Mavic Elite vs. Bontrager X Lite

rollycruz

Mar 4, 2005
I would appreciate inputs from anybody who has actually used, or is actually using, Mavic Ksyrium Elite and Bontrager X Lite. On a head-to-head performance comparison, which of the 2 wheelsets is better?

rollycruz said:
I would appreciate inputs from anybody who has actually used, or is actually using, Mavic Ksyrium Elite and Bontrager X Lite. On a head-to-head performance comparison, which of the 2 wheelsets is better?

I've got a set of Race X Lites that I've been using for about 6 months. I've had zero problems with them. They're reasonalby nice, seem to spin up well. They've not needed truing despite the more than occasional pavement discontinuity that I cross. BTW, I weight 180 lbs. The only problem I've had with the Bontragers is that I thought the stickers were butt-ugly....so I just removed the offending decals.

I've not used any Ksyriums, although I do think that the giant Ksyrium stickers are ugly, too. FWIW, I used to have a set of 2004 Mavic Cosmos wheels, and the skewer on the rear wheel never wanted to hold the wheel in place correctly, even when the clamping force was jacked up to very wrong levels. I've had no problems, at all, with the Bontrager skewers. I can't say whether the skewer problem was a one-off problem or something endemic to Mavic skewers.

rollycruz said:

I have a set of Elites on my Time bike. I bought them used (about 1 year old) and have put about 6 months of riding on them. I put them on the truing stand when I got them and never had to adjust anything since. They are quite light, very rigid, and feel extremely safe in high speed downhills.
I cannot comment on the Bontragers as I never used them.

rollycruz said:

This will be my 3rd season on a set of Race X Lites. I have never had to true the wheels. I have close to 20,000 km on them and just recently the freehub crapped out. Even this doesn't deter me from giving these wheels 2 thumbs up.