Maverick ML7 cracked frame

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by mikem, Mar 15, 2006.

  1. mikem

    mikem Guest

    I ride an original Maverick ML7 (root beer color) and recently had one
    of the welds on the rear triangle (near the rear disc mount) crack. I
    have been going back and forth with Maverick for 3 weeks on the
    warranty - frame has a lifetime warranty. They plan on replacing the
    rear triangle, the issue is they do not make the root beer color
    anymore. They want to swap with a silver or black rear. I'm not
    very keen on this and they have offered a new frame at cost. I have
    two questions:

    1) Has anyone else experience cracking with Maverick Frames? Is this
    common?
    2) How has Maverick been on warranty?

    Besides the mismatched color, I'm pretty sure the new rear triangle
    will change the bike geometry - as the triangle will be from a newer
    Maverick ML7.2 and they have made numerous changes.

    Any thoughts?

    Tags:

  2. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    mikem wrote:
    > I ride an original Maverick ML7 (root beer color) and recently had one
    > of the welds on the rear triangle (near the rear disc mount) crack. I
    > have been going back and forth with Maverick for 3 weeks on the
    > warranty - frame has a lifetime warranty. They plan on replacing the
    > rear triangle, the issue is they do not make the root beer color
    > anymore. They want to swap with a silver or black rear. I'm not
    > very keen on this and they have offered a new frame at cost. I have
    > two questions:
    >
    > 1) Has anyone else experience cracking with Maverick Frames? Is this
    > common?
    > 2) How has Maverick been on warranty?
    >
    > Besides the mismatched color, I'm pretty sure the new rear triangle
    > will change the bike geometry - as the triangle will be from a newer
    > Maverick ML7.2 and they have made numerous changes.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Yeah, buy one at cost, sell it on Ebay, and get away from that crap.

    Greg

    --
    "All my time I spent in heaven
    Revelries of dance and wine

  3. mikem wrote:
    > I ride an original Maverick ML7 (root beer color) and recently had one
    > of the welds on the rear triangle (near the rear disc mount) crack.
    > I have been going back and forth with Maverick for 3 weeks on the
    > warranty - frame has a lifetime warranty. They plan on replacing the
    > rear triangle, the issue is they do not make the root beer color
    > anymore. They want to swap with a silver or black rear. I'm not
    > very keen on this and they have offered a new frame at cost. I have
    > two questions:
    >
    > 1) Has anyone else experience cracking with Maverick Frames? Is
    > this common?
    > 2) How has Maverick been on warranty?
    >
    > Besides the mismatched color, I'm pretty sure the new rear triangle
    > will change the bike geometry - as the triangle will be from a newer
    > Maverick ML7.2 and they have made numerous changes.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Yep - Pete has been having some problems with his Maverick frame, too. The
    replacement frame part they sent to him is also faulty.

    I would definitely get the new frame, and when it arrives, sell it
    immediately.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  4. Per Phil, Squid-in-Training:
    >Yep - Pete has been having some problems with his Maverick frame, too. The
    >replacement frame part they sent to him is also faulty.

    To be fair to Maverick, it's not the frame in my case. My frame came from
    another maker. Instead it's a suspension link/BB shell that Maverick uses and
    supplies to the maker of my frame.

    Having said that, it sounds like Maverick is being penny-wise/pound-foolish in
    the OP's case.

    Ellsworth gave me a hard time on a blatantly-bad weld. In the end, they still
    shipped a new main triangle; but in the intervening time I think a lot of people
    read my post and the followups from other unhappy Ellsworth riders and my guess
    is that their reputation suffered - maybe not that much, but OTOH how much
    additional cost would there have been in a more graceful honoring of warranty?
    --
    PeteCresswell

  5. Scott Gordo

    Scott Gordo Guest

    mikem wrote:
    > I ride an original Maverick ML7 (root beer color) and recently had one
    > of the welds on the rear triangle (near the rear disc mount) crack. I
    > have been going back and forth with Maverick for 3 weeks on the
    > warranty - frame has a lifetime warranty. They plan on replacing the
    > rear triangle, the issue is they do not make the root beer color
    > anymore. They want to swap with a silver or black rear. I'm not
    > very keen on this and they have offered a new frame at cost. I have
    > two questions:
    >
    > 1) Has anyone else experience cracking with Maverick Frames? Is this
    > common?
    > 2) How has Maverick been on warranty?
    >
    > Besides the mismatched color, I'm pretty sure the new rear triangle
    > will change the bike geometry - as the triangle will be from a newer
    > Maverick ML7.2 and they have made numerous changes.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Ask Maverick about the geometry issue. That would seriously suck if
    their replacement didn't really work with the front triangle. And, if I
    may be so gauche, how much IS 'at cost'? I mean, either way it seems
    kinda like you paid a premium for a boutique frame and lost, and that
    sucks. Especially at a juncture like the disc brake. I don't know what
    the forces acting on it are like compared to, say, the bb, but a stubby
    little mount doesn't sound like a common source for a popped weld.

