Mavic CXP33 rim noise

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Colin, Apr 5, 2003.

  1. Colin

    Colin Guest

    Hi,

    Not sure how to describe it, well it sounds like something is loose in the rim. I can even narrow
    the point down to almost exactly opposite where the valve goes into the rim.

    If I tap that spot, it sounds like something is loose. Have taken off the rim tape but cannot find
    anything loose. Looks like a join in the rim where the noise is. Sometimes the noise goes away then
    I hit a bump and its back.

    Any ideas please?

    TIA Colin

    Tags:

  2. On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 11:02:50 +0000, Colin did issue forth:

    > Not sure how to describe it, well it sounds like something is loose in the rim. I can even narrow
    > the point down to almost exactly opposite where the valve goes into the rim.
    >
    > If I tap that spot, it sounds like something is loose. Have taken off the rim tape but cannot find
    > anything loose. Looks like a join in the rim where the noise is. Sometimes the noise goes away
    > then I hit a bump and its back.

    It's not unknown for a bit of flash to come away from the weld, or it could be a nipple that went
    missing during the build. It could be that the object is trapped between the weld and a nipple. Try
    removing the rim tape and giving the wheel a good shake, you may be able to get the object to appear
    over one of the eyelets, if you're lucky it'll fall through, but the last time I had a bit of flash
    stuck in a rim it had to be pulled out with a pair of fine nosed pliers.

  3. Derk Drukker

    Derk Drukker Guest

    On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 13:18:19 +0200, Huw Pritchard wrote:

    > On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 11:02:50 +0000, Colin did issue forth: could be a nipple that went missing
    > during the build. It could be that the object is trapped between the weld and a nipple.
    I had the same problem: I couldn't get it out. I then put a piece of tape through the opening and
    slowly rotated the wheel, till the object was attached to the sticky tape and I could pull it out.

    Derk.

  4. I had the same problem with the same rim. A bit of the weld came loose and was romping about in the
    interior of the rim. In my case it was too large to go past the spoke eyelets and the eyelets will
    prevent you from shaking the little turd out! I solved the problem as follows:

    Remove the tire, tube and rim strip. Drill a 1/4" hole in the bed of the rim just above where you
    hear the rattle, shake out the bit of gunk. (you may need a little bigger hole if you have a large
    piece of gunk) Replace the rim strip, tube and tire.

    It worked great for me.

    Mark

    news:[email protected]...