Mavic Aksium Wheels

My custom wheels are lighter by 100g and are the same price. Plus they are stronger. 32 spokes front and rear!

The Shimano wheel bearings don't come close to the qaulity of the Mavics. I have had a number of Shimano wheels over the years and have experienced two bearing failures. The Mavic bearings are silky smooth whereas the Shimano bearings have noticeable roughness.

I admit a 32 spoke wheel will be stronger but the improved accelleration of the mavics won me over. When I stand on the pedals the bike accellerates much faster than my shimano hubbed 32H spoke wheels. I am a heavy rider, but have not had to true my mavics yet.

I recently bought a new bike and got the shop to swap out the OEM wheelset for the Mavic Aksium Race. i've done about 230km in 1.5 weeks and it still doesn't spin as smooth as the Campy Proton at the same number for km. anybody care to tell me how long it was before their Aksiums started to spin smoothly? cheers.

boon

I suspect something is wrong, I've got two pairs of Aksium Wheels are they were both silky smooth out the box.Mind you I can only compare them to my Shimano Wheels 105 and Ultegra.

boon said:
I recently bought a new bike and got the shop to swap out the OEM wheelset for the Mavic Aksium Race. i've done about 230km in 1.5 weeks and it still doesn't spin as smooth as the Campy Proton at the same number for km. anybody care to tell me how long it was before their Aksiums started to spin smoothly? cheers.

boon

From experience nothing compares to the silky smooth bearings of Campagnolo. Even the 80's pre-cartridge hubs of campy were already reknowed for this. Mavics are always a little rough compared to campys even after breaking them in. Shimano?... well...

hd reynolds said:
From experience nothing compares to the silky smooth bearings of Campagnolo. Even the 80's pre-cartridge hubs of campy were already reknowed for this. Mavics are always a little rough compared to campys even after breaking them in. Shimano?... well...
thanks for your insight. so it sounds like there's nothing wrong with the Aksiums - i'm just comparing it to a much better wheelset. oh well, i'll give the aksiums a few more km's before making the campy protons as the main wheelset for my new ride.

boon

I've got a set of Mavic Cosmos(approx 300US) and they have been great so far. I have about 1500 to 1800 miles on them and they are still true.

AmpedCycle said:
I'm getting a new Tarmac, too. What size do you ride? Do you have a picture of it? I'm getting a 61, and still, haven't seen the frame!
I ride a 58cc and love it. I've been riding a Litspeed for the past four years and would have to say the Tarmac is a better ride.

Frank

I've ridden the Tarmac Comp on about 10 rides of about 20 miles each. I also have a 2005 trek 1000 that I do ride. I do notice a big diffrence in how I feel after riding the Tarmac. With the Trek 1000 I feel like I've been vibrated in the arms, ass and lower back. With the Trek 1000 I can feel the grains of sand below me. After Riding the Tarmac, I feel so much better after the ride. I never get that Vibrated feeling. I wish I had the carbon bars and can only imagine it being an even better ride....but $2000.00 was my budget. I dont feel the grains of sand beneath, but I never feel like I'm disconnected to the road. If anything, I do like the slightly twitchy front compared to the trek 1000. Its a pleasure to ride the Tarmac. Its a smooth Rocket Ship, I just wish my engine could match the bike. And the Mavic Askiums are holding up well. They seem heavy but very stong. Its only 200 so miles so lets so how they last after a couple thousand miles.

AmpedCycle said:
I'm getting a new Tarmac, too. What size do you ride? Do you have a picture of it? I'm getting a 61, and still, haven't seen the frame!