Mavic 519 vs. 517

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Justin Collins, Apr 21, 2003.

  1. Hi, I was wondering which I should look into getting, the 519 or 517 rim from mavic.

    I am riding XC

    Justin

    Justin Collins [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Justin Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<%8%[email protected]>...
    > Hi, I was wondering which I should look into getting, the 519 or 517 rim from mavic.
    >
    > I am riding XC

    Neither. Get the 618.

    JD

  3. JD wrote:
    > "Justin Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<%8%[email protected]>...
    >
    >>Hi, I was wondering which I should look into getting, the 519 or 517 rim from mavic.
    >>
    >>I am riding XC
    >

    > Neither. Get the 618.
    >
    > JD

    And get fresh tires - my wtb velociraptors aren't holding on well anymore, the sidewalls must be
    weak. I know my tires were fairly pumped, because I had just pumped it up two days before, and I
    managed to fudge a bunnyhop and get a pinch flat. AND dent my fairly new 618! WAAAH!

    At least it didn't crack like the 517 - that was a slow leak I should have noticed a lot earlier and
    a stairway hop (cleared the first step or two, didn't get the last one... d'oh!)

    Jon Bond gonna have some fun with his 618 and an adjustable wrench

  4. Justin Collins wrote:
    > Hi, I was wondering which I should look into getting, the 519 or 517 rim from mavic.
    >
    > I am riding XC

    How many pounds do you put on the scale?

    I've seen figures reported by Mavic in germany saying that specific rims are for a maximum weight,
    they have been shown in the magazine named Bike and also quoted on the Danish Cycelist Union (Dansk
    Cycelist Forbund):

    Komplette MTB-hjul <85 kg: Crossmax SL, Crossmax SL Disc, Crossroc Disc & Crossride <100 kg:
    Crossmax XL & Crossmax XL Disc <115 kg: Deemax UST

    MTB-fælge <75 kg: X517 <90 kg: X139, X139 Disc, X221, X223, X223 Disc, X317 Disc, X618, X3.1 &
    X3.1 Disc <115 kg: F219, F519, D321 Disc, D3.1 Disc.

    (1 kg = 2.2 pounds)

    I assume the weight must included the bike, water and all plus it's total weight not just the stress
    on an individual wheel.

    Regards

    Bruno

  5. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Justin Collins wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, I was wondering which I should look into getting, the 519 or 517 rim from mavic.
    >>
    >> I am riding XC
    >>

    > How many pounds do you put on the scale?
    >
    > I've seen figures reported by Mavic in germany saying that specific rims are for a maximum weight,
    > they have been shown in the magazine named Bike and also quoted on the Danish Cycelist Union
    > (Dansk Cycelist Forbund):
    >
    > Komplette MTB-hjul <85 kg: Crossmax SL, Crossmax SL Disc, Crossroc Disc & Crossride <100 kg:
    > Crossmax XL & Crossmax XL Disc <115 kg: Deemax UST
    >
    > MTB-fælge <75 kg: X517 <90 kg: X139, X139 Disc, X221, X223, X223 Disc, X317 Disc, X618, X3.1 &
    > X3.1 Disc <115 kg: F219, F519, D321 Disc, D3.1 Disc.
    >
    > (1 kg = 2.2 pounds)
    >
    > I assume the weight must included the bike, water and all plus it's total weight not just the
    > stress on an individual wheel.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Bruno

    I weigh just over 100kg and have broken both a x219 and an x519. The x219 cracked around the spoke
    holes; the x519 cracked between spoke holes inside under the rim tape.

    David

  6. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Justin Collins wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, I was wondering which I should look into getting, the 519 or 517 rim from mavic.
    >>
    >> I am riding XC
    >>

    > How many pounds do you put on the scale?
    >
    > I've seen figures reported by Mavic in germany saying that specific rims are for a maximum weight,
    > they have been shown in the magazine named Bike and also quoted on the Danish Cycelist Union
    > (Dansk Cycelist Forbund):
    >
    > Komplette MTB-hjul <85 kg: Crossmax SL, Crossmax SL Disc, Crossroc Disc & Crossride <100 kg:
    > Crossmax XL & Crossmax XL Disc <115 kg: Deemax UST
    >
    > MTB-fælge <75 kg: X517 <90 kg: X139, X139 Disc, X221, X223, X223 Disc, X317 Disc, X618, X3.1 &
    > X3.1 Disc <115 kg: F219, F519, D321 Disc, D3.1 Disc.

    That's just marketing crap. The X618 weighs the same as an F519 but the X618 is much stronger.
    They're just trying to market the F519 as a freeride rim so they come up with stupid tables showing
    how much weight an F519 is SUPPOSED to handle.

