Maverick dirtdog

MariusATV

Oct 17, 2019
Hey. Step son has asked me to get him this bike, I've never heard of the brand and can't find any reviews on it. Anyone have any info?

Well, the bike is here: https://maverickbikes.com.au/products/maverick-dirt-dog
As far as the general type goes, it’s a Dirt. Basically an overgrown BMX, made for jumps and stunts. Not the bike you buy if you want him to ride to school.
I’m not too impressed with the spec. RST forks have become better since I first encountered them, but are still very much a budget brand.
A 9x100 front hub on a disc brake bike for serious jumping is an outdated standard.
Lot’s of name-brand components. Basically means Maverick has payed a parts manufacturer to relabel parts from their general stock with the maverick brand.
Doesn’t automatically make it bad, but it does make it difficult to compare. Several oddities in the sales pitch. ”A cassette thst is ready for a cogset.” Thing is, a cassette IS a cogset. And who has ever seen a 150 mm brake rotor? 140, yes, 160 sure. 180/203 of coursei.

Reactions: MariusATV
Also all that about being ”easily upgradeable”. Only b/c something is mechanically possible doesn’t guarantee that it’s economically sensible. Bike parts are a lot more expensive when bought piecemeal as compared to when bought as complete assemblies. Buying + upgrading an entry-level bike will cost more than buying a mid-range bike straight off. What is means is that Maverick knows it’s a fairly low-end bike, but are trying to sweeten the deal by saying it doesn’t have to stay that way.
It’s better than a department store bike, and is likely to hold up well to fairly enthusiastic riding. But not a bike fo the truly dedicated riders.