Mavic Helium wheels: noise

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by gazelle_nl, Sep 1, 2004.

  1. gazelle_nl

    gazelle_nl Guest

    My rear wheel, mavic helium, produces a loud noise if you Ilateral tension
    on it. That
    is if you ride it.
    The bearings seem smooth and adjusted properly, I think. I played with the
    adjustment, but that didn't seem to make any difference.

    The noise seems to come from the spoke-nipple-rim section.
    Some of the eyelets have gotten loose and I cut those out.

    Has anybody successfully dealt with this issue?

    Gerard
    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. gerard-<< My rear wheel, mavic helium, produces a loud noise if you Ilateral
    tension
    on it. That
    is if you ride it. >><BR><BR>
    << The noise seems to come from the spoke-nipple-rim section.
    Some of the eyelets have gotten loose and I cut those out. >><BR><BR>

    Rebuild on a 28h OpenPro. The eyelets are causing the probelm

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  3. Trevor

    Trevor Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote in message
    <[email protected]>...
    >gerard-<< My rear wheel, mavic helium, produces a loud noise if you

    Ilateral
    >tension
    >on it. That
    >is if you ride it. >><BR><BR>
    ><< The noise seems to come from the spoke-nipple-rim section.
    >Some of the eyelets have gotten loose and I cut those out. >><BR><BR>
    >
    >Rebuild on a 28h OpenPro. The eyelets are causing the probelm

    Why is it a problem? Why not remove all the eyelets?

    Trevor

  4. Trevor-<< Why is it a problem? Why not remove all the eyelets? >><BR><BR>

    He's not 'removing' the eyelets but they are breaking in two, with part sliding
    up the spoke. Not uncommon with this rim. But it means the eyelet is not as
    tight in the rim, probably cracked and probably moving around and making noise.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  5. On 03 Sep 2004 12:44:25 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
    Campagnolo ) wrote:

    >Trevor-<< Why is it a problem? Why not remove all the eyelets? >><BR><BR>
    >
    >He's not 'removing' the eyelets but they are breaking in two, with part sliding
    >up the spoke. Not uncommon with this rim. But it means the eyelet is not as
    >tight in the rim, probably cracked and probably moving around and making noise.
    >

    >Peter Chisholm
    >Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    >1833 Pearl St.
    >Boulder, CO, 80302
    >(303)440-3535
    >http://www.vecchios.com
    >"Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

    Dear Peter,

    Good God!

    Well, maybe this shouldn't startle me so much. Is it common
    for eyelets to break in two in other rims? What makes them
    crack?

    Appalled,

    Carl Fogel

  6. Trevor

    Trevor Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote in message
    <[email protected]>...
    >Trevor-<< Why is it a problem? Why not remove all the eyelets? >><BR><BR>
    >
    >He's not 'removing' the eyelets but they are breaking in two, with part

    sliding
    >up the spoke. Not uncommon with this rim. But it means the eyelet is not as
    >tight in the rim, probably cracked and probably moving around and making

    noise.

    If the eyelets are causing the noise, and it is irritable, why not remove
    them?

    Trevor

  7. carl-<< Well, maybe this shouldn't startle me so much. Is it common
    for eyelets to break in two in other rims? What makes them
    crack? >><BR><BR>

    Don't know what causes it but see a fair ampunt in mavic, very frequent in FIR
    rims.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  8. trevor-<< If the eyelets are causing the noise, and it is irritable, why not
    remove
    them? >><BR><BR>

    or the spokes, just remove them.........

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  9. On 04 Sep 2004 13:41:18 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
    Campagnolo ) wrote:

    >carl-<< Well, maybe this shouldn't startle me so much. Is it common
    >for eyelets to break in two in other rims? What makes them
    >crack? >><BR><BR>
    >
    >Don't know what causes it but see a fair ampunt in mavic, very frequent in FIR
    >rims.
    >
    >Peter Chisholm
    >Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    >1833 Pearl St.
    >Boulder, CO, 80302
    >(303)440-3535
    >http://www.vecchios.com
    >"Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

    Dear Peter,

    Come to think of it, which way do these eyelets crack in
    half?

    That is, if an eyelet is a somewhat deformed soup can with
    both ends removed, does it split into a pair of troughs or
    into a pair of hoops?

    Carl Fogel

  10. carl-<< That is, if an eyelet is a somewhat deformed soup can with
    both ends removed, does it split into a pair of troughs or
    into a pair of hoops? >><BR><BR>

    'Pair of hoops', with one rattling up the spoke.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  11. Trevor

    Trevor Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote in message
    <[email protected]>...
    >trevor-<< If the eyelets are causing the noise, and it is irritable, why

    not
    >remove
    >them? >><BR><BR>
    >
    >or the spokes, just remove them.........

    hardly an answer.

    Trevor

  12. Tuschinski

    Tuschinski New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2003
    Lately I have become very suspicious about the quality of Mavic Wheels. About the complete wheelsets I only hear bad stories from (trustworthy!) bike stores. The wheels break down and service is slow. Campa seems to fare better, but I have become convinced that only custom handbuilt wheels are worth purchasing. Cheaper, stronger and easier servicable.

  13. Tuschinski<< but I have become convinced that only
    custom handbuilt wheels are worth purchasing. Cheaper, stronger and
    easier servicable. >><BR><BR>

    Wish there were more decent wheelbulders out there.

    Reality is that the wheels outta boxes are not what custom wheels are. nether
    are suits off a rack compared to what 'Evan' can do.

    "The more things change, the more they stay the same."
    "Reality, what a concept."
    "No such thing as a free lunch."

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria