Right at the end he says, "I offended many with my Christmas attack on cyclists. It was meant humorously but so many cyclists have taken it seriously that I plainly misjudged. I am sorry. "
He'll think twice now before calling cyclists self-righteous
Right at the end he says, "I offended many with my Christmas attack on cyclists. It was meant humorously but so many cyclists have taken it seriously that I plainly misjudged. I am sorry. "
Good man. Sure, he could have apologised in stronger terms but I am willing to accept that it was a case of misjudgment.
Cheers, Luke
Agreed. He apologised, and graciously. However, I see two more points.
1. Personally, I feel that we need an apology from this James Harding, presumably his editor, for the letter that he sent out in reply to people who protested.
2. Matthew Parris originally raised a strange point about litter, which didn't sound like something left by normal cyclists, but did sound as if it could be from some race food pick up point, where something went wrong with the clean-up logistics that should have taken place afterwards. This must have happened somewhere near Matthew Parris's place (in the Peak District?). Does anyone know about that?
Right at the end he says, "I offended many with my Christmas attack on cyclists. It was meant humorously but so many cyclists have taken it seriously that I plainly misjudged. I am sorry. "
He'll think twice now before calling cyclists self-righteous
Not necessarily - especially not if he reads all the Guardian-readers' comments in response to Matt Seaton's article.
On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 15:42:10 -0000 someone who may be "Barb" <[email hidden]> wrote this:-
Quoted message said:
The point being made, really, is that it was a "JOKE" (ha, ha!) and we're going way over the top by being upset.
Some other people called for a group of people to be decapitated. Well the word they used was behead. Some of them were sentenced to a few years in prison last year, though they will be let out before the end of the so-called sentence.
It will be interesting to see what government officials do about a white man calling for beheading. My guess is that they will do nothing and the lesson one can draw from that is that there is one law for Muslims and another one for white ex MPs.
Hundreds of people have complained to the press watchdog about a newspaper column which they claimed encouraged the beheading of cyclists. The Press Complaints Commission has had 200 objections to comments by The Times columnist and former MP Matthew Parris.
I will be very surprised if they hold the writer or "news"paper to account for this vile article. This organisation has a long record of dismissing complaints raised by sustainable transport interests.
"Nigel Randell" <nigel_randell@_1.web> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
I got this from the editor yesterday:
Dear Mr Randell,
Thank you for taking the time to write to me about Matthew Parris's article (My Week, December 7).
As someone who regularly rides to work and who likes to go on cycling holidays, I shared your alarm, initially fearing that Matthew had it in for me too. But I think it was immediately clear that he was exaggerating for effect - and for a good cause: cyclists, as much as anyone else, must share his determination to protect the natural world from litter and pollution.
I have received many similar e-mails and take note of the heartfelt indignation. You may also have seen the piece that ran in the paper on Monday in defence of the cyclist. While I admire the passion of the cycling lobby and count myself one of their number, I think we do ourselves no favours when we lose our sense of humour and I hope that you, like me, will continue to enjoy Matthew Parris's excellent writing. That said, two wheels good etc.
Yours,
James Harding
Maybe he did have a word or two.
That was the standard reply from the editor going out to those who emailed him.
I also got an e-mail from Matthew Parris himself. I had thrown in an invitation to him to join me on a ride with my local CTC group. He declined my invitation, but the gist of his reply was that he has always cycled and enjoyed it but that it is for him a form of transport and he doesn't particularly enjoy riding in a group. Fair enough.
So.... he is a cyclist after all. Maybe there is some sort of work-ethic involved here that it's OK to cycle if there is a point to your journey, but if you are doing it for fun then it's to be viewed with suspicion.
In article <97e80c8b-8b56-44c2-bf6e- [email hidden]>, spindrift [email hidden] says...
Quoted message said:
Bravo that man, it takes guts to admit you were wrong, a quality Clarkson, that weedy bloke who used to be married to Julie Burchill, Havers and Hoey clearly lack.
