Mavic CXP-33s or Mavic Open Pros?

Dave Stallard

Guest
OK, I'm getting a new bike built up and have to decide on rims pronto. I'm not going to bother with
the ridiculously expensive Kyrisiums. I weigh probably 170, and ride for distance and exercise. I do
encounter lots of potholes and choppy pavement. Durability is my first priority.

The CXP-33s are supposedly more durable, but are slightly heavier than the Open Pros. They also
require tubes with a long valve, though they're not truly aero enough to matter. Although the
CXP-33s are heavier, the guy I'm working with tells me that that does make them tend to keep speed
up once they are going. Has anybody found this to be true?

Also, does either of these ride harsher than the other?

Dave

How about Ambrosio rims?

http://www.ambrosiospa.com/cerchi_corsa.htm

Evolution 480g Excellence 460g Excellight 430g

As far as the CXP33s keeping speed better, it's theoretically true but probably won't be noticeable
in that range. Also, to the extent that it is true it has more to do with the heavier weight than it
does with the aero profile. That will be true of any heavier rim. The flipside is that it will also
be more difficult to accelerate, but were not talking about a big difference here.

The Ambrosio Excellence is more like the Open Pro than the CXP33 but weight wise is sort of a
balance between the two. Very nice rim. The Evolution should be very durable and can be had for
about US $45. All else being equal, the heavier the rim, the higher you can make the spoke tension,
and the more durable your wheel will be (assuming it's properly built).

Also Fir makes some rims that are similar to Open Pros but a bit beefier.

http://www.fircerchi.com/Dati/products.html

The Zenith is 470g and the SC-200 is 490g but otherwise they're pretty similar to Open Pros.

Have your bike shop call Red Rose Imports for Fir. Not sure about Ambrosio for bikes shops but I
know you can get them online in the US.

Bruce

"Dave Stallard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> OK, I'm getting a new bike built up and have to decide on rims pronto. I'm not going to bother
> with the ridiculously expensive Kyrisiums. I weigh probably 170, and ride for distance and
> exercise. I do encounter lots of potholes and choppy pavement. Durability is my first priority.
>
> The CXP-33s are supposedly more durable, but are slightly heavier than the Open Pros. They also
> require tubes with a long valve, though they're not truly aero enough to matter. Although the
> CXP-33s are heavier, the guy I'm working with tells me that that does make them tend to keep speed
> up once they are going. Has anybody found this to be true?
>
> Also, does either of these ride harsher than the other?
>
> Dave

I've got the Open Pros with Ultegra hubs and double butted spokes after thrashing the CXP-23s that
came with my Specialized Allez. The new wheels and spokes made a big difference in the ride which is
now silky smooth compared to the 23s. The ride on the 23s was so harsh and I kept breaking spokes so
often that I didn't want to ride it anymore. With the Open Pros, I'm not concerned about selecting
well paved streets and just ride with abandon. Don't know about the 33s compared to the Pros but I
think the Pros are a good all around performer.

Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 19:46:30 +0000, Allan wrote:

> I've got the Open Pros with Ultegra hubs and double butted spokes after thrashing the CXP-23s that
> came with my Specialized Allez. The new wheels and spokes made a big difference in the ride which
> is now silky smooth compared to the 23s. The ride on the 23s was so harsh and I kept breaking
> spokes so often that I didn't want to ride it anymore. With the Open Pros, I'm not concerned about
> selecting well paved streets and just ride with abandon. Don't know about the 33s compared to the
> Pros but I think the Pros are a good all around performer.

Oh, dear. First, be clear. A v-shaped versus square-section rim will not matter in terms of "holding
speed". Marketing hooey. A deep v will be slightly more aerodynamic, which will only matter in a
time trial, not for general use.

V shaped rims are stonger, as well as heavier, than box section rims of similar thickness. I find
that they build up easier, and they are quite durable. There will be no measurable difference in the
ride. The previous poster's claims that the rims were the reason he broke spokes due to a harsh ride
is a misperception. The spokes broke for the same reason they always do. The wheels were poorly
built. His new ones were better built, so they do not break spokes. As far as being able to ignore
potholes now that he has Open Pro rims, come on.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And what if you track down these men and kill them, what if you _`\(,_ | killed all of us?
From every corner of Europe, hundreds, (_)/ (_) | thousands would rise up to take our places.
Even Nazis can't kill that fast. -- Paul Henreid (Casablanca).

Originally posted by Dave Stallard
I weigh probably 170, and ride for distance and exercise. I do
encounter lots of potholes and choppy pavement. Durability is my first priority.

I weigh about what you do, and I've ridden both. The CXP33 is a little heavier, which I feel in the hills, although it does roll well on the flats, and is a very sturdy wheel.

Presently, my training bike has a set of Chorus hubs and Open Pros. These wheels are not sleek, sexy, feather light or aero, but they are reasonably lightweight, durable and cheap. FWIW, they are subject to making clicking noises (when you hear clicking in a group you can bet someone is riding Open Pros).

