Mavic Comete disc wheels vs Campagnolo Ghibli

Charles Hizark

Guest
I have noticed that in recent year more riders are using the
solid carbon fiber disc wheels as opposed the Campagnolo
Ghibli. Does anyone know the advantages and disadvantages
other than the sinusoidal benefits that the Ghibli disc's
have. My guess is that since the Ghibli is made of kevlar
there is some loss of energy since they flex more.

"Charles Hizark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have noticed that in recent year more riders are using
> the solid carbon fiber disc wheels as opposed the
> Campagnolo Ghibli. Does anyone know the advantages and
> disadvantages other than the sinusoidal benefits that the
> Ghibli disc's have. My guess is that since the Ghibli is
> made of kevlar there is some loss of energy since they
> flex more.

My guess is durability.

Having said that, if I buy another disc, I'm going Accel 2!

Mike

[email protected] (Charles Hizark) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have noticed that in recent year more riders are using
> the solid carbon fiber disc wheels as opposed the
> Campagnolo Ghibli. Does anyone know the advantages and
> disadvantages other than the sinusoidal benefits that the
> Ghibli disc's have. My guess is that since the Ghibli is
> made of kevlar there is some loss of energy since they
> flex more.

I would guess it's because they're all sponsored by Mavic
since the cost of those babies is outrageous.
:)
At the 2003 Worlds, I would guess 80% of the riders were
using Mavic Comete and maybe 70% were using Mavic Io front.

[email protected] (WooGoogle) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Charles Hizark) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > I have noticed that in recent year more riders are using
> > the solid carbon fiber disc wheels as opposed the
> > Campagnolo Ghibli. Does anyone know the advantages and
> > disadvantages other than the sinusoidal benefits that
> > the Ghibli disc's have. My guess is that since the
> > Ghibli is made of kevlar there is some loss of energy
> > since they flex more.
>
> I would guess it's because they're all sponsored by Mavic
> since the cost of those babies is outrageous.
> :)
> At the 2003 Worlds, I would guess 80% of the riders
> were using Mavic Comete and maybe 70% were using Mavic
> Io front.
It's still unclear, cost is usually not a factor for pro
teams

[email protected] (Charles Hizark) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (WooGoogle) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (Charles Hizark) wrote in message ne-
> > ws:<[email protected]>...
> > > I have noticed that in recent year more riders are
> > > using the solid carbon fiber disc wheels as opposed
> > > the Campagnolo Ghibli. Does anyone know the advantages
> > > and disadvantages other than the sinusoidal benefits
> > > that the Ghibli disc's have. My guess is that since
> > > the Ghibli is made of kevlar there is some loss of
> > > energy since they flex more.
> >
> > I would guess it's because they're all sponsored by
> > Mavic since the cost of those babies is outrageous.
> > :)
> > At the 2003 Worlds, I would guess 80% of the riders were
> > using Mavic Comete and maybe 70% were using Mavic Io
> > front.
> It's still unclear, cost is usually not a factor for
> pro teams

Maybe - but the US national team is notoriously poor
relative to the track cycling powers.

If someone is sponsoring your team, you use their equipment
or equipment with their logo. Some folks were not using
Mavic or Campagnolo disc wheels, and pointedly removed all
logos from the wheels. No one removed the markings from a
Campagnolo disc. I think there were a few Mavic wheels
without logos in the rear, however most of them proudly
displayed their Mavic decals.

Virtually no difference, it just depends on who your team
supplier is. The Campy disc is also carbon and hollow just
like the comete, but is painted white.

joey d