Mavic Crossride rear rim damage - advice please.

Adam

Guest
Hi all,

I'd like your esteemed advice on the fate of my rear rim. I've got a set of crossrides and I hit
rear wheel pretty hard after failing to clear a rock at speed this evening. I think it's toasted -
I've done what I can to straighten the lip, but the braking surface is pretty chewed up and there
is an inward dent that I can feel on the inner surface (ie, hub-side) of the rim. Am I correct in
assuming this means it needs replacing, or can I keep using it once I've straightened it out as
best I can?

I'm on a really tight budget at the moment but I want to get back out there as soon as possible, so
I'd like to just replace the rim if possible. Does anyone know if it's possible to get the crossride
rims seperately in the UK (I can't find any details on the Mavic site)? If not, is there a better
choice than the X517 rim to build onto the current wheel (I've seen lots of people extolling the
virtues of the X618 over the X517, but I don't think it comes in a 28h drilling)?

Thanks for your help - Adam...

> I'd like your esteemed advice on the fate of my rear rim. I've got a set of crossrides and I hit
> rear wheel pretty hard after failing to clear a rock at speed this evening. I think it's toasted -
> I've done what I can to straighten the lip, but the braking surface is pretty chewed up and there
> is an inward dent that I can feel on the inner surface (ie, hub-side) of the rim. Am I correct in
> assuming this means it needs replacing, or can I keep using it once I've straightened it out as
> best I can?

Depends on how much it bent in the first place. it can be ridden, but i would not recommend it. that
spot is now weakened and it would only take a small hit to collapse the rim in that spot.

I had a rim in pretty much the same predicament. it was only dented a bit, but after riding it for a
few more miles, thinking it should be ok, i started to notice a crack forming. this was on fairly
smooth terrain. the riding alone fatigued it further.

I would recommend replacing it.

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/mtty.mp3

[email protected] (Adam) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like your esteemed advice on the fate of my rear rim. I've got a set of crossrides and I hit
> rear wheel pretty hard after failing to clear a rock at speed this evening. I think it's toasted -
> I've done what I can to straighten the lip, but the braking surface is pretty chewed up and there
> is an inward dent that I can feel on the inner surface (ie, hub-side) of the rim. Am I correct in
> assuming this means it needs replacing, or can I keep using it once I've straightened it out as
> best I can?
>
> I'm on a really tight budget at the moment but I want to get back out there as soon as possible,
> so I'd like to just replace the rim if possible. Does anyone know if it's possible to get the
> crossride rims seperately in the UK (I can't find any details on the Mavic site)? If not, is there
> a better choice than the X517 rim to build onto the current wheel (I've seen lots of people
> extolling the virtues of the X618 over the X517, but I don't think it comes in a 28h drilling)?
>
> Thanks for your help - Adam...

Does a laugh help? I love built in obsolesence, it's funny.

JD

> [email protected] (Adam) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'd like your esteemed advice on the fate of my rear rim. I've got a set of crossrides and I hit
> > rear wheel pretty hard after failing to clear a rock at speed this evening. I think it's toasted
> > - I've done what I can to straighten the lip, but the braking surface is pretty chewed up and
> > there is an inward dent that I can feel on the inner surface (ie, hub-side) of the rim. Am I
> > correct in assuming this means it needs replacing, or can I keep using it once I've straightened
> > it out as best I can?
> >
> > I'm on a really tight budget at the moment but I want to get back out there as soon as possible,
> > so I'd like to just replace the rim if possible. Does anyone know if it's possible to get the
> > crossride rims seperately in the UK (I can't find any details on the Mavic site)? If not, is
> > there a better choice than the X517 rim to build onto the current wheel (I've seen lots of
> > people extolling the virtues of the X618 over the X517, but I don't think it comes in a 28h
> > drilling)?
> >
> > Thanks for your help - Adam...
>
> Does a laugh help? I love built in obsolesence, it's funny.

Oh yeah, that makes me feel much better...

Thankyou for your sage advice, oh wise one. I have realised the foolishness of my ways for some time
now but I don't have the money at the moment to buy the bits I need to build my replacements,
especially not as the Crossrides were running perfectly until yesterday... So, any actual advice?

Cheers again - Adam...

Adam wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like your esteemed advice on the fate of my rear rim. I've got a set of crossrides and I hit
> rear wheel pretty hard after failing to clear a rock at speed this evening. I think it's toasted -
> I've done what I can to straighten the lip, but the braking surface is pretty chewed up and there
> is an inward dent that I can feel on the inner surface (ie, hub-side) of the rim. Am I correct in
> assuming this means it needs replacing, or can I keep using it once I've straightened it out as
> best I can?

You could keep on using it, but I wouldn't advise it. Bending out the rim wall will weaken it, and
although the braking surface will suck, this is normally ok. The problem is the inward dent of the
whole rim - this means your rim is pretty much toast. It'll be really weak, and even if you do ride
it, your brake pads will rub through the sidewall of your tyre. It'll probably cause you problems
with your inner tube too. Time for a new rim mate.

> I'm on a really tight budget at the moment but I want to get back out there as soon as possible,
> so I'd like to just replace the rim if possible. Does anyone know if it's possible to get the
> crossride rims seperately in the UK (I can't find any details on the Mavic site)?

The Crossride rim isn't available as an after-market rim, however, they may be available on special
order. Might be worth having a word with your LBS.

If
> not, is there a better choice than the X517 rim to build onto the current wheel (I've seen lots of
> people extolling the virtues of the X618 over the X517, but I don't think it comes in a 28h
> drilling)?

