Mavic A319 Rims

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by MSeries, Dec 12, 2005.

  1. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Are these any good ? compared to MA2s for example ?

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    MSeries wrote:
    > Are these any good ? compared to MA2s for example ?

    Lack of sockets at the spoke holes (joining upper and lower walls) means
    they're not as good as MA2s... or A719. A719 can take higher spoke
    tension; generally an excellent touring/utility rim, IMHO. A319 should be
    stronger than MA3 though.

    ~PB

  3. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > MSeries wrote:
    >> Are these any good ? compared to MA2s for example ?

    > Lack of sockets at the spoke holes (joining upper and lower walls) means
    > they're not as good as MA2s... or A719. A719 can take higher spoke
    > tension; generally an excellent touring/utility rim, IMHO. A319 should be
    > stronger than MA3 though.

    I rode my new bike yesterday which has Mavic Ksyrium Elites with flat
    spokes. I was caught by surprise at how much of a strong sidewind the spokes
    catch and was nearly blown off!

    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  4. Al C-F

    Al C-F Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:

    > I rode my new bike yesterday which has Mavic Ksyrium Elites with flat
    > spokes. I was caught by surprise at how much of a strong sidewind the spokes
    > catch and was nearly blown off!

    I believe the expression is 'carrying too much sail for the conditions'.

  5. Pete Biggs wrote:
    >>Are these any good ? compared to MA2s for example ?

    > Lack of sockets at the spoke holes (joining upper and lower walls) means
    > they're not as good as MA2s... or A719. A719 can take higher spoke
    > tension; generally an excellent touring/utility rim, IMHO. A319 should be
    > stronger than MA3 though.

    The Mavic website claims the A319 is socketed:

    http://www.tech-mavic.com/uk/sources/Produits/ROUTE/Jantes/2006RoadRimRange/Tech_Spec.pdf

    (username mavic-com, password dealer)

    As far as I can tell, the only advantage to the A719 over the A319 is
    30g weight saving and more drilling options. Oh, and a welded rim joint,
    but whether that's an advantage is debatable.

    Anthony

  6. Blonde

    Blonde Guest

    Anthony Jones wrote:
    > As far as I can tell, the only advantage to the A719 over the A319 is
    > 30g weight saving and more drilling options. Oh, and a welded rim joint,
    > but whether that's an advantage is debatable.
    >
    > Anthony

    Hmm I think I'd be better of with 'heavier' (and thicker) rims anyway,
    as my MA3s are obviously made from camambert, being concave and overdue
    due for replacement after only 14 months use. I have V brakes which is
    obviously part of the problem and I've done reasonable mileage but I
    still can't afford to have to replace wheels every year!

  7. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Blonde wrote:
    > Anthony Jones wrote:
    > > As far as I can tell, the only advantage to the A719 over the A319 is
    > > 30g weight saving and more drilling options. Oh, and a welded rim joint,
    > > but whether that's an advantage is debatable.
    > >
    > > Anthony

    > Hmm I think I'd be better of with 'heavier' (and thicker) rims anyway,
    > as my MA3s are obviously made from camambert, being concave and overdue
    > due for replacement after only 14 months use. I have V brakes which is
    > obviously part of the problem and I've done reasonable mileage but I
    > still can't afford to have to replace wheels every year!

    I'll check what I have. They are Mavic something or others and have
    been well chewed by V-brakes on normal commuting. The rear is
    definitely going concave and the front not far behind.
    I am strongly tempted to move to disks. Just costing the difference
    between getting new front forks, headset and stem, front wheel, and a
    hydraulic front brake, (up to around 200 quid) vs just buying a new
    bike such as the giant Terrago disk at a mere 400 notes.

    ...d

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Anthony Jones wrote:
    > Pete Biggs wrote:
    >>> Are these any good ? compared to MA2s for example ?

    >> Lack of sockets at the spoke holes (joining upper and lower walls)
    >> means
    >> they're not as good as MA2s... or A719. A719 can take higher spoke
    >> tension; generally an excellent touring/utility rim, IMHO. A319
    >> should be
    >> stronger than MA3 though.

    > The Mavic website claims the A319 is socketed:

    http://www.tech-mavic.com/uk/sources/Produits/ROUTE/Jantes/2006RoadRimRang
    e/Tech_Spec.pdf

    > (username mavic-com, password dealer)

    Problems with my computer mean I can't get the pdf to load up now but I
    don't believe that's correct. I thoroughly looked into the specs (via
    various sites) at the time I chose rims for my tourer. I would have got a
    pair of A319s if they were socketed. I have noticed mistakes with
    pictures & diagrams on mavic.com before. I opted for A719 rear (for high
    strength & reliability) and MA3 front (to economise).

    > As far as I can tell, the only advantage to the A719 over the A319 is
    > 30g weight saving and more drilling options. Oh, and a welded rim
    > joint,
    > but whether that's an advantage is debatable.

    I think the weight saving comes from the socketed design, which is able to
    use less material and a lighter alloy, yet have greater strength overall.

    ~PB

  9. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Blonde wrote:
    > Anthony Jones wrote:
    >> As far as I can tell, the only advantage to the A719 over the A319 is
    >> 30g weight saving and more drilling options. Oh, and a welded rim
    >> joint, but whether that's an advantage is debatable.
    >>
    >> Anthony

    > Hmm I think I'd be better of with 'heavier' (and thicker) rims anyway,
    > as my MA3s are obviously made from camambert, being concave and
    > overdue due for replacement after only 14 months use. I have V brakes
    > which is obviously part of the problem and I've done reasonable
    > mileage but I still can't afford to have to replace wheels every year!

    In this case the extra weigh doesn't make it stronger. It's an inferior
    cheaper design. I doubt thickness at the braking surface is much/any
    different. The extra material is reinforcement inside the rim
    (alternative to sockets).

    ~PB

  10. Pete Biggs wrote:
    > Problems with my computer mean I can't get the pdf to load up now but I
    > don't believe that's correct. I thoroughly looked into the specs (via
    > various sites) at the time I chose rims for my tourer. I would have got a
    > pair of A319s if they were socketed. I have noticed mistakes with
    > pictures & diagrams on mavic.com before. I opted for A719 rear (for high
    > strength & reliability) and MA3 front (to economise).

    Well, if you're right, I agree -- socketed definitely wins over single
    eyelets.

    Anthony

  11. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Anthony Jones wrote:

    > The Mavic website claims the A319 is socketed:

    http://www.tech-mavic.com/uk/sources/Produits/ROUTE/Jantes/2006RoadRimRang
    e/Tech_Spec.pdf

    > (username mavic-com, password dealer)

    PDF now loaded. Blimey, that page does look convincing so I could be
    wrong... or out of date....

    Interesting note at the bottom: "The Mavic rims not mentioned in the above
    [2006] chart have not changed. The technical features can therefore be
    found in previous years' technical manuals". Does this necessarily mean
    the rims in this chart have changed?

    ~PB

  12. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

  13. MSeries wrote:
    > Are these any good ? compared to MA2s for example ?

    For what it's worth, I made a wheel with the A319 rim a few months ago
    (See the "Hub dynamo wheelbuild - spoke length" thread from October).
    The rim does have double eyelets. I can't compare to MA2s, but I've been
    very happy with the A319 on my daily commute on rough (currently
    regularly gritted) roads. Time will tell on the longevity. I could
    measure the amount of aluminium between the breaking surface and the
    wear-indicator pit, if you're interested.

    Bob