All of them said they would use their vehicles as weapons to driver cyclists off the roads.
I don't know about the others, but Clarkson probably said it in an amusing way,
Right at the end he says, "I offended many with my Christmas attack on cyclists. It was meant humorously but so many cyclists have taken it seriously that I plainly misjudged. I am sorry. "
Quoted message said:
He'll think twice now before calling cyclists self-righteous
Not necessarily - especially not if he reads all the Guardian-readers' comments in response to Matt Seaton's article.
You mean the one that compares cyclists on the Guardian cycling forum to The taliban?
The taliban stone homosexuals to death, subjugate and torture women and children and destroy priceless historical artifacts. The cycling thread discusses good rear lights and chat about short cuts through cities.
The sense of perspective displayed by those posters- probably refugees from seafespeeding or the ABD- display the same rank cowardice and dishonesty as you, nugent, when you lied about cyclists condoning vandalism.
Prove me wrong.
Post your evidence- or wonder why so much of your life is spent attacking people for stuff they haven't done....
In article <[email hidden]>, Nigel Randell nigel_randell@_1.web says...
Quoted message said:
Rob Morley said:
In article <97e80c8b-8b56-44c2-bf6e- [email hidden]>, spindrift [email hidden] says...
Quoted message said:
Bravo that man, it takes guts to admit you were wrong, a quality Clarkson, that weedy bloke who used to be married to Julie Burchill, Havers and Hoey clearly lack.
All of them said they would use their vehicles as weapons to driver cyclists off the roads.
I don't know about the others, but Clarkson probably said it in an amusing way,
That's what Parris said about his article
Parris said it was intended to be a joke, Clarkson is actually funny ...
In article <[email hidden]>, Nigel Randell nigel_randell@_1.web says...
Quoted message said:
Rob Morley said:
In article <97e80c8b-8b56-44c2-bf6e- [email hidden]>, spindrift [email hidden] says...
> Bravo that man, it takes guts to admit you were wrong, a quality > Clarkson, that weedy bloke who used to be married to Julie Burchill, > Havers and Hoey clearly lack. > > All of them said they would use their vehicles as weapons to driver > cyclists off the roads. > I don't know about the others, but Clarkson probably said it in an amusing way,
That's what Parris said about his article
Parris said it was intended to be a joke, Clarkson is actually funny ...
Clarkson has never in his life been funny, not even accidentally. He's a pompous, ill-mannered, boorish oaf, and there's nothing remotely amusing in that.
"Simon Brooke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Clarkson has never in his life been funny, not even accidentally. He's a pompous, ill-mannered, boorish oaf, and there's nothing remotely amusing in that.
Agreed. The woolly-haired w@nker is a nasty bit of work.
Simon Brooke said the following on 04/01/2008 08:06:
Quoted message said:
Clarkson has never in his life been funny, not even accidentally. He's a pompous, ill-mannered, boorish oaf, and there's nothing remotely amusing in that.
But apart from all that, he can be quite funny :-)
On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 08:12:56 -0000 someone who may be "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote this:-
Quoted message said:
Agreed. The woolly-haired w@nker is a nasty bit of work.
He is certainly not funny.
However, his style did suit the commentary on a programme about the raid on St Nazaire. I had expected his commentary to be awful, but I was wrong and pleasantly surprised by it.
In article <[email hidden]>, Simon Brooke [email hidden] says...
Quoted message said:
Clarkson has never in his life been funny, not even accidentally. He's a pompous, ill-mannered, boorish oaf, and there's nothing remotely amusing in that.
In article <[email hidden]>, Nigel Randell nigel_randell@_1.web says...
Quoted message said:
Rob Morley wrote: > In article <97e80c8b-8b56-44c2-bf6e- > [email hidden]>, spindrift > [email hidden] says...
