Mavic: How do YOU say it?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Russell, Mar 7, 2003.

  1. Russell

    Russell Guest

    When I was growing up on the west coast (California), everyone pronounced Porsche "porsh." when I
    moved to the east coast, it was "porsh-uh."

    Which brings up my question to you, faithful reader of r.b.t.: how do you pronounce Mavic?

    I've heard it a few different ways:

    "MAY-vic" "may-VEAK" "mah-VEAK" "MAH-vic"

    Which do you use, and where do you live?

    Tags:

  2. Russell wrote:
    > When I was growing up on the west coast (California), everyone pronounced Porsche "porsh." when I
    > moved to the east coast, it was "porsh-uh."

    That's 'cause the East coast is closer to der Vaterland, so we have to pronounce it correctly.

    > Which brings up my question to you, faithful reader of r.b.t.: how do you pronounce Mavic?
    >
    > I've heard it a few different ways:
    >
    > "MAY-vic" "may-VEAK" "mah-VEAK" "MAH-vic"
    >
    > Which do you use, and where do you live?

    When I'm speaking French, it's "mah-VEAK"

    When I'm speaking English it's MA-vic, with "MA" pronounced as in "MAtttess."

    The thing that gets me going is when people pronounce "Braun" as if it were "brawn."

    This is a word that is properly pronounced exactly the same in German and English, and has exactly
    the same meaning in German and English. Only the spelling is different: "Braun" vs "Brown."

    Sheldon "Hey, That's My Name" Brown +---------------------------------------------------+
    | "O, don't the days seem lank and long | When all goes right and nothing goes wrong, | And
    | isn't your life extremely flat | With nothing whatever to grumble at!" | --W.S. Gilbert |
    +---------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  3. Docvelo

    Docvelo Guest

    MAVIC is from France.

    The right way to pronounce the name is : "MAH-vic"

    from
    J. Ouellet Quebec City QC

    "Russell" <[email protected]> a √©crit dans le message news:
    [email protected]
    > When I was growing up on the west coast (California), everyone pronounced Porsche "porsh." when I
    > moved to the east coast, it was "porsh-uh."
    >
    > Which brings up my question to you, faithful reader of r.b.t.: how do you pronounce Mavic?
    >
    > I've heard it a few different ways:
    >
    > "MAY-vic" "may-VEAK" "mah-VEAK" "MAH-vic"
    >
    > Which do you use, and where do you live?

  4. Russell Yim

    Russell Yim Guest

    >MAVIC is from France.

    Yes, I know, but it's fun to hear what gets done to language.

    Other names that frequently get mangled in bike shops (by customers anyway) that readily come to
    mind are Thule (for obvious reasons), and Yakima (a lot of folks seem to think it's Japanese.) I
    imagine Campagnolo gets messed up quite a bit, as well many other Italian and French branded stuff
    (can you say Gipiemme?) I've even heard Shimano mispronouned as "shim-ah-NO."

    The one that always grates my ears, even though it's totally common (and frankly acceptable), is
    when people pronounce Bianchi's Celeste "sell-EST." I really prefer the more Italian "chel-EST-ay."
    Never mind that many folks say "Bee-AHN-chee." :)

    A favorite of mine from days gone by was when a customer once asked for Schwinn Predator. At first I
    didn't know what he wanted, because he kept calling it a "Pre-DATE-er."

    Russell

    Trekkie, Disnoid =B0o=B0, and Sheena Easton fan

    "Life will teach you all you need to know, but only Love Will Make You Wise"- Sheena Easton

    http://community.webtv.net/TrekkeRuss/TheTrekkieDisnoido

    Come see Sheena Easton, Live at G-A-Y! http://community.webtv.net/CrazyForSheena/SheenaEastonLiveatG

    Pictures from my trip to the grand opening of the newest Disney theme park in Tokyo, Nippon!
    http://community.webtv.net/TrekkeRuss/TokyoDisneySeaIn

  5. Scic

    Scic Guest

    >From: Sheldon Brown

    >Only the spelling is different: "Braun" vs "Brown."

    No... there is no rolled/trilled "r" in Brown.

    Siegfried aus Chicago

  6. Eric Holeman

    Eric Holeman Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, DocVelo <[email protected]> wrote:

    >MAVIC is from France.

    This much we can agree on.

    >The right way to pronounce the name is : "MAH-vic"

    Ah, the recurring joys of Bikelish. I suppose if I needed a rim in France (or Quebec) I'd pronounce
    it something like that. But when it's sold in the U.S. without any particular clue that it's a
    French name (and since it doesn't look all that French, I'm guessing it's an acronym anyways) I'm
    going to go ahead and pronouce it as if it were English. So for me, it's Mavvick, rhyming with
    "havoc." Similarly, it's Shi-MAH-no and not Shee-muh-no, and Wine-man and not Vine-mahnn.

