Mavic A719? Triple Butted? Shimano 105? Deore LX or XT?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Finbar, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Finbar

Finbar New Member

Hi all,
    An excellent forum.
    Can anyone help me out?

I have a diamondback frame (Lakeside - 26.1) and its setup for use as a commuter bike - though I also love to get out into Yorkshire (UK) a lot in Spring and summer and even do a bit of loaded touring round England once or twice a year.

Problem: rear spokes snap far too often. I have poor wheels (Alex VP-20F rims and Shimano AceraX rear hub), and I weigh about 190 Ib's but they sometimes snap even when the bike is unloaded. After a while I got them hand built - I asked for double-butted spokes and they rebuilt them with standard (I was annoyed. They blamed my weight, riding style and said that double-butted spokes don't help in their experience).

It still happens occasionally.

I've decided to but a new back wheel and I thought:

Mavic A719 rim (36 spoke) with double??/triple?? butted rims. Handbuilt. Not same wheelbuider.
    Is this a good choice (this is the limit of my budget however)

Given my needs, what HUB though?
    Shimano 105? A mountain bike hub (LX, XT?) What are the relative advantages.
    Your advice will be really appreciated.
    Thanks v. much

Tags:

2. gubaguba

gubaguba New Member

Lies; all lies. Though your wheel may not be of top quality what you hear from the bike shop is nonsence. Broken spokes is an indication of a poor wheel build. Spokes don't break due to a single certain stress. They break because they are stressed repeatedly and the relaxed as the wheel turns. Just like bending a wire back and forth until it breaks. This is less likely to happen if the wheel is built correctly. I heard the "it must be your riding style line" too. I then asked "well I have an even lighter wheelset and it has over 5000 miles on it with no broken spokes how come?" It has been my experience I'm more likely to get a flat spot on the rim riding a loaded bike hard than break a spoke. Than its my style!!! Anyway I have been using some 105's for exactly what you describe and have had no trouble. It won't hurt you to look for a higher spoke count as well 32 or 36. Get the wheel from someone who stands behind their product.