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
>> All of them said they would use their vehicles as weapons to driver >> cyclists off the roads. >> > I don't know about the others, but Clarkson probably said it in an > amusing way,
That's what Parris said about his article
Parris said it was intended to be a joke, Clarkson is actually funny ...
Clarkson has never in his life been funny, not even accidentally. He's a pompous, ill-mannered, boorish oaf, and there's nothing remotely amusing in that.
I don't find him pompous, I don't find him generally ill-mannered, although he does act the role of the boor regularly. He is not hilarious but I find him often amusing.
On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 15:42:10 -0000 someone who may be "Barb" <[email hidden]> wrote this:-
Quoted message said:
The point being made, really, is that it was a "JOKE" (ha, ha!) and we're going way over the top by being upset.
Some other people called for a group of people to be decapitated. Well the word they used was behead. Some of them were sentenced to a few years in prison last year, though they will be let out before the end of the so-called sentence.
"so-called"?
Quoted message said:
It will be interesting to see what government officials do about a white man calling for beheading. My guess is that they will do nothing and the lesson one can draw from that is that there is one law for Muslims and another one for white ex MPs.
Or that there is one law for people who can be shown to have angrily called for a beheading and the same law for people who cannot be shown to have angrily called for a beheading but could reasonably demonstrate, by reference, for example, to their appearances on programmes such as "Grumpy OId Men", that their attempt at humour had misfired.
On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 09:40:35 GMT someone who may be [email hidden] (Ekul Namsob) wrote this:-
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Some other people called for a group of people to be decapitated. Well the word they used was behead. Some of them were sentenced to a few years in prison last year, though they will be let out before the end of the so-called sentence.
"so-called"?
So-called.
If people are sentenced to say six years in prison then they should generally serve six years in prison. If the courts wish to sentence people to three years in prison, followed by three years of probation, then that is what they should do.
Sentences should be honest, otherwise the result is things like this
In that case someone given a so-called sentence of eight years was seen at the crime scene less than three years after he killed a pedestrian. Of course the officials who let him out couldn't even be bothered to warn the victim's relatives.
On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 09:40:35 GMT someone who may be [email hidden] (Ekul Namsob) wrote this:-
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Some other people called for a group of people to be decapitated. Well the word they used was behead. Some of them were sentenced to a few years in prison last year, though they will be let out before the end of the so-called sentence.
"so-called"?
So-called.
If people are sentenced to say six years in prison then they should generally serve six years in prison. If the courts wish to sentence people to three years in prison, followed by three years of probation, then that is what they should do.
Largely, I would agree with you. However, how would you encourage people to reform their behaviour? A six year sentence is a maximum period of time that a convict should be expected to serve. A person who demonstrates, say, four years of outstanding behaviour should surely be released earlier than one who demonstrates four years of poor behaviour.
If people are sentenced to say six years in prison then they should generally serve six years in prison. If the courts wish to sentence people to three years in prison, followed by three years of probation, then that is what they should do.
Sentences should be honest, otherwise the result is things like this
In that case someone given a so-called sentence of eight years was seen at the crime scene less than three years after he killed a pedestrian. Of course the officials who let him out couldn't even be bothered to warn the victim's relatives.
"If prisoners are not considered a danger to the public, they can gain access to the open prison estate and from there can be considered for work placements and home and family contact."
What, exactly, do you have to do in order to be considered "a danger to the public" ?
The point being made, really, is that it was a "JOKE" (ha, ha!) and we're going way over the top by being upset.
Some other people called for a group of people to be decapitated. Well the word they used was behead. Some of them were sentenced to a few years in prison last year, though they will be let out before the end of the so-called sentence.
It will be interesting to see what government officials do about a white man calling for beheading. My guess is that they will do nothing and the lesson one can draw from that is that there is one law for Muslims and another one for white ex MPs.
Oooooooooops we are going off topic.
I do not think yer average hoodie reads The Times- I think its Tory "ironic" humour of the Boris Johnson variety. Must admit I did not think Parris was such a [censored]. Tam