Mavic CXP33

Originally posted by William H. O'Ha
Chris Dorn <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> The time you waste going back and forth to your local
> shop, who obviously doesn't know how to properly stress
> relieve and tension a wheel, will more than make up for
> one trip to the reputable bike shop who can probably fix
> the problem permanently. Like everyone else has already
> said good rim, bad build. chris

Just to clarify a question of mine.

How out of true would the MAVIC get during normal riding?
The people that mention that they do not true their wheels,
surely do not have perfectly straight wheels?

--
William H. O'Hara KB1LEH

Most quality brakes are adjusted ~1 mm from the braking surface of the rim. Rims can easily be true to within less than .3 mm with even spoke tension. There will be some irregularities and settling even with a very good build.
However, wheels can be built to stay true to within .5 mm taking into account some rim irregularities and settling.
You should be able to put a .5 mm feeler gauge between the rim and a brake shoe that is set at 1 mm and make a complete revolution with just a minimal or no touch.
As long as the rim isn't damaged or a spoke broken the wheels I build stay within .5 mm of true.
If the spokes have proper and even tension and there is error of less than .5 mm some wheel builders won't make any adjustments.
Further reading suggestions:
"the Bicycle Wheel" by Jobst Brandt
Chapter 17 of Barnetts Bicycle repair manual.

William H. O'Hara writes:

>> The time you waste going back and forth to your local
>> shop, who obviously doesn't know how to properly stress
>> relieve and tension a wheel, will more than make up for
>> one trip to the reputable bike shop who can probably fix
>> the problem permanently. Like everyone else has already
>> said good rim, bad build.

> Let me put it this way I will go find someone in the area
> to give me an opinion. I was wondering if the requirement
> of a little truing would be necessary on a monthly basis.
> However, the rear was way too much last time.

Unless you crash or sit on the wheel in transit, no
maintenance should be required. Consider that steel and
aluminum do not creep and spoke nipples cannot unscrew on a
properly built wheel. So what is there to tune up? Wheels
should be maintenance free if they are well built.

> Everybody thinks very highly of a person just because of
> a website and I was not very suitably impressed to
> justify taking time off from work for him. My time is
> spent elsewhere and 2 hours to go visit is not going to
> appear. Thanks for the help but recommending me to go
> there does little.

Build your own wheels. It isn't high tech. Actually it's
more like cooking with a good cookbook. Just follow
instructions. The next time it will be self evident an you
won't be dependent on a bicycle mechanic who refuses to read
about the subject.

> The same goes for most bicycle shops in this area as I had
> previous visited a multitude of them. I left with
> impressions of ill-informed salesmen and questionable tech
> support to be fraught with long travel times.

ibid

> The story that I got from the bike shop indicated that
> they need periodic truing, but I didn't really buy it. So,
> what I really like to know if there is a book on building
> wheels. I will go take a look for such a thing.

http://www.avocet.com/wheelbook/wheelbook.html

Jobst Brandt [email protected]