Mavic Crossmax SL's

moparchris

New Member
Apr 13, 2004
anyone have any of these wheels ? what do ya think about them ? any complaints ?

"moparchris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> anyone have any of these wheels ? what do ya think about
> them ? any complaints ?

I opted for a custom wheelset, using King hubs, and Mavic
rims. They are just as light, stronger, and any bike shop in
the country can work on them. Did I mention I also saved
about $300?

moparchris <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> anyone have any of these wheels ? what do ya think about
> them ? any complaints ?

Observations, yes. I've seen too many sets on bikes
being walked off of the trail because of failure. Disco
garbage is for trendoids, a real handbuilt wheelset
crafted by a reputable wheelbuilder is what has been
proven to be the best.

JD

JD wrote:
> moparchris <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> anyone have any of these wheels ? what do ya think about
>> them ? any complaints ?
>
> Observations, yes. I've seen too many sets on bikes being
> walked off of the trail because of failure. Disco garbage
> is for trendoids,

I resemble that remark.

Got a pretty good deal on Crossmax XL's, but they've been
a PITA. Bearings **** out if you even LOOK at water.
Otherwise, they've been pretty bullet-proof. (See Rec
Tech for recent posting/reply on subject -- OP had SL's,
not XL's.)

Bill "only XL's from now on will be jerseys" S.

mojo deluxe wrote:

> "moparchris" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:D[email protected]...
>
>>anyone have any of these wheels ? what do ya think about
>>them ? any complaints ?
>>

> I opted for a custom wheelset, using King hubs, and Mavic
> rims. They are just as light, stronger, and any bike shop
> in the country can work on them. Did I mention I also
> saved about $300?

ugh, I had a set of crossrides a while back and have vowed
never to own a nonstandard wheel again. Not only did more
spokes break on that wheel set than on all other wheels I've
ridden combined, but finding a shop that kept straight
spokes in stock was irritating.

"moparchris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> anyone have any of these wheels ? what do ya think about
> them ? any complaints ?

What everybody else said. Parts specific to the wheelset +
superlight = easy to break and a ***** to fix.

Find your local wheelbuilder, order killer parts, get a
wheelset that's not only better and cheaper than the Maxes,
but unique to your bike.

Chris

"moparchris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> anyone have any of these wheels ? what do ya think about
> them ? any complaints ?
>

> --

I have the Crossmax Disk SL UST's. My experience with them
are very different from the other replies here. I've found
them to be very light, fast, and strong. Over the past 15
months mine have taken an incredible amount of abuse between
over 25 XC races, a couple CX races, and well over 6000
miles of recreational & training riding including Moab,
Fruita, NorCal (Tahoe trails like Northstar, Mr Toads,
Flumes, and more; Napa Valley, Santa Cruz, Humboldt, etc).

In that time, I've broken one spoke, and that was because of
a large branch which was caught in my wheel during a race at
Lake Sonoma. I've only had to have them trued once - when I
replaced the broken spoke. Although now, 7 months later, I
again need to true them.

Other than my newest set of wheels recently built up (Chris
King hubs, Mavic 717 rims) they are hands down the best
wheel set I've owned. I've yet to ride my new CK/Mavic
wheels... so whether they are superior, I cannot yet say.
But I look forward to testing them out. :)

As far as being non-standard..? They are also the easiest
wheelset I've had to maintain and require no special tools
(unlike the $150 Chris King hub tools set).

All in all, I have absolutely no complaints. Not a one. A
great wheel set.

--

FlyingCoyote

--

moparchris <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> anyone have any of these wheels ? what do ya think about
> them ? any complaints ?

ENGAGING STANDARD CROSSMAX REPLY...............

STANDARD CROSSMAX REPLY ENGAGED................

A good quality handbuilt wheelset is stronger, lighter,
cheaper and more easily repaired. Unfortunately such a
wheelset is not immediately identifiable as "expensive" to
the uninitiated and so will lose you valuable pose points.

cheers

moparchris wrote:

> anyone have any of these wheels ? what do ya think about
> them ? any complaints ?
>

> --

I'm coming up on three years ownership of a set of Crossmax.

I've never had a problem. And I do ride them. Sometimes in
rather arduous conditions.

moparchris wrote:
> anyone have any of these wheels ? what do ya think about
> them ? any complaints ?

I've got a UST set. They've been good strong lightweight XC
wheels for me; but a good set of handbuilt wheels will do a
good job too. I got myself a heavier duty wheelset for
anything other than normal crosscountry use. I found that
despite the SL's taking a lot of abuse I started to pop
spokes out of the hub, etc. They are definitely a XC
wheelset and shouldn't be used if you're going to be doing
more 'aggressive' riding. I think that if you can get them
for a good price you'll be more than happy with them. Just
don't start doing two foot drops on them regularly.
--
Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)