Dave Stallard wrote:
> OK, I'm getting a new bike built up and have to decide on rims pronto. I'm not going to bother
> with the ridiculously expensive Kyrisiums. I weigh probably 170, and ride for distance and
> exercise. I do encounter lots of potholes and choppy pavement. Durability is my first priority.
>
> The CXP-33s are supposedly more durable, but are slightly heavier than the Open Pros. They also
> require tubes with a long valve, though they're not truly aero enough to matter. Although the
> CXP-33s are heavier, the guy I'm working with tells me that that does make them tend to keep speed
> up once they are going. Has anybody found this to be true?
>
> Also, does either of these ride harsher than the other?
>
> Dave

I have both and either would do you fine. I weigh about 200lbs (well it is off season). I would
personally buy the cxp33s because I like the slight extra strength and hey I think they look better
:) as for rolling better well thats hooey....hoeey....hoey.....er... rubbish

Stan Cox

"Dave Stallard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> OK, I'm getting a new bike built up and have to decide on rims pronto. I'm not going to bother
> with the ridiculously expensive Kyrisiums. I weigh probably 170, and ride for distance and
> exercise. I do encounter lots of potholes and choppy pavement. Durability is my first priority.
>
> The CXP-33s are supposedly more durable, but are slightly heavier than the Open Pros. They also
> require tubes with a long valve, though they're not truly aero enough to matter. Although the
> CXP-33s are heavier, the guy I'm working with tells me that that does make them tend to keep speed
> up once they are going. Has anybody found this to be true?
>
> Also, does either of these ride harsher than the other?
>
> Dave

I weigh around 200lbs and have ridden Open Pros for 3 years (same set). They were well built and I
only had to slightly true them once. I ride backroads in Virginia, although not many potholes, still
not the best of roads. I absolutely love the rims, classic look and strong. I use the Open Pro CD's
(great braking qualities) and the finish is still pretty much there, although not intact. I imagine
that both would do you fine, but in my humble opinion, the Open Pros are a safe bet, light and
strong. But then again, as someone has mentioned, you could find alternative rim brands with similar
benefits for cheaper.

stallard-<< I weigh probably 170, and ride for distance and exercise. I do encounter lots of
potholes and choppy pavement. Durability is my first priority.

The CXP-33s are supposedly more durable, but are slightly heavier than the Open Pros. They also
require tubes with a long valve, though they're not truly aero enough to matter. Although the
CXP-33s are heavier, the guy I'm working with tells me that that does make them tend to keep speed
up once they are going. Has anybody found this to be true?

Also, does either of these ride harsher than the other? >><BR><BR>

"Tend to keep speed up"? Bugleoil, there is no real, 'flywheel' effect with rims and harshness is
not going to be noticed either. If you want durable, use the CXP-33s..and hopefully they will be
well built.

gtbiker-<< The ride on the 23s was so harsh and I kept breaking spokes so often that I didn't want
to ride it anymore. >><BR><BR>

Due to the build 'quality', not the rim...

Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> OK, I'm getting a new bike built up and have to decide on rims pronto. I'm not going to bother
> with the ridiculously expensive Kyrisiums. I weigh probably 170, and ride for distance and
> exercise. I do encounter lots of potholes and choppy pavement. Durability is my first priority.
>
> The CXP-33s are supposedly more durable, but are slightly heavier than the Open Pros. They also
> require tubes with a long valve, though they're not truly aero enough to matter.

No, they don't (require long valve tubes). And no, they aren't aero enough to make a difference but
it does make them stronger.

>Although the CXP-33s are heavier, the guy I'm working with tells me that that does make them tend
>to keep speed up once they are going. Has anybody found this to be true?
>
> Also, does either of these ride harsher than the other?
>
> Dave

You should know that harshness is about 0.0015% rim stiffness, the rest, tire pressure. I have a
pair of 32 Hole OP's and a pair of 36 Hole 33's, both pairs built by me. Both are great, the 33's
being more durable.

You know the roman chariot race scene (Ben Hur?) in which the wheel of one chariot gets shredded by
the weapon attached to the axle of the other? My rear 33 got that from a fellow rider on the second
day of a back to back century weekend. Got his nut for his front qr jammed in my rear spokes at an
intersection. Took out seven spokes, which ended the ride for me - no spare wheels, and I had
intended to bring the OP's, shoot. Anyway, the 33's rebuilt just fine, and are stable, round and
true w/in ~0.2 mm.

If I did it over again, I would do 3x 32 hole rear, 14/15/14 and 28 hole front 15 straight ga
CXP-33's, instead of the 36 3x 14/15/14 all the way round (I go about 200 lbs). The difference
between the OPs and 33's is about 50 gms/rim (OP silver, 33 black). If you go OP CD Ceramic, the
difference is about 5 gms. And the 33's are significantly stronger.

But my 33's are bomb proof. Seriously.

App

I have wheels built from both.

The CXPs-33s are by far the most durable rim I've ever used. I am 6'3", and over 200 lbs. I have
never had them go out of true more than a hair. I have over 25,000 miles on the set that just got
retired from the road to my trainer. The open cds are a touch more confortable, though I agree with
other posters who say that tire pressure is a far more noticeable factor.

Build either set up with double-butted spokes and brass nipples and you'll have a super bombproof
set of wheels. You can always get a super light pair of racewheels later if you are so inclined.
It's never a bad thing to have too many wheelsets lying around, and if you only have one, it should
be a super reliable and durable one!

Appkiller wrote:
> Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
>
> No, they don't (require long valve tubes). And no, they aren't aero enough to make a difference
> but it does make them stronger.
>
> <snip>
> App

Not quite true, riding to work last week I hit something that wrecked my rear tyre and tube. I
happened to be near a Halfords and bought a replacement Conti GP3000 and a Halfords brand tube. I
couldnt get the pump onto the valve due to it being exceptionally short. Luckily I had my standard
valve Specialized spare tube with me and the valve on that was long enough. The Halfords tube is now
on my open pro rear :)

Stan Cox