Mavic Helium Rim replacement question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeffn, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. Jeffn

    Jeffn Guest

    I bought a pair of Helium clinchers on Ebay and the rear rim is missing a grommet and is cracked.
    Does anyone know of a replacement rim with the same dimensions/specs so I can reuse the spokes? I am
    having a hard time finding spokes in the US and in the UK they seem to be $5-7 per. The Open Pro
    looks right but I would like to know for sure.

    Tags:

  2. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    Your Mavic dealer can get you a direct Helium replacement rim.
    Mavic Open Pro will work, but you may not be able to find one with the same hole count and color.
    You can use the same spokes.

  3. Jeffn

    Jeffn Guest

    Dave,
    Thanks. Color doesn't bother me and dealers are hard to come by locally.
    Open Pros in 28 hole seem to be available on line.
    "daveornee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Jeffn wrote:
    > > I bought a pair of Helium clinchers on Ebay and the rear rim is
    missing
    > > a grommet and is cracked. Does anyone know of a replacement rim with
    the
    > > same dimensions/specs so I can reuse the spokes? I am having a hard
    time
    > > finding spokes in the US and in the UK they seem to be $5-7 per. The Open Pro looks right but
    > > I would like to know for sure.
    >

    > Your Mavic dealer can get you a direct Helium replacement rim. Mavic Open Pro will work, but you
    > may not be able to find one with the same hole count and color. You can use the same spokes.
    >

    > --

  4. Jeff, I rebuilt my rear helium with a mavic open 4. The specs for the Open Pro, and Open 4 (or
    Reflex if it's a tubular) are the same as the helium. The only difference is supposedly the helium
    rim is lighter. I haven't weighed them but I think the only difference is the color. The hub was the
    best part of these wheels... Good luck, Christian

    "Jeffn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]com...
    > Dave, Thanks. Color doesn't bother me and dealers are hard to come by locally. Open Pros in 28
    > hole seem to be available on line. "daveornee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Jeffn wrote:
    > > > I bought a pair of Helium clinchers on Ebay and the rear rim is
    > missing
    > > > a grommet and is cracked. Does anyone know of a replacement rim with
    > the
    > > > same dimensions/specs so I can reuse the spokes? I am having a hard
    > time
    > > > finding spokes in the US and in the UK they seem to be $5-7 per. The Open Pro looks right
    > > > but I would like to know for sure.
    > >

    > > Your Mavic dealer can get you a direct Helium replacement rim. Mavic Open Pro will work, but you
    > > may not be able to find one with the same hole count and color. You can use the same spokes.
    > >

    > > --

  5. cliff

    cliff New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2003

  6. Pete Hausner

    Pete Hausner Guest

    cliff [email protected] posted:

    The Helium FTS hub on my rear helium just failed. If the freehub body is removed a cartridge bearing
    can be seen located at the outboard end of the axle. It is pressed into the hub. Well, this whole
    part of the hub that the bearing is pressed into sheared off, so now there is nothing to support the
    bearing. The only symptom was freewheel drag while gliding causing my chain to "flap". I took the
    freehub apart to diagnose the problem. I think the entire wheel is toast now-too bad, it was holding
    up well otherwise--after I tensioned up all the spokes ;-) <<<snip>>>

    Mavic might be able to help, if you'd like. Have your LBS contact them. Parts were still available,
    not too long ago, as were complete hubs.

    PH