mavic cosmic carbone or zipp 404?

sevenrider310

Jan 20, 2004
I am trying to decide between these two sets of wheels...I know the Mavics are heavier but Ive heard they are much more durable. Anyone out there use both? I could use all the help I can get.
Obviously wheels are for fast flats and rollers...

sevenrider310 said:
I am trying to decide between these two sets of wheels...I know the Mavics are heavier but Ive heard they are much more durable. Anyone out there use both? I could use all the help I can get.
I have neither, but know lots w/ the Zipps.

I can't understand why anyone would buy the Mavics. The Zipps are plenty durable from everything I've heard since the newer version came out over a year ago. I don't know what the Mavics weigh as sew-ups, but if the weight diff is as wide as it is between the clincher versions... no contest there either. I DO think the Mavics look cool, though. If I could get a used pair for a few $hundo, I would go for it. But not anything like what they actually sell for.

sevenrider310 said:
I've pretty much decided on the 404's over the carbones. The zipps are made from real carbon fiber, instead of what seems to be some sort of plastic for the carbones. The zipps are also 300 grams lighter (approx the weight of a saddle) and are slightly more aero because they have a deeper rim (58mm vs. mavic's 50mm). The zipps do have a few more spokes, but I figure that doesn't affect the aerodynamics much and helps with wheel strength. Plus there's a guy selling zipp 404s on ebay for $900 all the time, which is cheaper than I've seen new carbones for. I haven't heard of any problems with the

easy go for the zipp 404.

the mavic is made from plastic,is 2kg and only for clinchers.

buy the zipp 404 TUBULAR. It's lighter, better braking, safer.

An other option; buy the Campagnolo Bora G3.

I guess I'm going to be the only one to say go with the Carbone's. I've had a set for 2 years. I used them everyday up till a couple months ago when i finally bought a practice wheelset. They are NOT plastic. They roll really nice, their areo, and they catch less side wind than the 404's.

Rompinrhino said:
I guess I'm going to be the only one to say go with the Carbone's. I've had a set for 2 years. I used them everyday up till a couple months ago when i finally bought a practice wheelset. They are NOT plastic. They roll really nice, their areo, and they catch less side wind than the 404's.

Mavic Carbone is not the best choise because;

-The are heavy (2kg!!!!!!!!!!!!)
-they HAVE NO CARBON. They have an alu rim with a cf layer on it. But this is just for the looks.
-zipp 404 is more aero
-they have an alu braking surface.

Your comment about sidewinds is really (!..!). It simply the choise, do you want an aero wheel or a wheel that catches no sidewind. The Mavic is 50mm and the zipp 404 58mm. So the zipp is more aero. This
Rompinrhino said:
their (Carbone) areo, and they catch less side wind than the 404's.
makes no sense.

marlon1 said:
-The are heavy (2kg!!!!!!!!!!!!)
-they HAVE NO CARBON. They have an alu rim with a cf layer on it. But this is just for the looks.
-zipp 404 is more aero
-they have an alu braking surface.

Your comment about sidewinds is really (!..!). It simply the choise, do you want an aero wheel or a wheel that catches no sidewind. The Mavic is 50mm and the zipp 404 58mm. So the zipp is more aero. This makes no sense.

yes, the carbones are heavier. My comment about sidewinds is really what? In fact this is true. Think about it. Its ok, you can think right? The deeper the rim, the more air that is caught in a sidewind. So in fact, since the Carbones are 50mm, and not 58, they will catch less sidewind. This makes a huge difference. I didn’t say they caught none. That extra 8mm is not worth it. It will save you maybe 2 seconds over the long haul, but if your stuck fighting crosswinds, then your screwed anyway because your going to have to spend more energy fighting your bike.

If your so concerned with aerodynamics and 8mm, then get yourself a pair of these. Your obviously not using your full aero potential with those puny 58 mm, why not go 90.

i believe that the real decision is between the zipps and the boras. both extremely fast pro-level wheelsets. just a question of zipp quality vs. campy quality.

sphen138 said:
i believe that the real decision is between the zipps and the boras. both extremely fast pro-level wheelsets. just a question of zipp quality vs. campy quality.
I'm ordering a pair of Boras myself this week, and went through this whole debate and research.

