mavic d521 rim cracks?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Gerrit Van Wijk, Apr 12, 2003.

  1. My bikeshop tells me Mavic d521 very strong long lasting rims, perfect for loaded touring and
    mountanibiking. But I found a review stating the ceramic chips of very easy and cracks form around
    the (single) eyelets. Does anybody have simular problems?

    Tags:

  2. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    gerrit van wijk wrote:
    > My bikeshop tells me Mavic d521 very strong long lasting rims, perfect for loaded touring and
    > mountanibiking. But I found a review stating the ceramic chips of very easy and cracks form around
    > the (single) eyelets. Does anybody have simular problems?

    Every mavic rim I've every tried has cracked within 4k miles -- including some of theirs that are
    supposed to be really strong (X219, X519, X223, X225 (Cannondale OEM)). I found that I can either
    make 'em rigid and they crack at the spoke holes; or I can leave the spokes slightly looser and they
    crack inside under the rim tape between spoke holes. YMMV, but I've decided stear clear of Mavics. I
    weigh 225, which may make a difference :). I've also been told that the anodization makes the rim
    brittle and this contributes -- that I should try an unannodized rim.

    David

  3. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > gerrit van wijk wrote:
    > > My bikeshop tells me Mavic d521 very strong long lasting rims, perfect for loaded touring and
    > > mountanibiking. But I found a review stating the ceramic chips of very easy and cracks form
    > > around the (single) eyelets. Does anybody have simular problems?
    > >

    > Every mavic rim I've every tried has cracked within 4k miles -- including some of theirs that are
    > supposed to be really strong (X219, X519, X223, X225 (Cannondale OEM)). I found that I can either
    > make 'em rigid and they crack at the spoke holes; or I can leave the spokes slightly looser and
    > they crack inside under the rim tape between spoke holes. YMMV, but I've decided stear clear of
    > Mavics. I weigh 225, which may make a difference :). I've also been told that the anodization
    > makes the rim brittle and this contributes -- that I should try an unannodized rim.
    >
    > David

    Anodizing neither strengthens or weakens a rim. I don't know why some people experienced these
    eyelet cracks while others of us
    (me) have not, but I'm more inclined to believe it has something to do with the heat treating or
    maybe the spoke type ??

    BTW, I'm 200 lbs (riding weight) and have been xc & dh'ing on same pair of anodized 521's for a
    couple years; those rims have been bomb proof.
    --
    Slacker

    > My bikeshop tells me Mavic d521 very strong long lasting rims, perfect for loaded touring and
    > mountanibiking. But I found a review stating the ceramic chips of very easy and cracks form around
    > the (single) eyelets. Does anybody have simular problems?

    Stick to non hard anodized, steel eyeleted aluminum rims and you'll be fine. Gucci wheels don't
    belong on a bike built for reliability.

    --
    _________________________

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > gerrit van wijk wrote:
    > > > My bikeshop tells me Mavic d521 very strong long lasting rims, perfect for loaded touring and
    > > > mountanibiking. But I found a review stating the ceramic chips of very easy and cracks form
    > > > around the (single) eyelets. Does anybody have simular problems?
    > > >

    > > Every mavic rim I've every tried has cracked within 4k miles -- including some of theirs that
    > > are supposed to be really strong (X219, X519, X223, X225 (Cannondale OEM)). I found that I can
    > > either make 'em rigid and they crack at the spoke holes; or I can leave the spokes slightly
    > > looser and they crack inside under the rim tape between spoke holes. YMMV, but I've decided
    > > stear clear of Mavics. I weigh 225, which may make a difference :). I've also been told that the
    > > anodization makes the rim brittle and this contributes -- that I should try an unannodized rim.
    > >
    > > David
    >

    > Anodizing neither strengthens or weakens a rim. I don't know why some people experienced these
    > eyelet cracks while others of us
    > (me) have not, but I'm more inclined to believe it has something to do with the heat treating or
    > maybe the spoke type ??
    >
    > BTW, I'm 200 lbs (riding weight) and have been xc & dh'ing on same pair of anodized 521's for a
    > couple years; those rims have been bomb proof.
    > --
    > Slacker

    I find that eyelet cracks are far more prevalent on road rider's rims. Even if they ride a mountain
    bike on the road. I don't know why that is but road riding must put a consistent set of repetative
    forces on the rim that causes the cracks more readily than DH or XC riding does. Or maybe it's just
    that off road, rims get tacoed before they get a chance to crack at the eyelets :)
    --
    _________________________

  6. Peter R .

    Peter R . Guest

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 10:50:44 +0200, "gerrit van wijk" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My bikeshop tells me Mavic d521 very strong long lasting rims, perfect for loaded touring and
    >mountanibiking. But I found a review stating the ceramic chips of very easy and cracks form around
    >the (single) eyelets. Does anybody have simular problems?

    I onsly ride road and XC (same bike). I think I wrecked 3 x517 ceramics (eyelet cracks). I now have
    a 317 rear, since I use disks now anyway, and although the same weight, it seems a lot stronger.
    Needless to say I'm not the worlds most refined cyclist.

    Peter R.