I believe the only Mavic rim that comes in a 28 is the black X517, and off the top of my head, I
can't think of any other companies that do 28's (there's a reason for this). Depending on your size
and weight, I'm not sure how long a 28h X517 will last you.

As you've already mentioned, you've seen the folly of buying these wheels, but as an extra piece of
advice for the future, you may want to run your tyres (especially the rear) at a higher pressure.

bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Adam wrote:
> > Hi all,

-8<- snip ->8-

> You could keep on using it, but I wouldn't advise it. Bending out the rim wall will weaken it, and
> although the braking surface will suck, this is normally ok. The problem is the inward dent of the
> whole rim - this means your rim is pretty much toast. It'll be really weak, and even if you do
> ride it, your brake pads will rub through the sidewall of your tyre. It'll probably cause you
> problems with your inner tube too. Time for a new rim mate.

Pretty much what I thought...

> > I'm on a really tight budget at the moment but I want to get back out there as soon as possible,
> > so I'd like to just replace the rim if possible. Does anyone know if it's possible to get the
> > crossride rims seperately in the UK (I can't find any details on the Mavic site)?
>
> The Crossride rim isn't available as an after-market rim, however, they may be available on
> special order. Might be worth having a word with your LBS.
>
> If
> > not, is there a better choice than the X517 rim to build onto the current wheel (I've seen lots
> > of people extolling the virtues of the X618 over the X517, but I don't think it comes in a 28h
> > drilling)?
>
> I believe the only Mavic rim that comes in a 28 is the black X517, and off the top of my head, I
> can't think of any other companies that do 28's (there's a reason for this). Depending on your
> size and weight, I'm not sure how long a 28h X517 will last you.

I'm around 95 kilos, so "pie-eater" is probably my weight category...

Having said that, the crossrides have lasted me two years with only one truing up until this
incident. New wheels are definitely in the offing though, and I'm scouring the finances to see what
I can put aside to save for them. If the crossrides are still functional by then, I'll put road
tyres on them and have them as my commuting wheels.

> As you've already mentioned, you've seen the folly of buying these wheels, but as an extra piece
> of advice for the future, you may want to run your tyres (especially the rear) at a higher
> pressure.

I've been running the rear at around 3-3.5bar; do you think I should run higher than that?

Thanks for the help, Bomba.

Adam...

Adam wrote:

>>I believe the only Mavic rim that comes in a 28 is the black X517, and off the top of my head, I
>>can't think of any other companies that do 28's (there's a reason for this). Depending on your
>>size and weight, I'm not sure how long a 28h X517 will last you.
>

> I'm around 95 kilos, so "pie-eater" is probably my weight category...

Welcome to the club :)

> Having said that, the crossrides have lasted me two years with only one truing up until this
> incident.

Impressive.

New wheels are definitely in the
> offing though, and I'm scouring the finances to see what I can put aside to save for them. If the
> crossrides are still functional by then, I'll put road tyres on them and have them as my
> commuting wheels.

Sounds like a plan.

>>As you've already mentioned, you've seen the folly of buying these wheels, but as an extra piece
>>of advice for the future, you may want to run your tyres (especially the rear) at a higher
>>pressure.
>

> I've been running the rear at around 3-3.5bar; do you think I should run higher than that?

Holy ****, so when you said "I hit my rear wheel pretty hard", what you actually meant was, "I caned
it against a rock just about as hard as I could".

If you were running your rear at 3-3.5 bar and you cased your wheel that bad, you must have
absolutely trashed it against that rock.

I weigh a little less than you, but run my rear at about 4 bar. That's more personal preference
though. However, 3-3.5 bar should be fine.

> Thanks for the help, Bomba.

No worries.

FWIW Adam, you can get a Mavic 618 on a Deore rear hub for 39 quid from

www.merlincycles.co.uk

Which should keep you rolling for a good while, and almost certainly cheaper and definitely quicker
than getting your crocked Crossride fixed my Mavic. Cheap, sturdy, servicable.

Andy Chequer

"Andy Chequer" <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> FWIW Adam, you can get a Mavic 618 on a Deore rear hub for 39 quid from

That's an excellent price considering they're selling the rims at £24..

> www.merlincycles.co.uk
>
> Which should keep you rolling for a good while, and almost certainly cheaper and definitely
> quicker than getting your crocked Crossride fixed my Mavic. Cheap, sturdy, servicable.

Thanks Andy. I've spoken to Alpine Bikes and they reckon they can get a new Crossride rim in for
early next week for £25. I'll build it on myself when it arrives, and in the meantime I can probably
borrow a wheel for next weekend's riding.

Cheers - Adam...

> [email protected] (Adam) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> >So, any actual advice?
>
> Don't buy into hype.
>
> JD

Well, I guess I asked for that, even if I didn't mean to...

Thank you again, oh wise one, for all your assistance with my broken wheel. Your helpful advice will
get me back out on the trail in no time.

If you see someone stuck with a mechanical, you've got the right tool and they haven't, do you just
laugh at them and tell them they should have thought about it before they came out? Just
wondering...

Adam...

[email protected] (Adam) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> If you see someone stuck with a mechanical, you've got the right tool and they haven't, do you
> just laugh at them and tell them they should have thought about it before they came out? Just
> wondering...

No, I help them, ragging on them the whole time as to how thay should have been more prepared, to
the point that they wish I hadn't stopped. They'll never forget again.

JD