    Greg

  7. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >I was wondering which I should look into getting, the 519 or 517 rim from mavic.
    >
    >I am riding XC

    I'm about 210#.

    I've broken one frame, but my Mavic 517's haven't given me any trouble. Yet...
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  8. Fredzep

    Fredzep Guest

    "Justin Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%8%[email protected]...
    > Hi, I was wondering which I should look into getting, the 519 or 517 rim from mavic.
    >
    > I am riding XC
    >
    > Justin

    > Justin Collins [email protected]

    Whatever rims you decide on, the way they are built is just as important as the components
    you choose.

    Fredzep

  9. > That's just marketing crap. The X618 weighs the same as an F519 but the X618 is much stronger.
    > They're just trying to market the F519 as a freeride rim so they come up with stupid tables
    > showing how much weight an F519 is SUPPOSED to handle.
    >
    > Greg

    Greg, serious question, what info do you have that the 618 is stronger? I am looking to buy a new
    wheel and was trying to compare them, it seems the 519 has a wider profile?

    Steve E.

  10. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > RE/
    > >I was wondering which I should look into getting, the 519 or 517 rim from mavic.
    > >
    > >I am riding XC
    >
    > I'm about 210#.
    >
    > I've broken one frame, but my Mavic 517's haven't given me any trouble. Yet...
    > -----------------------
    > PeteCresswell

    Maybe I'm just a lightweight, too, (185#) but my handbuilt 517's on my SS have never shown signs of
    wear or weakness, and I've been thrashing them pretty good for 3 years. Maybe it's the lack of urban
    huckness that keeps them young...

    Paladin

  11. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Paladin wrote:
    > "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>RE/
    >>
    >>>I was wondering which I should look into getting, the 519 or 517 rim from mavic.
    >>>
    >>>I am riding XC
    >>
    >>I'm about 210#.
    >>
    >>I've broken one frame, but my Mavic 517's haven't given me any trouble. Yet...
    >>-----------------------
    >>PeteCresswell
    >

    > Maybe I'm just a lightweight, too, (185#) but my handbuilt 517's on my SS have never shown signs
    > of wear or weakness, and I've been thrashing them pretty good for 3 years. Maybe it's the lack of
    > urban huckness that keeps them young...

    At 210# my rear 517 split along the spoke holes and both rims showed stress around the spoke holes
    from the first ride. Never again.

    Greg

  12. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    spademan o---[) * wrote:
    >>That's just marketing crap. The X618 weighs the same as an F519 but the X618 is much stronger.
    >>They're just trying to market the F519 as a freeride rim so they come up with stupid tables
    >>showing how much weight an F519 is SUPPOSED to handle.
    >>
    >>Greg
    >>

    > Greg, serious question, what info do you have that the 618 is stronger? I am looking to buy a new
    > wheel and was trying to compare them, it seems the 519 has a wider profile?

    The 618 is double-eyeleted, one of the few Mavics that still are. You can tension the spokes much
    tighter with these without worry of cracking and pull through of the single-eyeleted rims. There's
    actually no reason to buy a 519 since the 618 exists.

    Greg

  13. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    > Paladin wrote:
    > > "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > >>RE/

    > >>I'm about 210#.
    > >>
    > >>I've broken one frame, but my Mavic 517's haven't given me any trouble. Yet...
    > >>-----------------------
    > >>PeteCresswell
    > >

    > > Maybe I'm just a lightweight, too, (185#) but my handbuilt 517's on my SS have never shown signs
    > > of wear or weakness, and I've been thrashing them pretty good for 3 years. Maybe it's the lack
    > > of urban huckness that keeps them young...
    > >

    > At 210# my rear 517 split along the spoke holes and both rims showed stress around the spoke holes
    > from the first ride. Never again.
    >
    > Greg

    yeah, I've heard of that happening. Maybe I'm just lucky, or my number's not up yet. How much of
    your experience can you attribute to the spokes, the nipples, and the builder of the wheel? My
    wheelbuilder is really super good and builds wheels for pros all over the world, and I've never had
    a problem. The only one to compare to his hand-built 517's are the Mavic Cross-something I bought
    new on ebay.

    Paladin

  14. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >At 210# my rear 517 split along the spoke holes and both rims showed stress around the spoke holes
    >from the first ride. Never again.

    What did your repace it with?
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  15. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Paladin wrote:
    > "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>Paladin wrote:

    >>>Maybe I'm just a lightweight, too, (185#) but my handbuilt 517's on my SS have never shown signs
    >>>of wear or weakness, and I've been thrashing them pretty good for 3 years. Maybe it's the lack of
    >>>urban huckness that keeps them young...
    >>>

    >>At 210# my rear 517 split along the spoke holes and both rims showed stress around the spoke holes
    >>from the first ride. Never again.
    >>
    >>Greg
    >

    > yeah, I've heard of that happening. Maybe I'm just lucky, or my number's not up yet. How much of
    > your experience can you attribute to the spokes, the nipples, and the builder of the wheel?

