    for and against wearing a helmet.

    There are many, many threads in this newsgroup that would enlighten you.
    The evidence is that a helmet makes little difference to your safety and may
    increase the risk of some injuries.

    One thing is certain, they do not deflect lorries.

  5. > And very sensible you would be, too, if you looked at some of the evidence
    > for and against wearing a helmet.
    >
    > There are many, many threads in this newsgroup that would enlighten you.
    > The evidence is that a helmet makes little difference to your safety and
    > may increase the risk of some injuries.

    I'm not passing comment on helmets, i'm just saying it's "Sounded like he
    just regurgitated www.cyclehelmet.org to me..."

    :)

    -Kristian

  6. On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:50:08 -0000, "Kristian Davies" <Post to
    Newsgroup!!> said in <[email protected]>:

    >Sounded like he just regurgitated www.cyclehelmet.org to me...

    No, not really. He missed a lot of sound points from
    cyclehelmets.org, and used the "anti-helmet" canard, of which the site
    would probably have disabused him; the most likely explanation is that
    somebody engaged in dialogue and he then followed up some of the
    research links for himself. He is, after all, a journalist. It's
    what they do, allegedly.

    But hey, what would I know? It's not as if I'm on the editorial board
    of cyclehelmets.org or anything, am I? Oh, er...

  7. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 08:46:15 -0000, "POHB"
    > <[email protected]> said in
    > <[email protected]>:
    >
    >> Following intensive lobbying (well I know a few of us wrote to him)
    >> Matt Seaton has retracted his suggestion of cycle licensing:

    > And following some gentle feeding with Clue he has also said this:
    > http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1736331,00.html

    I was very impressed by The Independent's cycling columnist yesterday,
    talking about fixers and a fixed/free switchable hub that's no longer in
    production (but whose inventor would welcome approaches about putting it
    back in production)
    --
    Ambrose

  8. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    Kristian Davies wrote:
    >>The usual canard about anti-helmet, but otherwise pretty sound :)

    > Sounded like he just regurgitated www.cyclehelmet.org to me...

    Journalist in "uses sources" shock...

    BugBear

  9. davek

    davek Guest

    bugbear wrote:
    > Journalist in "uses sources" shock...

    Journalist in "regurgitates press releases" shock.

    Veering off-topic, I'm reminded of this story from the Media Monkey
    column in Monday's Guardian:
    'The Daily Telegraph was on the case of plagiarists last week, with a
    report saying it was "rife at Oxford". A leader-writer took up the
    cause, saying that many students "don't even bother to read the work
    that they cut and paste from the net". But no word on a bit of cutting
    and pasting rather closer to home, three days earlier: "Town halls have
    opened a new front in the war on the mini-motorbike craze that they say
    is sweeping the country," said a piece under the byline of Sarah Womack,
    social affairs correspondent. "Figures show that there has been a
    20-fold increase in the number of mini-motorbikes since 2001, with
    144,000 now in circulation." Compare and contrast with this, from the
    press office area of the Local Government Association's website: "Town
    halls have opened a new front in the war on the mini-motorbike menace
    that is sweeping the country. New figures show that there has been a
    twenty-fold increase ..." And so it goes on. The Telegraph piece is
    lifted almost verbatim from the LGA press release - a fact first pointed
    out by blogger Les Hack on his media-watch website, www.hackles.co.uk.
    Times are hard at the Telegraph at the moment, but was there any need to
    advertise the fact so blatantly?'

    d.