Mavic Helium Rim replacement question

Jeffn

Guest
I bought a pair of Helium clinchers on Ebay and the rear rim is missing a grommet and is cracked.
Does anyone know of a replacement rim with the same dimensions/specs so I can reuse the spokes? I am
having a hard time finding spokes in the US and in the UK they seem to be $5-7 per. The Open Pro
looks right but I would like to know for sure.

Originally posted by Jeffn
I bought a pair of Helium clinchers on Ebay and the rear rim is missing a grommet and is cracked.
Does anyone know of a replacement rim with the same dimensions/specs so I can reuse the spokes? I am
having a hard time finding spokes in the US and in the UK they seem to be $5-7 per. The Open Pro
looks right but I would like to know for sure.
Your Mavic dealer can get you a direct Helium replacement rim.
Mavic Open Pro will work, but you may not be able to find one with the same hole count and color.
You can use the same spokes.

Dave,
Thanks. Color doesn't bother me and dealers are hard to come by locally.
Open Pros in 28 hole seem to be available on line.
"daveornee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jeffn wrote:
> > I bought a pair of Helium clinchers on Ebay and the rear rim is
missing
> > a grommet and is cracked. Does anyone know of a replacement rim with
the
> > same dimensions/specs so I can reuse the spokes? I am having a hard
time
> > finding spokes in the US and in the UK they seem to be $5-7 per. The Open Pro looks right but
> > I would like to know for sure.
>

> Your Mavic dealer can get you a direct Helium replacement rim. Mavic Open Pro will work, but you
> may not be able to find one with the same hole count and color. You can use the same spokes.
>

> --

Jeff, I rebuilt my rear helium with a mavic open 4. The specs for the Open Pro, and Open 4 (or
Reflex if it's a tubular) are the same as the helium. The only difference is supposedly the helium
rim is lighter. I haven't weighed them but I think the only difference is the color. The hub was the
best part of these wheels... Good luck, Christian

"Jeffn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Dave, Thanks. Color doesn't bother me and dealers are hard to come by locally. Open Pros in 28
> hole seem to be available on line. "daveornee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Jeffn wrote:
> > > I bought a pair of Helium clinchers on Ebay and the rear rim is
> missing
> > > a grommet and is cracked. Does anyone know of a replacement rim with
> the
> > > same dimensions/specs so I can reuse the spokes? I am having a hard
> time
> > > finding spokes in the US and in the UK they seem to be $5-7 per. The Open Pro looks right
> > > but I would like to know for sure.
> >

> > Your Mavic dealer can get you a direct Helium replacement rim. Mavic Open Pro will work, but you
> > may not be able to find one with the same hole count and color. You can use the same spokes.
> >

> > --

Originally posted by Christian Johns
Jeff, I rebuilt my rear helium with a mavic open 4. The specs for the Open Pro, and Open 4 (or
Reflex if it's a tubular) are the same as the helium. The only difference is supposedly the helium
rim is lighter. I haven't weighed them but I think the only difference is the color. The hub was the
best part of these wheels... Good luck, Christian

The Helium FTS hub on my rear helium just failed. If the freehub body is removed a cartridge bearing can be seen located at the outboard end of the axle. It is pressed into the hub. Well, this whole part of the hub that the bearing is pressed into sheared off, so now there is nothing to support the bearing. The only symptom was freewheel drag while gliding causing my chain to "flap". I took the freehub apart to diagnose the problem. I think the entire wheel is toast now-too bad, it was holding up well otherwise--after I tensioned up all the spokes ;-)

I could ride it, but I think the unsupported right side of the axle will flex and drag on the freehub...

Cliff

cliff [email protected] posted:

The Helium FTS hub on my rear helium just failed. If the freehub body is removed a cartridge bearing
can be seen located at the outboard end of the axle. It is pressed into the hub. Well, this whole
part of the hub that the bearing is pressed into sheared off, so now there is nothing to support the
bearing. The only symptom was freewheel drag while gliding causing my chain to "flap". I took the
freehub apart to diagnose the problem. I think the entire wheel is toast now-too bad, it was holding
up well otherwise--after I tensioned up all the spokes ;-) <<<snip>>>

Mavic might be able to help, if you'd like. Have your LBS contact them. Parts were still available,
not too long ago, as were complete hubs.

PH