Mavic BB tool wanted

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by mclarenandrew, Mar 6, 2003.

  1. Anybody know where I can get hold of the tool for tightening the adjustable rings on an old mavic
    bottom bracket? I want the one that engages 4 notches at a time, made by Mavic. - I'm trying to
    remove an old one and put on a new one, its a bit tight and the normal adjustable ring tools with
    just one hook don't really cut it.

    Andrew McLaren

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Anybody know where I can get hold of the tool for tightening the adjustable rings on an old mavic
    >bottom bracket? I want the one that engages 4 notches at a time, made by Mavic. - I'm trying to
    >remove an old one and put on a new one, its a bit tight and the normal adjustable ring tools with
    >just one hook don't really cut it.

    Sorry I don't know where to find that tool - I suggest you find a shop with the VAR lockring pliers.
    You can apply a lot more force with than with the typical hook tool. Most shops I have worked at
    owned a pair.

    --Paul

  3. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > Anybody know where I can get hold of the tool for tightening the
    adjustable
    > rings on an old mavic bottom bracket? I want the one that engages 4
    notches at
    > a time, made by Mavic. - I'm trying to remove an old one and put on a new
    one,
    > its a bit tight and the normal adjustable ring tools with just one hook
    don't
    > really cut it.
    >
    > Andrew McLaren

    You tried the new Park Dura Ace lockring tool? If the gaps in the Mavic bb are the same as my D/A,
    it should work great.

    Mike

    >Anybody know where I can get hold of the tool for tightening the adjustable rings on an old mavic
    >bottom bracket? I want the one that engages 4 notches at a time, made by Mavic. - I'm trying to
    >remove an old one and put on a new one, its a bit tight and the normal adjustable ring tools with
    >just one hook don't really cut it.

    You may want to try to find a shop, or friend, that has the campy lockring tool. It is a nicer tool
    that engages multiple notches at once so there is less chance of slipping and it spreads the load
    over more notches.
    -------------
    Alex

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > Anybody know where I can get hold of the tool for tightening the
    adjustable
    > rings on an old mavic bottom bracket? I want the one that engages 4
    notches at
    > a time, made by Mavic. - I'm trying to remove an old one and put on a new
    one,
    > its a bit tight and the normal adjustable ring tools with just one hook
    don't
    > really cut it.

    If you want a nice tool that's easy to use get a Var #16 instead

  6. Thanks everyone, I'll try these suggestions