Mavic Comete disc wheels vs Campagnolo Ghibli

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Charles Hizark, Mar 10, 2004.

  1. I have noticed that in recent year more riders are using the
    solid carbon fiber disc wheels as opposed the Campagnolo
    Ghibli. Does anyone know the advantages and disadvantages
    other than the sinusoidal benefits that the Ghibli disc's
    have. My guess is that since the Ghibli is made of kevlar
    there is some loss of energy since they flex more.

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Charles Hizark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have noticed that in recent year more riders are using
    > the solid carbon fiber disc wheels as opposed the
    > Campagnolo Ghibli. Does anyone know the advantages and
    > disadvantages other than the sinusoidal benefits that the
    > Ghibli disc's have. My guess is that since the Ghibli is
    > made of kevlar there is some loss of energy since they
    > flex more.

    My guess is durability.

    Having said that, if I buy another disc, I'm going Accel 2!

    Mike

  3. Woogoogle

    Woogoogle Guest

    [email protected] (Charles Hizark) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have noticed that in recent year more riders are using
    > the solid carbon fiber disc wheels as opposed the
    > Campagnolo Ghibli. Does anyone know the advantages and
    > disadvantages other than the sinusoidal benefits that the
    > Ghibli disc's have. My guess is that since the Ghibli is
    > made of kevlar there is some loss of energy since they
    > flex more.

    I would guess it's because they're all sponsored by Mavic
    since the cost of those babies is outrageous.
    :)
    At the 2003 Worlds, I would guess 80% of the riders were
    using Mavic Comete and maybe 70% were using Mavic Io front.

  4. [email protected] (WooGoogle) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Charles Hizark) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I have noticed that in recent year more riders are using
    > > the solid carbon fiber disc wheels as opposed the
    > > Campagnolo Ghibli. Does anyone know the advantages and
    > > disadvantages other than the sinusoidal benefits that
    > > the Ghibli disc's have. My guess is that since the
    > > Ghibli is made of kevlar there is some loss of energy
    > > since they flex more.
    >
    > I would guess it's because they're all sponsored by Mavic
    > since the cost of those babies is outrageous.
    > :)
    > At the 2003 Worlds, I would guess 80% of the riders
    > were using Mavic Comete and maybe 70% were using Mavic
    > Io front.
    It's still unclear, cost is usually not a factor for pro
    teams

  5. Woogoogle

    Woogoogle Guest

    [email protected] (Charles Hizark) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (WooGoogle) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (Charles Hizark) wrote in message ne-
    > > ws:<[email protected]>...
    > > > I have noticed that in recent year more riders are
    > > > using the solid carbon fiber disc wheels as opposed
    > > > the Campagnolo Ghibli. Does anyone know the advantages
    > > > and disadvantages other than the sinusoidal benefits
    > > > that the Ghibli disc's have. My guess is that since
    > > > the Ghibli is made of kevlar there is some loss of
    > > > energy since they flex more.
    > >
    > > I would guess it's because they're all sponsored by
    > > Mavic since the cost of those babies is outrageous.
    > > :)
    > > At the 2003 Worlds, I would guess 80% of the riders were
    > > using Mavic Comete and maybe 70% were using Mavic Io
    > > front.
    > It's still unclear, cost is usually not a factor for
    > pro teams

    Maybe - but the US national team is notoriously poor
    relative to the track cycling powers.

    If someone is sponsoring your team, you use their equipment
    or equipment with their logo. Some folks were not using
    Mavic or Campagnolo disc wheels, and pointedly removed all
    logos from the wheels. No one removed the markings from a
    Campagnolo disc. I think there were a few Mavic wheels
    without logos in the rear, however most of them proudly
    displayed their Mavic decals.

  6. Virtually no difference, it just depends on who your team
    supplier is. The Campy disc is also carbon and hollow just
    like the comete, but is painted white.

    joey d