Mavic Crossmax SL's

moparchris

Guest
anyone have any of these wheels ? what do ya think about them ? any
complaints ?

--

"moparchris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> anyone have any of these wheels ? what do ya think about them ? any
> complaints ?

I opted for a custom wheelset, using King hubs, and Mavic rims. They are
just as light, stronger, and any bike shop in the country can work on them.
Did I mention I also saved about $300?

moparchris <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> anyone have any of these wheels ? what do ya think about them ? any
> complaints ?

Observations, yes. I've seen too many sets on bikes being walked off
of the trail because of failure. Disco garbage is for trendoids, a
real handbuilt wheelset crafted by a reputable wheelbuilder is what
has been proven to be the best.

JD

JD wrote:
> moparchris <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> anyone have any of these wheels ? what do ya think about them ? any
>> complaints ?

> Observations, yes. I've seen too many sets on bikes being walked off
> of the trail because of failure. Disco garbage is for trendoids,

I resemble that remark.

Got a pretty good deal on Crossmax XL's, but they've been a PITA. Bearings
**** out if you even LOOK at water. Otherwise, they've been pretty
bullet-proof. (See Rec Tech for recent posting/reply on subject -- OP had
SL's, not XL's.)

Bill "only XL's from now on will be jerseys" S.

mojo deluxe wrote:

> "moparchris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:D[email protected]...
>
>>anyone have any of these wheels ? what do ya think about them ? any
>>complaints ?
>>

> I opted for a custom wheelset, using King hubs, and Mavic rims. They are
> just as light, stronger, and any bike shop in the country can work on them.
> Did I mention I also saved about $300?

ugh, I had a set of crossrides a while back and have vowed never to own
a nonstandard wheel again. Not only did more spokes break on that wheel
set than on all other wheels I've ridden combined, but finding a shop
that kept straight spokes in stock was irritating.

"moparchris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> anyone have any of these wheels ? what do ya think about them ? any
> complaints ?

What everybody else said. Parts specific to the wheelset + superlight =
easy to break and a ***** to fix.

Find your local wheelbuilder, order killer parts, get a wheelset that's not
only better and cheaper than the Maxes, but unique to your bike.

Chris

"moparchris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> anyone have any of these wheels ? what do ya think about them ? any
> complaints ?
>

> --

I have the Crossmax Disk SL UST's. My experience with them are very
different from the other replies here. I've found them to be very light,
fast, and strong. Over the past 15 months mine have taken an incredible
amount of abuse between over 25 XC races, a couple CX races, and well over
6000 miles of recreational & training riding including Moab, Fruita, NorCal
(Tahoe trails like Northstar, Mr Toads, Flumes, and more; Napa Valley, Santa
Cruz, Humboldt, etc).

In that time, I've broken one spoke, and that was because of a large branch
which was caught in my wheel during a race at Lake Sonoma. I've only had to
have them trued once - when I replaced the broken spoke. Although now, 7
months later, I again need to true them.

Other than my newest set of wheels recently built up (Chris King hubs, Mavic
717 rims) they are hands down the best wheel set I've owned. I've yet to
ride my new CK/Mavic wheels... so whether they are superior, I cannot yet
say. But I look forward to testing them out. :)

As far as being non-standard..? They are also the easiest wheelset I've had
to maintain and require no special tools (unlike the $150 Chris King hub
tools set).

All in all, I have absolutely no complaints. Not a one. A great wheel set.

--

FlyingCoyote

--

moparchris <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> anyone have any of these wheels ? what do ya think about them ? any
> complaints ?

ENGAGING STANDARD CROSSMAX REPLY...............

STANDARD CROSSMAX REPLY ENGAGED................

A good quality handbuilt wheelset is stronger, lighter, cheaper and
more easily repaired.
Unfortunately such a wheelset is not immediately identifiable as
"expensive" to the uninitiated and so will lose you valuable pose
points.

cheers

moparchris wrote:

> anyone have any of these wheels ? what do ya think about them ? any
> complaints ?
>

> --

I'm coming up on three years ownership of a set of Crossmax.

I've never had a problem. And I do ride them. Sometimes in rather
arduous conditions.

moparchris wrote:
> anyone have any of these wheels ? what do ya think about them ? any
> complaints ?

I've got a UST set. They've been good strong lightweight XC wheels for me;
but a good set of handbuilt wheels will do a good job too.
I got myself a heavier duty wheelset for anything other than normal
crosscountry use. I found that despite the SL's taking a lot of abuse I
started to pop spokes out of the hub, etc. They are definitely a XC
wheelset and shouldn't be used if you're going to be doing more 'aggressive'
riding.
I think that if you can get them for a good price you'll be more than happy
with them. Just don't start doing two foot drops on them regularly.
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)