Mavic CXP33

William H. O'Ha

Guest
Does anyone know if the CXP33 hoops are not strong
enough for me?

I am a 200# rider doing about an average about
16.5 mph. These wheels have been taken to the shop several
times for wheel truing in approximately 550 miles of
riding since the beginnings of March.

--
William H. O'Hara KB1IUB use QRZ.com for address lookup

Originally posted by William H. O'Ha
Does anyone know if the CXP33 hoops are not strong
enough for me?

I am a 200# rider doing about an average about
16.5 mph. These wheels have been taken to the shop several
times for wheel truing in approximately 550 miles of
riding since the beginnings of March.

--
William H. O'Hara KB1IUB use QRZ.com for address lookup

The rims are strong enough. I know of many riders you size riding them without any problems or re-truing.
There is something wrong with the build and the person(s) truing them isn't taking care of the original problem(s).
Who built them?
What spokes and hubs?
You will want to get the problem(s) resolved soon as the spokes are likely being fatigued by the situation(s).

73
KQ9W

Originally posted by William H. O'Ha
Does anyone know if the CXP33 hoops are not strong
enough for me?

I am a 200# rider doing about an average about
16.5 mph. These wheels have been taken to the shop several
times for wheel truing in approximately 550 miles of
riding since the beginnings of March.

--
William H. O'Hara KB1IUB use QRZ.com for address lookup

Within 1 hour drive is a small service oriented shop with a major contibutor to this forum:
Harris Cyclery
1353 Washington Street
West Newton, Massachusetts 02165
(617) 244-9772 FAX 244-1041
I suggest a trip there to resolve your wheels issue.
Say hello to Sheldon Brown for us.
73
KQ9W

Unless you're riding in pot hole city, properly built, I
suspect you'd never need to true them for years.

"William H. O'Hara, III" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone know if the CXP33 hoops are not strong
> enough for me?
>
> I am a 200# rider doing about an average about
> 16.5 mph. These wheels have been taken to the shop several
> times for wheel truing in approximately 550 miles of
> riding since the beginnings of March.
>
> --
> William H. O'Hara KB1IUB use QRZ.com for address lookup

CXP33 s are strong rims. Unless you are using 28 spokes
(especially in the rear), they should be strong enough with
a good build and decent spokes. You might want to stick with
36 spokes, especially in the rear and especially if the
roads you ride are bumpy.

Kendall

William H. O'Hara, III wrote:
> Does anyone know if the CXP33 hoops are not strong
> enough for me?
>
> I am a 200# rider doing about an average about
> 16.5 mph. These wheels have been taken to the shop several
> times for wheel truing in approximately 550 miles of
> riding since the beginnings of March.

Rims good; build bad.

Bill "sounds like a rear mtb wheel I had for a
while...without the BROKEN spokes" S.

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>Does anyone know if the CXP33 hoops are not strong
>enough for me?
>
>I am a 200# rider doing about an average about
>16.5 mph. These wheels have been taken to the shop several
> times for wheel truing in approximately 550 miles of
> riding since the beginnings of March.

rims are fine. Sounds like the build needs work.
---------------
Alex

In article
<[email protected]>, William
H. O'Hara, III <[email protected]> wrote:

> Does anyone know if the CXP33 hoops are not strong
> enough for me?
>
> I am a 200# rider doing about an average about
> 16.5 mph. These wheels have been taken to the shop several
> times for wheel truing in approximately 550 miles of
> riding since the beginnings of March.

I'm 170 lbs. Several years ago, I built a set of 3x 36 h CXP
33s and have since used them for thousands of miles -
including lightly loaded credit card touring. Trued up the
rear once.

luke

William H. O'Hara, III wrote:

> Does anyone know if the CXP33 hoops are not strong
> enough for me?
>
> I am a 200# rider doing about an average about
> 16.5 mph. These wheels have been taken to the shop several
> times for wheel truing in approximately 550 miles of
> riding since the beginnings of March.

I am your weight and have these on my heavy winter bike at
the moment. They have taken all I can throw at them, 1500
miles ish this year. Unlike the Ma3's that were on it before
but thats another (well discussed) story.

Stan Cox

william-<< Does anyone know if the CXP33 hoops are not
strong enough for me? >><BR><BR> << I am a 200# rider doing
about an average about
16.5 mph. These wheels have been taken to the shop several
times for wheel truing in approximately 550 miles of
riding since the beginnings of March. >><BR><BR>

CXP-33 are indeed appropriate for you if the spoke count
isn't too low and the build is a good one. Sounds like at
least the second condition isn't true.

Probably poor build initially.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

"William H. O'Hara, III" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone know if the CXP33 hoops are not strong
> enough for me?
>
> I am a 200# rider doing about an average about
> 16.5 mph. These wheels have been taken to the shop several
> times for wheel truing in approximately 550 miles of
> riding since the beginnings of March.
>
> --
> William H. O'Hara KB1IUB use QRZ.com for address lookup

rims ok. can't judge the work from here. use a wider tire.
25 mm or 28. you can also ask the LBS to wrap very thin iron
wire around the spokes on the point where the cross each
other and to solder the wire and spokes togheter with tin
solder. Thus you create a series of extra triangles in the
wheel, making it stronger.

Bert L

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

<SNIP>

rims ok. can't judge the work from here. use a wider tire.
25 mm or 28. you can also ask the LBS to wrap very thin iron
wire around the spokes on the point where the cross each
other and to solder the wire and spokes togheter with tin
solder. Thus you create a series of extra triangles in the
wheel, making it stronger.

Bert L

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu [/B][/QUOTE]

Please don't bother with the tie and solder approach. It just doesn't accomplish any significant addtion in strength.
William needs to focus on the real problem of getting the spokes properly built and finished.
Wider tires may be a good idea, but they won't make up for poorly built wheels.

