Mavic: How do YOU say it?

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003 08:12:26 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Eric Holeman) wrote:

>since it doesn't look all that French, I'm guessing it's an acronym anyways)

From one of their old trade catalogues:

"In 1890, two gentlemen, Idoux and Channel, started manufacturing bicycle parts (Manufacture d'
Articles Velocipediques Idoux and Channel) hence our name, MAVIC".

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles
Miami, Florida
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Now in our twentieth year. Our catalogue of track equipment: seventh
year online Miami, Florida

Jay Hill wrote:
> Russell Yim wrote:
>
>> Campagnolo gets messed up quite a bit, as well many other Italian and French branded stuff (can
>> you say Gipiemme?)

I usually say G. P. M. but I know that's wrong.

The scariest one of all, though, has to be Dedaciaili--Deddacciaie-Dedaciaea damn, I can't even
spell it! I have never been so rash as to attmept to pronounce it in public!

Sheldon "No Habla Italiano Sehr Gut" Brown +-----------------------------------------+
| Bicycling isn't supposed to hurt! See: |
| http://sheldonbrown.com/pain.html |
+-----------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

"Sheldon Brown" wrote:

> The scariest one of all, though, has to be Dedaciaili--Deddacciaie-Dedaciaea damn, I can't even
> spell it! I have never been so rash as to attmept to pronounce it in public!

Nah, the worst had to be Guerciotti (sp?). I had a friend who pronounced it Gook-a-rotti.

Art "only Italian by marriage" Harris

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Russell wrote:
>> When I was growing up on the west coast (California), everyone pronounced Porsche "porsh." when I
>> moved to the east coast, it was "porsh-uh."

> That's 'cause the East coast is closer to der Vaterland, so we have to pronounce it correctly.

I got into this argument with several folks. I have heard Ferdinand Prosche pronounce his name
porsh-uh. Most people in my area (Texas) pronounce it porsh though a few Porsche owners perversly
insist on pronouncing it prosh.

>> Which brings up my question to you, faithful reader of r.b.t.: how
do
>> you pronounce Mavic?

>> I've heard it a few different ways:

>> "MAY-vic" "may-VEAK" "mah-VEAK" "MAH-vic"

>> Which do you use, and where do you live?

> When I'm speaking French, it's "mah-VEAK"

> When I'm speaking English it's MA-vic, with "MA" pronounced as in "MAtttess."

My college French teacher told me that one of the first rules of French pronounciation is that
in most words all sylables are equally stressed rather than accenting one sylable like we do
in English.

From this rule I assume the best French pronounciation would be "mah-vic" with both sylables
equally stressed.

Then again, my French teacher also said names don't always follow the usual rules of French
pronouciation so who knows?

Most Anglophones I know pronounce Mavic MA-vic.

Bruce
--
Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, A M/A/R/C Group Company

Hi!

> "mah-VEAK"
This is the correct way.The "EA" should not be pronounced as long as in English.

Derk Drukker French Translator.

BTW: this is why there is a phonetical alphabet! [mavik]

max-<< How about Dura Ace?

Dura Ache-

When will you Campy lovers stop being so insecure about your stuff? I can't see any other reason for
the constant barbs hurled at Shimano. Never seems to go the other way. They are both good stuff so
why to near constant need to denigrate Shimano?

Tim McTeague

> max-<< How about Dura Ace?
>
> Dura Ache-

"Bruce Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > Russell wrote:
> >> When I was growing up on the west coast (California), everyone pronounced Porsche "porsh." when
> >> I moved to the east coast, it was "porsh-uh."
>
> > That's 'cause the East coast is closer to der Vaterland, so we have to pronounce it correctly.

Ah, well 100 miles from there and we don't all pronounce that E.

> Then again, my French teacher also said names don't always follow the usual rules of French
> pronouciation so who knows?

And purposefully make a hash of English pronunciations. I heard a french DJ talking about "spandau
ball-ette" the other day.

"Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Russell" wrote:
> > Which brings up my question to you, faithful reader of r.b.t.: how do you pronounce Mavic?
>
> Here in New Yawk (actually Lawng Island),

Never heard of it. Perhaps you meant to say Lawn Guyland? (You know, the one with Suffick and
Nass-awe.)

