mavic helium vs ksyrium

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > King durability from our shoes are the very worse. Hugis, the ones we
> > have built, seem very reliable and easy to maintain, all sealed cart
> > bearings but w/o the complexity of King.

> But it's all about the noise! That cool "SOB" (Swarm of Bees) sounds. I even
> refer to them sometimes as "SOB" hubs.
>
> Noisy cassette mechs make for some funny stories. We'll actually get people
> saying they don't want something so noisy because how are they going to
> sneak up on somebody in a race. Right. Sneak up on somebody while coasting?
> Maybe downhill...

I agree.

-- My ratchet-pawl assembly is noisy.
-- Then turn the crank.

*****

I installed Phil Wood hubs. The ratchet-pawl was so stiff
that it would turn the crank when I walked the bicycle.
After a few thousand miles that syndrome abated.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press wrote:

> I agree.
> -- My ratchet-pawl assembly is noisy.
> -- Then turn the crank.
>
> I installed Phil Wood hubs. The ratchet-pawl was so stiff
> that it would turn the crank when I walked the bicycle.
> After a few thousand miles that syndrome abated.

Yeah, but that's a long way to walk!

Complaints about noisy hubs usually come from the riding
partners privileged to share riding time with the Chris King
orchestra, or similar. We get all the noise and none of the
bling.

[email protected] wrote:
> You didn't say what sort of failure these were claimed to have.

He said the DT-Hugi ratchet was junk... that's all I know. There is a
lot of water here, so many failures have something to do with poor
sealing.

In article
<[email protected]>,

> Michael Press wrote:
>
> > I agree.
> > -- My ratchet-pawl assembly is noisy.
> > -- Then turn the crank.
> >
> > I installed Phil Wood hubs. The ratchet-pawl was so stiff
> > that it would turn the crank when I walked the bicycle.
> > After a few thousand miles that syndrome abated.

> Yeah, but that's a long way to walk!

No matter how far I walked it the syndrome remained. It
was only when I rode and coasted did it abate.

> Complaints about noisy hubs usually come from the riding
> partners privileged to share riding time with the Chris King
> orchestra, or similar. We get all the noise and none of the
> bling.

I can't hear you over the ratchet buzz.

--
Michael Press

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> Noisy cassette mechs make for some funny stories. We'll actually get people
> saying they don't want something so noisy because how are they going to
> sneak up o n somebody in a race. Right. Sneak up on somebody while coasting?
> Maybe downhill...

How about when you have to take a sharp enough turn just as you are
catching up. Or if you are sneaking up to rest for a bit on their wheel
before going around.w

41 wrote:
> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>

> > Noisy cassette mechs make for some funny stories. We'll actually get people
> > saying they don't want something so noisy because how are they going to
> > sneak up o n somebody in a race. Right. Sneak up on somebody while coasting?
> > Maybe downhill...

> How about when you have to take a sharp enough turn just as you are
> catching up. Or if you are sneaking up to rest for a bit on their wheel
> before going around.w

Yeah, I have a friend with one of these belt-fed hubs. Whenever he's
behind me, and I want to attack him, I wait for his hub to open fire.
Then I attack when I know I've got an automatic .25 or .5 second
advantage on him since he has to start pedalling again. This is all
just goofing around, but it works.

George King writes:

>> Noisy cassette mechs make for some funny stories. We'll actually
>> get people saying they don't want something so noisy because how
>> are they going to sneak up o n somebody in a race. Right. Sneak
>> up on somebody while coasting? Maybe downhill...

> How about when you have to take a sharp enough turn just as you are
> catching up. Or if you are sneaking up to rest for a bit on their
> wheel before going around.

....or sounding like a kid with playing cards, held on seat the stays
with clothespins, slapping the spokes. That image comes when I hear
these stupid escapements, and also reminds me of minds that design
bicycle components these days.

Jobst Brandt