I'm 230 lbs (on a good day). I had same kinds of problems
with truing until I got a guy to build me a good pair (yes,
I know not doing it myself is unmanly--I only ride
sidesaddle). He used the CXP33 specifically; also used
14/15 (36of them) spokes and DT Swiss Onyx hubs - they have
been great and true for 1 year 4K miles to far. I
also use 25mm tires.

-Kalukis

"daveornee" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:p[email protected]...
> <SNIP>
>
> rims ok. can't judge the work from here. use a wider tire.
> 25 mm or 28. you can also ask the LBS to wrap very thin
> iron wire around the spokes on the point where the cross
> each other and to solder the wire and spokes togheter with
> tin solder. Thus you create a series of extra triangles in
> the wheel, making it stronger.
>
> Bert L
>
> --
> Posted by news://news.nb.nunews://news.nb.nu
>
> Please don't bother with the tie and solder approach. It
> just doesn't accomplish any significant addtion in
> strength. William needs to focus on the real problem of
> getting the spokes properly built and finished. Wider
> tires may be a good idea, but they won't make up for
> poorly built wheels.
>

> --

I've been riding a pair of CXP33s with 28 front and 32 rear
for 4 years now, with my weight varying between 185 and 205,
over a variety of city streets (Chicago) and bike paths.
They have never needed truing in all that time and mileage.
Local shop built them up for me and they've been bombproof.

--

Message and attachments scanned & clear. "William H. O'Hara,
III" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone know if the CXP33 hoops are not strong
> enough for me?
>
> I am a 200# rider doing about an average about
> 16.5 mph. These wheels have been taken to the shop several
> times for wheel truing in approximately 550 miles of
> riding since the beginnings of March.
>
> --
> William H. O'Hara KB1IUB use QRZ.com for address lookup

"wannagofast" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Unless you're riding in pot hole city, properly built, I
> suspect you'd never need to true them for years.

I ride in Massachusetts. The highways such as 93 South of
the Big Dig are worse for wear than the local roads. Most
roads aren't too bad. My street was a horrendous mess of
potholes and uneven pavement until two days ago.

--
William H. O'Hara KB1IUB use QRZ.com for address lookup

daveornee <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> William H. O'Ha wrote:
> > Does anyone know if the CXP33 hoops are not strong
> > enough for me? I am a 200# rider doing about an average
> > about 16.5 mph. These wheels have been taken to the
> > shop several times for wheel truing in approximately
> > 550 miles of riding
> Within 1 hour drive is a small service oriented shop with
> a major contibutor to this forum: Harris Cyclery 1353
> Washington Street West Newton, Massachusetts 02165
> (617) 244-9772 FAX 244-1041 I suggest a trip there to
> resolve your wheels issue. Say hello to Sheldon
> Brown for us. 73 KQ9W

I'm not sure of the spokes make and the hubs right now. I
have actually forgotten. The front just got retrued. It
wasn't that bad. The rear had a wobble that brought it very
close to the brake pad.

Newton is more than an hour from me with the traffic and is
PIA to show up there. To be honest they seemed good but I
bought a bike from a shop that is much closer and
convenient. I'm going to check out the spokes issue as I
can't remember the name of the spokes.

--
William H. O'Hara KB1LEH use QRZ.com for address lookup

"William H. O'Hara, III" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone know if the CXP33 hoops are not strong
> enough for me?
>
> I am a 200# rider doing about an average about
> 16.5 mph. These wheels have been taken to the shop several
> times for wheel truing in approximately 550 miles of
> riding since the beginnings of March.

It's a simple thing, wheels come out of true because the
spokes have insufficient tension and loosen as you ride.
A well tensioned wheel should need little if any truing.
If you learn to do this simple task yourself you'll save
much time and inconvenience, not to mention wear & tear
on your wheels.

The time you waste going back and forth to your local shop,
who obviously doesn't know how to properly stress relieve
and tension a wheel, will more than make up for one trip to
the reputable bike shop who can probably fix the problem
permanently. Like everyone else has already said good rim,
bad build. chris

Chris Dorn <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> The time you waste going back and forth to your local
> shop, who obviously doesn't know how to properly stress
> relieve and tension a wheel, will more than make up for
> one trip to the reputable bike shop who can probably fix
> the problem permanently. Like everyone else has already
> said good rim, bad build. chris

Let me put it this way I will go find someone in the area to
give me an opinion. I was wondering if the requirement of a
little truing would be necessary on a monthly basis.
However, the rear was way too much last time.

Everybody thinks very highly of a person just because of
a website and I was not very suitably impressed to
justify taking time off from work for him. My time is
spent elsewhere and 2 hours to go visit is not going to
appear. Thanks for the help but recommending me to go
there does little.

The same goes for most bicycle shops in this area as I had
previous visited a multitude of them. I left with
impressions of ill-informed salesmen and questionable tech
support to be fraught with long travel times.

The story that I got from the bike shop indicated that they
need periodic truing, but I didn't really buy it. So, what I
really like to know if there is a book on building wheels. I
will go take a look for such a thing.

--
William H. O'Hara KB1LEH

Chris Dorn <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> The time you waste going back and forth to your local
> shop, who obviously doesn't know how to properly stress
> relieve and tension a wheel, will more than make up for
> one trip to the reputable bike shop who can probably fix
> the problem permanently. Like everyone else has already
> said good rim, bad build. chris

Just to clarify a question of mine.

How out of true would the MAVIC get during normal riding?
The people that mention that they do not true their wheels,
surely do not have perfectly straight wheels?

--
William H. O'Hara KB1LEH