Mavic CXP vs Open Pros

Turkeytickler

Guest
Hi there

Could anyone give me some idea of the relative merits of
Open Pros vs CXP33s? Im on the lookout for a strong rim that
will give me good climing performance and can seem to get
much idea of what the benefits of each rim are...

Thanks

Chris

--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/

turkeytickler <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi there
>
> Could anyone give me some idea of the relative merits of
> Open Pros vs CXP33s? Im on the lookout for a strong rim
> that will give me good climing performance and can seem to
> get much idea of what the benefits of each rim are...
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris

The CXP33s are stronger (and heavier) than Open Pros. I
think the CXP33s are the best clincher rim Mavic currently
makes (others may differ). As for helping your climbing, the
extra weight of the CXP33s (about 50 grams per rim) is not
going to slow you down appreciably. I just built a wheelset
with Torelli Master rims - similar weight to Open Pros - and
I was very impressed with their high quality and the ease
with which they built. I think they are much superior to the
Open Pro which in my opinion is an OK rim but grossly over-
rated and over-priced.

Nigel Grinter

turkeytickler <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi there
>
> Could anyone give me some idea of the relative merits of
> Open Pros vs CXP33s? Im on the lookout for a strong rim
> that will give me good climing performance and can seem to
> get much idea of what the benefits of each rim are...
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris

CXP 33's are only 5 gms more than the ceramic coated OP. Own
both, OP's (silver anodized, 420 gms) laced to Daytona hubs
and 33's laced to Chorus hubs. Both have provided good
service. Course, others will say to avoid the hard anodizing
as it causes the rims to disintegrate when laced. I avoid it
because the anodizing adds nothing but weight and cost.

There is no practical aero advantage to the 33's over the
OP's - they just aren't deep enough.

The real advantage is strength - the 33's build up to a
wheel that takes everyday abuse in stride. The OP's will
be more sensitive to pothole hits and a less than
perfect build.

Good climbing performance can be had by a strong climber on
any decent modern rim.

YMMV.

App

turkey-<< Could anyone give me some idea of the relative
merits of Open Pros vs

CXP33s? Im on the lookout for a strong rim that will give me
good climing performance and can seem to get much idea of
what the benefits of each rim are... >><BR><BR>

CXP-33 is heavier and more expensive. All things being
equal, the CXP rim will be stronger due to it's
heavier weight.

Also look at Velocity Fusion, nice rim.

How fast ya climb is up to you, not the rims.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

nigel-<< Open Pros - and I was very impressed with their
high quality and the ease with which they built. I think
they are much superior to the Open Pro which in my opinion
is an OK rim but grossly over-rated and over-priced.
>><BR><BR>

Agree. Velocity has a really nice selction of rims, but
'name recognition' can be tough.

On 17 Mar 2004 05:15:41 -0800, [email protected] (Appkiller) wrote:

>The real advantage is strength - the 33's build up to a
>wheel that takes everyday abuse in stride. The OP's will
>be more sensitive to pothole hits and a less than
>perfect build.

I'm not sure. Certainly, the CXP33 is a strong rim but I
don't think that the holes are offset right and left as they
are on the OP. I think that the strength of the finished
wheel is equivalent.

has anyone noticed a riding difference with only the rear
rim?

I built 2 wheelsets last summer, open-pro's on campy centaur
hubs for my wife, and another cxp33/centaur rear wheel for
myself. Everything was 32 hole with 14/15 DT spokes, brass
nipples. I already had a
cxp33/ultegra/14-15DT front wheel (with extra long nipples
that I eventually learned were unnecessary)

I live in Illinois so I can't say much about their
differences when climbing. With everything on my bike the
same except for the front wheel, I couldn't tell any
difference between the open-pro or the
cxp34. However, with everything on the bike the same
(including inner tube, tire, and cassette)
except the rear rim, the open-pro seemed to take
less effort to maintain the same speed over a
1.5 hour ride.

Originally posted by Turkeytickler
Hi there

Could anyone give me some idea of the relative merits of
Open Pros vs CXP33s? Im on the lookout for a strong rim that
will give me good climing performance and can seem to get
much idea of what the benefits of each rim are...

Thanks

Chris

--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/

CXP33 is about 45 grams heavier than Open Pro.
CXP33 uses sockets that are cast to cradle the nipples and retained by a springy material between the inner and outer rim walls. The walls are not connected, but nipples won't fall into the rim cavity. Spokes are about 2 mm shorter (than Open Pro) and less of the nipple is exposed. The triangular shape and structure seems to result in a slightly stiffer built wheel, but I don't have a measure. Front wheels require spoke alignment at the nipple because the nipple doesn't rotate far enough to provide optimum alignment in a 3X Shimano build (Campy would need it too)

The bracing angles for the front wheels are identical (7.2 degrees) in a Shimano 3X build. The rear wheel has 0.1 degree larger bracing angle on the right side. 4.2 Vs. 4.1 degrees. The data is extracted from the Damon Rinard Spoke Calculator.

Open Pro uses a socket to connect the inner and outer rim walls.
Nipples rotate adequately in a 3X build to not require spoke alignment at the nipple.
I don't have any aerodynamic measurements, but I suspect the difference would be quite small.

I ride them both and can't feel the difference.
I build them both and find that CXP33 takes about 10 minutes longer per front wheel to get spoke alignment taken care of.

45 grams seems to be the biggest issue for weight weenies.

On 17 Mar 2004 06:57:56 -0800, [email protected] (WRL) wrote:

>I already had a
>cxp33/ultegra/14-15DT front wheel (with extra long nipples
> that I eventually learned were unnecessary)

Extra Long 16 mm not necessary. 14 mm recommended and 12 mm
standard works.

FWIW... the wheel guy at the nearest LBS (who is supposed to
have a decent reputation locally) says all things being
equal the CXPs should be stiffer because of the deeper rim,
but he said that Mavic uses difference alloys in these two
rims. He claimed that the Open Pro's were stiffer because of
the material used in it's construction. I have no idea if
that's true. I'm just happy to have finished my first set of
wheels. Front - Mavic MA3 32 , Shimano HB-1055 (new) and DT
14 spokes in a 3-cross - Rear Mavic Open Pro 32, Shimano HB-
6500, DT 14g spokes in 3-cross.

Also, FWIW according to a digital postal scale I have:

Front - 884g Rear - 1060g

news:eek:[email protected]...