Mavic Cassette Help Please

old&slow

Jun 23, 2003
I just bought a pile of used bits incl a Mavic cassette which appears barely used but am unsure about how to stack the sprockets. They don't have the usual one wide spline tooth so quite obviously the 'shifting ramps' (which in Mavic's case is a series of teeth with a twisted profile) have to be set in some particular way relative to the adjoining sprocket. Searched the web without success & got a blank look at the LBS. How is it done ? Many thanks !

Originally posted by old&slow
I just bought a pile of used bits incl a Mavic cassette which appears barely used but am unsure about how to stack the sprockets. They don't have the usual one wide spline tooth so quite obviously the 'shifting ramps' (which in Mavic's case is a series of teeth with a twisted profile) have to be set in some particular way relative to the adjoining sprocket. Searched the web without success & got a blank look at the LBS. How is it done ? Many thanks !
Try the campy way and see if it works.How about an index mark on each cog?

Originally posted by old&slow

Each cog is stamped with it's teeth number. Align those numbers onto the casette, and you're ready to go. Yellow spacers for 9 speed campy or shimano, and black spacers for 10 speed campy. The spacers are different diameters. The largest ones go between the larger cogs, and smaller on down. etc.....Does that help???

Big help thanks ...... I thought the tooth number stamping might have been it, and had tried but saw it didn't really put the shift ramps in any obvious pattern so discounted it. Simple answer is usually the one that works !