I was looking at Mavic Cosmic Carbones or Boras... being a Campagnolo kind guy :) I was more favorable towards the Bora off the hop, but researched the Mavics as well. As many have said they are incredibly heavy by todays standards. On a sidenote, by October the new Mavic Cosmic Carbone Pro should be available..what I have heard is its the Ksyrium SL rim/spokes on a real Carbon fairing.. I bet its still heavier than the 404/Bora though... alot of Pros in the TdF were riding this wheel.

Also remember changing to these special wheels requires the use of special brakepads as well... When you buy the Bora wheel you only get the pads themselves..NOT the holders... Since I also use Eurus wheels, this is causing a potential problem as you can only use the specific Bora pads with the Bora wheels...when I switch back to the Eurus I need to go back to the regular brakepads... I can't locate the Record padholders themselves anywhere, so I am getting a pair of Centaur brakes cheap and stealing the pad holders off of them for the Carbon pads, and I'll just swap pads when I swap wheels... bit of a pain.

I decided to buy new wheels for the next season, and because I have similar problem as most of You (I can not decide which wheels should I buy), I'm going to attend autumn bicycle exhibition, where I'm going to make the final decision. I should see all the wheels of the next season there, so the decision should be less difficult.

In my opinion, buying Campy Bora would be ideal solution, but theese wheels are too expensive for me. I could buy two pairs of Mavics or Zipps instead of one pair of Boras. If You are going to spend so much money for one pair of wheels, You should consider buying ADA or LIGHTWEIGHT wheels.

Blasp said:
I decided to buy new wheels for the next season, and because I have similar problem as most of You (I can not decide which wheels should I buy), I'm going to attend autumn bicycle exhibition, where I'm going to make the final decision. I should see all the wheels of the next season there, so the decision should be less difficult.

In my opinion, buying Campy Bora would be ideal solution, but theese wheels are too expensive for me. I could buy two pairs of Mavics or Zipps instead of one pair of Boras. If You are going to spend so much money for one pair of wheels, You should consider buying ADA or LIGHTWEIGHT wheels.
Being from Canada, its way cheaper for me to order parts from overseas. I can get a pair of Boras shipped to my door for the price Canadian, that they charge in US dollars... This is only a small example.. Contimental Competition Tubulars, I can get 3 for the price of one ordering locally.... and people say why don't I support the local stores...:eek:

I think it's no contest - get the 404s. If money is no object - Boras would be my choice, but sometimes the real world interferes with these decisions.

However - anyone know where I can get some 404s in the UK? I can't find them anywhere online.

If You read through www.zipp.com You can find info about international dealers. About UK, there is writen folowing:

England
Zipp UK
Joseph Muino
36B Church Lane
Dore, Sheffield
S173 GS
+44-07050-390-490
[email protected]

WINGNUTT said:
I've pretty much decided on the 404's over the carbones. The zipps are made from real carbon fiber, instead of what seems to be some sort of plastic for the carbones. The zipps are also 300 grams lighter (approx the weight of a saddle) and are slightly more aero because they have a deeper rim (58mm vs. mavic's 50mm). The zipps do have a few more spokes, but I figure that doesn't affect the aerodynamics much and helps with wheel strength. Plus there's a guy selling zipp 404s on ebay for $900 all the time, which is cheaper than I've seen new carbones for. I haven't heard of any problems with the

According to my calculations the Zipps are a whopping 717 grams lighter than the tubular Carbone's :eek:

Wait for new 2005 cosmic carbones. I'm realy curious about it's specifications.

So sometimes at the end of the season I'm going to decide if i'll buy new cosmic carbones or zipp 404s.

i've had a reply from the UK importer and it seems they are only selling directly from the address shown in the post above. That answers that then!