    /s
    sticking with hardtails

  6. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    mikem wrote:
    > I ride an original Maverick ML7 (root beer color) and recently had one
    > of the welds on the rear triangle (near the rear disc mount) crack. I
    > have been going back and forth with Maverick for 3 weeks on the
    > warranty - frame has a lifetime warranty. They plan on replacing the
    > rear triangle, the issue is they do not make the root beer color
    > anymore. They want to swap with a silver or black rear. I'm not
    > very keen on this and they have offered a new frame at cost. I have
    > two questions:
    >
    > 1) Has anyone else experience cracking with Maverick Frames? Is this
    > common?
    > 2) How has Maverick been on warranty?
    >
    > Besides the mismatched color, I'm pretty sure the new rear triangle
    > will change the bike geometry - as the triangle will be from a newer
    > Maverick ML7.2 and they have made numerous changes.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Read your warranty carefully and maybe call a lawyer.

    Shawn

  7. Llatikcuf

    Llatikcuf Guest

    mikem wrote:
    > I ride an original Maverick ML7 (root beer color) and recently had one
    > of the welds on the rear triangle (near the rear disc mount) crack. I
    > have been going back and forth with Maverick for 3 weeks on the
    > warranty - frame has a lifetime warranty. They plan on replacing the
    > rear triangle, the issue is they do not make the root beer color
    > anymore. They want to swap with a silver or black rear. I'm not
    > very keen on this and they have offered a new frame at cost. I have
    > two questions:
    >
    > 1) Has anyone else experience cracking with Maverick Frames? Is this
    > common?
    > 2) How has Maverick been on warranty?
    >
    > Besides the mismatched color, I'm pretty sure the new rear triangle
    > will change the bike geometry - as the triangle will be from a newer
    > Maverick ML7.2 and they have made numerous changes.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    With so many recent posts concerning Maverick frames, I think I'll
    avoid them.

    -Nate

  8. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Llatikcuf wrote:
    > mikem wrote:
    >> I ride an original Maverick ML7 (root beer color) and recently had one
    >> of the welds on the rear triangle (near the rear disc mount) crack. I
    >> have been going back and forth with Maverick for 3 weeks on the
    >> warranty - frame has a lifetime warranty. They plan on replacing the
    >> rear triangle, the issue is they do not make the root beer color
    >> anymore. They want to swap with a silver or black rear. I'm not
    >> very keen on this and they have offered a new frame at cost. I have
    >> two questions:
    >>
    >> 1) Has anyone else experience cracking with Maverick Frames? Is this
    >> common?
    >> 2) How has Maverick been on warranty?
    >>
    >> Besides the mismatched color, I'm pretty sure the new rear triangle
    >> will change the bike geometry - as the triangle will be from a newer
    >> Maverick ML7.2 and they have made numerous changes.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?

    > With so many recent posts concerning Maverick frames, I think I'll
    > avoid them.
    >
    > -Nate

    M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K!

    Everytime I see one of these posts I can't help thinking about the
    Looney Toons episode with Yosemite Sam, I think.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  9. mikem

    mikem Guest

    The weld is not the brake mount, but where the rear triangle comes
    together - that happens to be close to the rear disc brake. Kinda a
    bad design to have the weld so close to the stress of the rear brake.

    My concern on the geometry stems from the front fork. I put the new
    Maverick DUC32 fork on the bike last year. The fork was made for
    bikes like the ML7, but changes the geometry of the bike a fair bit
    (they changed the frame a bit on new versions to accomodate). It took
    me a long time to get used to the change - I almost got rid of the
    fork. It does not take a lot to change the ride characteristics of
    this bike.

    I'm prettty annoyed that I would need to pay anything for a new frame -
    I already paid once. I don't have the money for a new frame right now
    and may just have to deal with the rear triangle that they send - color
    and all.

  10. Scott Gordo

    Scott Gordo Guest

    mikem wrote:
    > The weld is not the brake mount, but where the rear triangle comes
    > together - that happens to be close to the rear disc brake. Kinda a
    > bad design to have the weld so close to the stress of the rear brake.
    >
    > My concern on the geometry stems from the front fork. I put the new
    > Maverick DUC32 fork on the bike last year. The fork was made for
    > bikes like the ML7, but changes the geometry of the bike a fair bit
    > (they changed the frame a bit on new versions to accomodate). It took
    > me a long time to get used to the change - I almost got rid of the
    > fork. It does not take a lot to change the ride characteristics of
    > this bike.
    >
    > I'm prettty annoyed that I would need to pay anything for a new frame -
    > I already paid once. I don't have the money for a new frame right now
    > and may just have to deal with the rear triangle that they send - color
    > and all.

    Color-shmolor.

    /s