Mavic Helium hub is jacked up!

Dumpster Bike

Guest
I was given a rear wheel (mavic helium hub/mavic helium rim
28 hole 3X drive, radial non drive) recently and would like
to run it. the rim seems okay, the spokes are mostly okay
except for some gouges from the chain on one and the
remaining bearing seems okay. however, the cartridge bearing
on the non drive side is missing except for the outer race
which is pitted and stuck in the hub, and the axle, which is
2 peice, will not thread together.

it shouldnt be too hard to remove the race but finding
a replacement cartridge bearing may be expensive and
or impossible. does anyone know the size or cheap
sources for it?

also, im assuming one peice of the axle or both need
replacement. is there a trick to getting the axle back
together? i dont think its broken, but some threads may be
stripped out. how much will complete or partial
replacement be?

how should i go about pressing in the new bearing once
found? is there anything else missing from the hub? any
opinions on this hub, rim, or wheel in general? thanks so
much in advance.

<< it shouldnt be too hard to remove the race but finding a
replacement cartridge bearing may be expensive and or
impossible. does anyone know the size or cheap sources for
it? >><BR><BR>

Mavic still supports the Helium. Your LBS can order
parts from them. Alternately, they can service the wheel
for you...

PH

[email protected] (Dumpster Bike) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I was given a rear wheel (mavic helium hub/mavic helium
> rim 28 hole 3X drive, radial non drive) recently and would
> like to run it. the rim seems okay, the spokes are mostly
> okay except for some gouges from the chain on one and the
> remaining bearing seems okay. however, the cartridge
> bearing on the non drive side is missing except for the
> outer race which is pitted and stuck in the hub, and the
> axle, which is 2 peice, will not thread together.
>
> it shouldnt be too hard to remove the race but finding
> a replacement cartridge bearing may be expensive and
> or impossible. does anyone know the size or cheap
> sources for it?
>
> also, im assuming one peice of the axle or both need
> replacement. is there a trick to getting the axle back
> together? i dont think its broken, but some threads may be
> stripped out. how much will complete or partial
> replacement be?
>
> how should i go about pressing in the new bearing once
> found? is there anything else missing from the hub? any
> opinions on this hub, rim, or wheel in general? thanks so
> much in advance.

Mavic does not want you to work on your own wheel dont
expect any help from them. Back in the old days Phil Wood
and Hi E always told you you had to ship your hub back to
the manufacturer to replace the bearing we put up with this
because Phil Wood was stronger and Hi E was lighter than
anything else on the market. The tools used to pull bearings
on the modern hubs cost $100 to $300. If you do manage to
get it out measure the inside diameter and the outside
diameter of the bearing most likely 10mm x 28mm You can then
get the bearing from any bearing supply house any where in
the world for about $8

im bumping this in hopes that everybody missed my post.
thanks again in advance...