Mavic CXP33 rim - eyelets or not?

JungleBiker

May 17, 2004
The Mavic web site shows CXP33 rims as having eyelets, but the CXP 33 rims that I recently bought do not have eyelets and look kind of ugly where the spokes come through the raw aluminum holes. Can anybody explain what's happened - is the web site wrong, have Mavic changed the specs or are my rims missing the eyelets?
Thanks.

nah, they don't have eyelets, just those sleeve thingies which don't seem to do much more than make it easy to slip the snipple down the hole. The CXP30s have the same thing. I'd say it's a mistake on the Mavic site.

I was once building one, and I chewed up an aluminium sleeve with a screw driver as easy as if it were made of aluminium foil :p

JungleBiker said:
The Mavic web site shows CXP33 rims as having eyelets, but the CXP 33 rims that I recently bought do not have eyelets and look kind of ugly where the spokes come through the raw aluminum holes. Can anybody explain what's happened - is the web site wrong, have Mavic changed the specs or are my rims missing the eyelets?
Thanks.
There are cast reinforcements held in place by spring fingered sleeves. The castings have a smooth mating surface for the nipples and help spread the load over a little larger area than a simple hole in the rim.
There is no eyelet as such, and certainly not any mechanical connection to the inside rim wall (like Open Pro).

I've recently built a couple of wheels with CXP33 rims and they've both been eyeletted. I think you'll find that the "spring fingered sleeves" that daveornee refers to are actually eyelets. It's just that they are not visible from the outside (i.e. the inside edge) of the rim. The eyelet is there to spread the load of the spoke not necessarily for the aesthetic appearance of the wheel.