Mavic Crossmax question...

Danny

Guest
OK, the first order of business.. I'm a newbie..

(if you're still with me, THANKS! lol)

Now, to the question. I picked up a brand new set of Mavic Crossmax Disc wheels without
spokes or hubs..

(waits for the laughter to subside...)

My question is, Can I pick up the hubs and spokes from an online shop or should I go to Mavic
directly.. also, for getting them assmebled properly, Would a local bike shop with decent techs
beable to build these? or should I send them to Mavic to be put together?

Thanks! Danny

> My question is, Can I pick up the hubs and spokes from an online shop or should I go to Mavic
> directly.. also, for getting them assmebled
properly,
> Would a local bike shop with decent techs beable to build these? or
should
> I send them to Mavic to be put together?

My LBS did mine no problem; ask yours. Get whoever does it to use loctite.

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:uW0ra.407126$Zo.94432@sccrnsc03...
> > My question is, Can I pick up the hubs and spokes from an online
shop or
> > should I go to Mavic directly.. also, for getting them assmebled
> properly,
> > Would a local bike shop with decent techs beable to build these? or
> should
> > I send them to Mavic to be put together?
>
> My LBS did mine no problem; ask yours. Get whoever does it to use
loctite.

The big plus for Crossmax is the Mavic build quality (and the warranty). If you have the LBS do the
build you are paying very high prices for components that may be rendered rubbish by poor building.
On the other hand if you have Mavic do it you will pay very high prices for components and for
building but you won't get the wheels back for months, literally (so what good is the warranty?).

Peter

> > My LBS did mine no problem; ask yours. Get whoever does it to use
> loctite.

Whoever said this might want to think twice about have that LBS build wheels. Loctite is a last
resort on wheels, but is frequently used to mask poor build quality. A properly tensioned and
stress relieved wheel doesn't need Loctite, in fact, the spoke threads should be lubricated
before assembly.

Loctite prevents nipples from turning, as does proper tension. If nipples are turing on their own,
the wheel isn't properly tensioned. Using Loctite simply masks the problem and creates different
problems. Over time the spoke will simply break at the opposite end from the nipple, due to movement
in the hub hole each time the spoke loses and gains tension.

Loctite also makes maintenance truing a nightmare.

Barry

> > > My LBS did mine no problem; ask yours. Get whoever does it to use
> > loctite.
> > >

> Whoever said this might want to think twice about have that LBS build wheels. Loctite is a last
> resort on wheels, but is frequently used to mask poor build quality. A properly tensioned and
> stress relieved wheel doesn't need Loctite, in fact, the spoke threads should be lubricated before
> assembly.
>
> Loctite prevents nipples from turning, as does proper tension. If nipples are turing on their own,
> the wheel isn't properly tensioned. Using Loctite simply masks the problem and creates different
> problems. Over time the spoke will simply break at the opposite end from the nipple, due to
> movement in the hub hole each time the spoke loses and gains tension.
>
> Loctite also makes maintenance truing a nightmare.

Sorry; I should have been more specific; I knew I needed to clarify this as soon as I hit 'send'.
Loctite the little threaded collars the spoke nipples mount in (unique to Mavics), not the spoke
nipples themselves. Those* suckers have a tendency to back out otherwise.

"Danny" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> OK, the first order of business.. I'm a newbie..
>
> (if you're still with me, THANKS! lol)
>
> Now, to the question. I picked up a brand new set of Mavic Crossmax Disc wheels without spokes
> or hubs..

Psst, Hey Newbie... You didn't buy any "wheels", you simply bought a couple of rims. ;^)

Nahhhh... actually I got a couple of real nice aluminum hula hoops...

I asked around today and was told that Mavic will not sell the hubs and spokes.. sigh.

I'm trying other angles though.. If nothing else, maybe I'll nail them to the house and impress
myself with my basketball shooting ability. At least they were cheap. LOL Danny

"KLydesdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...

> "Danny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > OK, the first order of business.. I'm a newbie..
> >
> > (if you're still with me, THANKS! lol)
> >
> > Now, to the question. I picked up a brand new set of Mavic Crossmax
Disc
> > wheels without spokes or hubs..
> >

> Psst, Hey Newbie... You didn't buy any "wheels", you simply bought a couple of rims. ;^)

"Danny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nahhhh... actually I got a couple of real nice aluminum hula hoops...
>
> I asked around today and was told that Mavic will not sell the hubs and spokes.. sigh.

Mavic dealers certainly can supply spokes (at a silly price). I don't know about hubs but I can't
see why not. Mavic HQ redefines "unhelpful". You might try their importer. Personally I think you
are on a wild goose chase. As I said the attraction of Crossmax wheels is the Mavic build quality.
The drawback is the price. If you do manage to get the bits you certainly will pay the price but I
doubt you will get the quality.

Well, the wheels showed up today and to my surprise, they are not of the tubeless design.. they are
drilled through the rim and therefore should be able to use any standard 28 hole disc hub, not the
new style Crossmax specific design.. I need to find a couple of Chris Kings or XTR's in a 28 hole
design and should be able to build the wheels into something nice.

I realize that I'm new to all of this, but wouldn't the quality that I am looking for be determined
more by the craftsmanship of whichever LBS I happen to choose to build the wheels rather than buying
them straight off the shelf? A properly dished and trued wheel would be the reward regardless of how
I got there...

Now, off to find some hubs... To those that are reading this thread, if you see something that I am
overlooking,. please feel free to respond. I am at teh beginning of this learning curve and realize
that there are many things that I do not yet understand or see..

Thanks peeps... Danny

news:[email protected]...