I've always mispronounced it as
> MAY-vic. ;->
>
> Art Harris

Did you mean to say, "closer to dem Vaterland"? "Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in

On 08 Mar 2003 12:53:38 GMT, [email protected] (Mike Krueger) wrote:

><< Which brings up my question to you, faithful reader of r.b.t.: how do you pronounce Mavic? >>
>
>That one's easy (MAH-vic), but while we're on the subject, how about these other bike brands?
>
>Ciocc: "CHEE-occ"? "SI-occ"? "CHOHCH"? Cinelli: "sin-ELLI"? "chin-EL-li"? SIDI: "SEE-dee"?
>"SID-dee"?
>
>and my favorite... PUCH: "pee-utch"? "puke"?

When I was considering buying a (then just introduced) Vitus 992, I (like everyone else I knew)
pronounced it VEET-us; like that tennis player who died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Before
purchasing I wanted to know more about parts and service availability; so I called Ochsner
International, then the Vitus importer. I talked to a guy with a thick German accent (who I later
learned was most likely Othar Ochsner) who corrected my pronunciation. He told me it was vee-TOOSE,
so that's what I've said to this day. Over the years I've had many discussions with other Vitus
owners (and others) over my pronunciation. I explain that if I don't order Phil-it Mig-non, why
would I say VEET-us?

Several years ago a couple of French exchange students were staying with a friend of mine. I asked
them to pronounce Vitus, and their pronunciation agreed pretty much with mine, but they did say
Vitus wasn't French word; it's Latin. Sometime I wonder how the Romans would have said it. :)

[email protected] (Russell) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> When I was growing up on the west coast (California), everyone pronounced Porsche "porsh." when I
> moved to the east coast, it was "porsh-uh."
>
> Which brings up my question to you, faithful reader of r.b.t.: how do you pronounce Mavic?
>
> I've heard it a few different ways:
>
> "MAY-vic" "may-VEAK" "mah-VEAK" "MAH-vic"
>
> Which do you use, and where do you live?

Interesting that with MAVIC there is no correct or incorrect way to pronounce it. Unlike Porsche,
which is a family name, MAVIC is, of course, an acronym for "Manufacture d'Articles Vélocipediques
Idoux et Chanel" (Idoux and Chanel being the two founders of MAVIC in 1890).

Pronunciation seems to depend on location. In the 80's I dealt with both east and west coast MAVIC
warehouses. The eastern office would answer the phone "Mah- veek" and the western office would
answer "Mah-vic"

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:36:16 +0100, John Everett wrote:
>>PUCH: "pee-utch"? "puke"?
No way! : [pux] the "ch" is pronounced like in the german word "Flucht"

In this newsgroup we need a tutorial to the Phonetical alphabet! :)

Greets, Derk

> Tim-<< When will you Campy lovers stop being so insecure about your stuff?
> can't see any other reason for the constant barbs hurled at Shimano. Never
seems
> to go the other way.
>
> Guess you missed the post calling Campagnolo 'cramp and go slow'-geez
lighten
> up-it's only bike stuff...
>

> << They are both good stuff so why to near constant need to denigrate Shimano?
>
> cuz it's easy?

As much as I hate the near monopoly that Shimano has on the bike market, its hard to argue with how
well their stuff works.

I used to run Sachs New Success just to be different. If I had known that I could upgrade the little
gear inside the levers, I'd still have them!

Mike

[email protected] (Reco Diver) wrote:

> Interesting that with MAVIC there is no correct or incorrect way to pronounce it. Unlike Porsche,
> which is a family name, MAVIC is, of course, an acronym for "Manufacture d'Articles Vélocipediques
> Idoux et Chanel" (Idoux and Chanel being the two founders of MAVIC in 1890).

Was it always (i.e. since 1890) called MAVIC, or was the acronym introduced later? I get the
impression that acronyms in English were relatively rare before World War I, give or take, but I
don't know if France was the same way.

> Pronunciation seems to depend on location. In the 80's I dealt with both east and west coast MAVIC
> warehouses. The eastern office would answer the phone "Mah- veek" and the western office would
> answer "Mah-vic"

If they can't agree on how to pronounce their own name, I guess we can't expect to either.

--
Ray Heindl (remove the X to reply)

Derk Drukker <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:36:16 +0100, John Everett wrote:
>>>PUCH: "pee-utch"? "puke"?
> No way! : [pux] the "ch" is pronounced like in the german word "Flucht"
>
> In this newsgroup we need a tutorial to the Phonetical alphabet! :)

Try this one: <http://www.alt-usage-english.org/ascii_ipa_choice.html>

It has the advantage of using normal ASCII characters, so everybody can read it.

--
Ray Heindl (remove the X to reply)