Mavic Cosmic Carbone clinchers

orbearider1212

Jan 21, 2005
Can anybody give me some information on the Mavic Cosmic Carbone Clinchers?
Do they ride nice?
Worth the money?
Any other information would be greately appriceated.

orbearider1212 said:
Can anybody give me some information on the Mavic Cosmic Carbone Clinchers?
Do they ride nice?
Yes.
orbearider1212 said:
Worth the money?
I think so. I never ridden any other deep section rims but compared to all other wheels I've ridden they feel so much faster, and the sound will make you go faster still
smile.gif
. They are a bit heavy compared to many other deep section rims but unless you mostly ride in the mountains I don't think that is an issue.
They are also very durable.

Take a look here:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=3
and here:
http://www.fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3
Search for topics regarding the Tour wheel test.
I have also found this qoute on the fairwheel bikes' forum (from madcow who I believe know more than most people regarding bikes). Speaking of the merits of ADA and LW he said this:
"I still think that Cosmics feel faster on a flat or slightly down hill ride." (I hope he is talking about the Cosmic Carbones...)

While there may be other wheels that are better for certain applications, personal preferences and so on and so forth I think it is fairly safe to state that the Cosmics are among the best.

The only downside I can think of compared to other "softer" wheels that I've ridden is that I have lost traction several times when hitting pebbles in corners. But I'm not sure if this is due to the stiffer wheels or if it's just coincidence. Maybe someone can enlighten me?
/J

jstock said:
I have also found this qoute on the fairwheel bikes' forum (from madcow who I believe know more than most people regarding bikes). Speaking of the merits of ADA and LW he said this:
"I still think that Cosmics feel faster on a flat or slightly down hill ride." (I hope he is talking about the Cosmic Carbones...)

While there may be other wheels that are better for certain applications, personal preferences and so on and so forth I think it is fairly safe to state that the Cosmics are among the best.

The only downside I can think of compared to other "softer" wheels that I've ridden is that I have lost traction several times when hitting pebbles in corners. But I'm not sure if this is due to the stiffer wheels or if it's just coincidence. Maybe someone can enlighten me?
/J

Cosmic Carbone's are more aero than Lightweights or ADAs, so they will be a bit faster.

If you're losing traction in a corner, then it's either a tire issue or a cornering issue. It's not the wheels.

alienator said:
If you're losing traction in a corner, then it's either a tire issue or a cornering issue. It's not the wheels.
Somehow I was expecting you to answer, I guess I spend to much time reading Internet forums
smile.gif
It's unlikely that it is the tires since I have used the same tires on other wheels. And it seems unlikely that it is a cornering issue. So if you say it's not a wheel issue then I guess all that is left is bad luck (or that I'm wrong of course
smile.gif
).

Maybe losing traction was not the best way to phrase it, bouncing might be better. I think that around five times I have hit a pebble or small rock (to small for me to notice) while leaning in a corner, where the result has been that my rear wheel has left the ground (or lost traction). I've not had this happen with my other wheels, at least not that I can remember. Of course this could just be a coincidence, but I thought that there was a possibility that a stiffer wheel would bounce more easily. But maybe that's not true? I have lost traction many times with other wheels on snow and ice though.
biggrin.gif

sounds like you could have too much pressure in the tyres

Cosmics are supposed to be good wheels, but in Australia they're WAY overpriced, especially for wheels that aren't really carbon. So, as far as being worht the money, it obviously depends how much you can get them for.

Did you know they're not carbon (the "Carbone Pros" are)? They're thinner aluminium with a carbon fairing!