    I do give at least an effort on Pew-zho, though.

    --
    ---
    Eric Holeman Chicago Illinois USA

  7. Kinkycowboy

    Kinkycowboy Guest

    On Sat, 8 Mar 2003 08:12:26 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Eric Holeman) wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, DocVelo <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>MAVIC is from France.
    >
    >This much we can agree on.
    >
    >>The right way to pronounce the name is : "MAH-vic"
    >
    >Ah, the recurring joys of Bikelish. I suppose if I needed a rim in France (or Quebec) I'd pronounce
    >it something like that. But when it's sold in the U.S. without any particular clue that it's a
    >French name (and since it doesn't look all that French, I'm guessing it's an acronym anyways) I'm
    >going to go ahead and pronouce it as if it were English. So for me, it's Mavvick, rhyming with
    >"havoc." Similarly, it's Shi-MAH-no and not Shee-muh-no, and Wine-man and not Vine-mahnn.
    >
    >I do give at least an effort on Pew-zho, though.

    Albeit an effort in the wrong direction, if my schoolboy french serves me correctly it's per-zho

    Kinky Cowboy

    *Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.

  8. Mike Krueger

    Mike Krueger Guest

    << Which brings up my question to you, faithful reader of r.b.t.: how do you pronounce Mavic? >>

    That one's easy (MAH-vic), but while we're on the subject, how about these other bike brands?

    Ciocc: "CHEE-occ"? "SI-occ"? "CHOHCH"? Cinelli: "sin-ELLI"? "chin-EL-li"? SIDI: "SEE-dee"?
    "SID-dee"?

    and my favorite... PUCH: "pee-utch"? "puke"?

  9. Dianne_1234

    Dianne_1234 Guest

    [email protected] (Russell Yim) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I imagine Campagnolo gets messed up quite a bit

    "Camp and Yodel" "Cramp and go slow" "Camp Granola"

  10. Jay Hill

    Jay Hill Guest

    Russell Yim wrote:

    > Campagnolo gets messed up quite a bit, as well many other Italian and French branded stuff (can
    > you say Gipiemme?)

    gyp 'em

  11. Mike Krueger

    Mike Krueger Guest

    << and my favorite... PUCH: "pee-utch"? "puke"? >>

    "Pee-yuck"? "Pee-yuchh"? "pootch"? "Pootchie"?

  12. Mikeyankee

    Mikeyankee Guest

    Not MAH-vic, but mah-VIC, with the accent on the last syllable (as is normal in French).

    A good English phonetic approximation is mah-VEEK.

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

  13. Tim McTeague

    Tim McTeague Guest

    I always thought is was pronounced POOK. Many years ago one of the photo mags had a pronunciation
    guide for camera companies. They said Minolta was Min-ah-roo-tah! That was a good one, never, ever
    heard it used that way.

    Tim

    "Mike Krueger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > << and my favorite... PUCH: "pee-utch"? "puke"? >>
    >
    > "Pee-yuck"? "Pee-yuchh"? "pootch"? "Pootchie"?

  14. trek-<< "mah-VEAK"

    is how the French dudes that visited from mavic said it...

    We say Mavic

  15. Harris

    Harris Guest

    "Russell" wrote:
    > Which brings up my question to you, faithful reader of r.b.t.: how do you pronounce Mavic?

    Here in New Yawk (actually Lawng Island), I've always mispronounced it as MAY-vic. ;->

    Art Harris

  16. Harris

    Harris Guest

    "Russell" wrote:
    > Which brings up my question to you, faithful reader of r.b.t.: how do you pronounce Mavic?

    Here in New Yawk (actually Lawng Island), I've always mispronounced it as MAY-vic. ;->

    Art Harris

  17. Maxfield D

    Maxfield D Guest

    How about Dura Ace?

    My LBS pronounces it DU-ra A-chee

    others I hear call it DUR-a Ase

    David Maxfield proud owner of both a Chuck and Pook

  18. Eric Holeman

    Eric Holeman Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Harris <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Here in New Yawk (actually Lawng Island), I've always mispronounced it as MAY-vic. ;->

    Any company that can unleash a ridiculous name (and product) such as Ksyrium is just begging for
    mispronunciation.

    --
    ---
    Eric Holeman Chicago Illinois USA

  19. Eric Holeman

    Eric Holeman Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, KinkyCowboy
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>I do give at least an effort on Pew-zho, though.
    >
    >Albeit an effort in the wrong direction, if my schoolboy french serves me correctly it's per-zho

    No, it's Pew-zho, 'cause to say it right, you have to pretend you're talking like Pepe LePew.

    --
    ---
    Eric Holeman Chicago Illinois USA

  20. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    Hey! if a mavic search is undergone, many more pronounciations are found from exstatic
    mavic owners!!