    Zero. I build my own wheels and my 618s are flawless.

    The only thing saving you is the 25#, lower tire pressures probably keep you from splitting along
    the spoke holes (don't know what pressures Pete C is running but I run 2.1" size tires pretty hight
    to avoid pinch flats). And/or you could have rims from a better batch. Undertensioning 517s
    prevents cracking around the spoke holes but undertensioning them isn't good for a clydesdale in
    the long run.

    Greg

  16. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > RE/
    >
    >>At 210# my rear 517 split along the spoke holes and both rims showed stress around the spoke holes
    >>from the first ride. Never again.
    >

    > What did your repace it with?

    The only appropriate double-eyeleted rim I could find: 618.

    Greg

  17. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    [email protected] (Paladin) wrote:

    >"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote ...

    >> At 210# my rear 517 split along the spoke holes and both rims showed stress around the spoke
    >> holes from the first ride. Never again.
    >
    >yeah, I've heard of that happening. Maybe I'm just lucky, or my number's not up yet. How much of
    >your experience can you attribute to the spokes, the nipples, and the builder of the wheel? My
    >wheelbuilder is really super good and builds wheels for pros all over the world, and I've never had
    >a problem. The only one to compare to his hand-built 517's are the Mavic Cross-something I bought
    >new on ebay.

    My guess is that GT runs black anodized rims (being the fashion plate he is), and that you don't
    (being the pragmatist you are). The difference in failure rate (of the spoke pull-through mode) is
    very significant.

  18. Mark Hickey wrote:
    > [email protected] (Paladin) wrote:
    >

    >>"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote ...
    >

    >>>At 210# my rear 517 split along the spoke holes and both rims showed stress around the spoke
    >>>holes from the first ride. Never again.
    >>
    >>yeah, I've heard of that happening. Maybe I'm just lucky, or my number's not up yet. How much of
    >>your experience can you attribute to the spokes, the nipples, and the builder of the wheel? My
    >>wheelbuilder is really super good and builds wheels for pros all over the world, and I've never
    >>had a problem. The only one to compare to his hand-built 517's are the Mavic Cross-something I
    >>bought new on ebay.
    >

    > My guess is that GT runs black anodized rims (being the fashion plate he is), and that you don't
    > (being the pragmatist you are). The difference in failure rate (of the spoke pull-through mode) is
    > very significant.
    >
    > Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the silver Mavic rims just grey/silver anodized instead of black
    anodized? When I cracked my Silver 517, it was at a spoke hole, which was somewhat offset from the
    point of impact and dent.

    Jon Bond

  19. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Mark Hickey wrote:
    > [email protected] (Paladin) wrote:
    >

    >>"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote ...
    >

    >>>At 210# my rear 517 split along the spoke holes and both rims showed stress around the spoke
    >>>holes from the first ride. Never again.
    >>
    >>yeah, I've heard of that happening. Maybe I'm just lucky, or my number's not up yet. How much of
    >>your experience can you attribute to the spokes, the nipples, and the builder of the wheel? My
    >>wheelbuilder is really super good and builds wheels for pros all over the world, and I've never
    >>had a problem. The only one to compare to his hand-built 517's are the Mavic Cross-something I
    >>bought new on ebay.
    >

    > My guess is that GT runs black anodized rims (being the fashion plate he is), and that you don't
    > (being the pragmatist you are). The difference in failure rate (of the spoke pull-through mode) is
    > very significant.

    Nope, I haven't run dark anodized rims since my Araya RM-20s back in the
    80s. But I heard that all Mavic rims are now anodized even if it's just silver? Is that
    not the case?

    Greg

  20. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Paladin wrote:
    > > > "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > Maybe I'm just a lightweight, too, (185#) but my handbuilt 517's on my SS have never shown
    > > > signs of wear or weakness, and I've been thrashing them pretty good for 3 years. Maybe it's
    > > > the lack of urban huckness that keeps them young...
    > > >

    > > At 210# my rear 517 split along the spoke holes and both rims showed stress around the spoke
    > > holes from the first ride. Never again.
    > >
    > > Greg
    >

    > yeah, I've heard of that happening. Maybe I'm just lucky, or my number's not up yet. How much of
    > your experience can you attribute to the spokes, the nipples, and the builder of the wheel? My
    > wheelbuilder is really super good and builds wheels for pros all over the world, and I've never
    > had a problem. The only one to compare to his hand-built 517's are the Mavic Cross-something I
    > bought new on ebay.

    Keep an eye on the material next to those grommets. I decimated a set of really well built 517s in 6
    months on the Ritchie Blackmore.

    JD