Mavic FTS-L hubs--How durable?

tx_newbie

Jun 10, 2006
Hi. I'm looking for opinions/experience with the Mavic FTS-L hubs (as found on the Cosmic Carbone). How often do they need to be relubed for general maintenence (how many miles), and how many miles until the bushing needs replacement (or does it)?

I'm considering a set of Carbones as a TT only wheelset, so I don't envision putting too many miles on them (20/40k TT, and the occasional obligatory 'equipment tweaking TT training ride').

thanks.

tx_newbie said:
Hi. I'm looking for opinions/experience with the Mavic FTS-L hubs (as found on the Cosmic Carbone). How often do they need to be relubed for general maintenence (how many miles), and how many miles until the bushing needs replacement (or does it)?

I'm considering a set of Carbones as a TT only wheelset, so I don't envision putting too many miles on them (20/40k TT, and the occasional obligatory 'equipment tweaking TT training ride').

thanks.

That depends on the conditions ridden in. If wet/damp/dusty, frequently, like every month or so. The bushing at the base does wear, gets out of round or cracks. bew freehub body is about $60 or so.

Pretty good wheels with a rear hub design that has been poor for years. Mavic needs to update it.

Pretty good wheels with a rear hub design that has been poor for years. Mavic needs to update it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.
I anticipate use in non-wet conditions (though race-day/training day relative humidity 80-100%). Generally dust free. I figure the annual mileage on the wheelset will be less than 500 miles (have a set of trainers for most training rides). With this anticipated mileage, and the relatively benign race conditions, maybe the rear hub won't be too problematic??? (Or it might)

Considering the Carbone as a complete wheelset--rear hub design, apparently difficult to find spokes, dentable carbon fairing--maybe a different wheelset should be considered? Wheelset weight is not an issue; I like the convenience and durability of an alloy braking tract--maybe Flashpoint or Hed?

tx_newbie said:
Pretty good wheels with a rear hub design that has been poor for years. Mavic needs to update it.

Thanks.
I anticipate use in non-wet conditions (though race-day/training day relative humidity 80-100%). Generally dust free. I figure the annual mileage on the wheelset will be less than 500 miles (have a set of trainers for most training rides). With this anticipated mileage, and the relatively benign race conditions, maybe the rear hub won't be too problematic??? (Or it might)

Considering the Carbone as a complete wheelset--rear hub design, apparently difficult to find spokes, dentable carbon fairing--maybe a different wheelset should be considered? Wheelset weight is not an issue; I like the convenience and durability of an alloy braking tract--maybe Flashpoint or Hed?[/QUOTE]

-->>Trading one crappy hub for another, particularly with Flashpoint. For the $, maybe a local wheelbuilder can make ya one. Like DT hubs, DT Aerolight spokes, Kinlin 30mm rims. 18 radial front, 24/ 2 cross rear.