Mavic Crossride rear rim damage - advice please (repost from amb).

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Adam, May 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam

Adam Guest

Hi All,

This is a repost of a question I asked on alt.mountain-bike, but I didn't cross-post it to here (I'd
    just come in from my ride and the endorphins were rushing round my brain!). Can anyone help?

I'd like your esteemed advice on the fate of my rear rim. I've got a set of crossrides and I hit
    the rear wheel pretty hard after failing to clear a rock at speed this evening. I think it's
    toasted - I've done what I can to straighten the lip, but the braking surface is pretty chewed up
    and there is an inward dent that I can feel on the inner surface (ie, hub-side) of the rim. Am I
    correct in assuming this means it needs replacing, or can I keep using it once I've straightened it
    out as best I can?

I'm on a really tight budget at the moment but I want to get back out there as soon as possible, so
    I'd like to just replace the rim if possible. Does anyone know if it's possible to get the crossride
    rims seperately in the UK (I can't find any details on the Mavic site)? If not, is there a better
    choice than the X517 rim to build onto the current wheel (I've seen lots of people extolling the
    virtues of the X618 over the X517, but I don't think it comes in a 28h drilling)?

Thanks for your help - Adam...

Tags:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.