Mavic: How do YOU say it?

"John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I wanted to know more about parts and service availability; so I called Ochsner International,
> then the Vitus importer. I talked to a guy with a thick German accent (who I later learned was
> most likely Othar Ochsner) who corrected my pronunciation.

Othon is from Chicago and sounds like it.

> mikeshaw-<< As much as I hate the near monopoly that Shimano has on the
bike
> market, its hard to argue with how well their stuff works.
>
> I used to run Sachs New Success just to be different. If I had known that
> could upgrade the little gear inside the levers, I'd still have them!
>
> Ya mean the levers made by Crampandgoslow???

Them's the ones. 'Cept they said Sachs on them, not Campy... Like I said, different. If Mavic made a
set of shifterst that actually worked (and didn't cost an arm and a leg!), I'd run them.

Mike

> Tim-<< When will you Campy lovers stop being so insecure about your stuff?
> can't see any other reason for the constant barbs hurled at Shimano. Never
seems
> to go the other way.
>
> Guess you missed the post calling Campagnolo 'cramp and go slow'-geez
lighten
> up-it's only bike stuff...

No need to lighten up, I'm not heavy, it's just that the near constant "ripping" on Shimano gets
very tiresome. I have seen the "cramp-n-go-slow" comment a few times, but for every Campy "dis" I
read, I see about 20 going the other way. It just surprises me, if Campy owners really felt their
stuff was superior you would think they would be confident. A true martial artist seldom feels the
need to beat people up, insecure bullies must always show how tough they are. Sound familer? On the
other hand, this newsgroup is a much more civilized place than rec.audio.opinion.

Tim

In article <[email protected]>, Tim McTeague <[email protected]> wrote:

>No need to lighten up, I'm not heavy, it's just that the near constant "ripping" on Shimano gets
>very tiresome. I have seen the "cramp-n-go-slow" comment a few times, but for every Campy "dis" I
>read, I see about 20 going the other way. It just surprises me, if Campy owners really felt their
>stuff was superior you would think they would be confident. A true martial artist seldom feels the
>need to beat people up, insecure bullies must always show how tough they are. Sound familer? On the
>other hand, this newsgroup is a much more civilized place than rec.audio.opinion.

I think one reason you hear those types of complaints and why the Campy/Shimano griping is unlike
rec.audio groups is that the source of a lot of the anti-Shimano words are people who have spent
many years working hands-on with Shimano equipment and are fed up with the anti-servicability
approach that they take, they feel forced to sell and service it because of the reality of OEM bike
parts these days, and they see this newsgroup as a good outlet for the typical mechanic's after-work
*****fest. This is a social phenomenon that occurs in every bike shop in the country and it is
natural that it would be repeated here. Of course not every mechanic shares the anti-Shimano opinion
- in fact many mechanics don't give a fart for Campagnolo because they work 98% of the time on
mountain bikes. Believe me they have plenty of other things to ***** about though, such as
suspension and shitty brakes.

So I tend to take a tolerant view of it and admit that I participate in it for entertainment. That's
because I no longer drink beer in a bike shop every evening so I find it here instead.

--Paul

"Tim McTeague" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> I have seen the "cramp-n-go-slow" comment a few times, but for every Campy "dis" I read, I see
> about 20 going the other way. It just surprises me, if Campy owners really felt their stuff was
> superior you would think they would be confident.

What makes you think that all the shimano dissing is from Campy owners?

Well, I guess it's the fact that Campy is often praised in the same breath. My take is that it has
more to do with Shimano's market dominance than anything to do with quality. I know, I've heard all
the stories about how you can't rebuild Shimano shifters but a trained chimp with ADD can rebuild
Campy's, etc., etc. I had Campy stuff years ago and was not really impressed. That said, Campagnolo
seemed to be floundering about a while back and seems much more solid today. If I were rebuilding a
bike from scratch I might try Chorus, but as it stands I'll stick with Dura-Ace. The trouble with
the reading this tech group and bike websites is that you tend to obsess on hardware and forget the
whole point of cycling. Now don't everyone point out that this is rec.bicycles.TECH! Information is
good but food fights are only fun for a very short time. Hey, didn't this thread used to be about
pronunciation?

Tim

"Mike Latondresse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> What makes you think that all the shimano dissing is from Campy owners?

While we are on the subject of pronunciation - How do you say Ideale?

French bikes used to come with their leather saddles. I still have a couple.

Ideale is out of business now, right?

"Waal" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
> news:[email protected]...
> > Mais non! Ee-day-ahl.
>
> no, like idé-al

Well, yes, but as the OP does not speak French and is not sure how to pronounce Idéale in the first
place, that's probably not going to help him much. The way an English speaker would pronounce
ee-day-ahl is not exact but is reasonably close.

--
Dave...

"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Waal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Mais non! Ee-day-ahl.
> >
> > no, like idé-al
>
> Well, yes, but as the OP does not speak French and is not sure how to pronounce Idéale in the
> first place, that's probably not going to help him much. The way an English speaker would
> pronounce ee-day-ahl is not exact but is reasonably close.

Thanks.

I'm the OP. Which syllable is accented in ee-day-ahl?

"Bob Shanteau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Thanks.
>
> I'm the OP. Which syllable is accented in ee-day-ahl?

The 3 syllables are pronounced evenly, with a slight stress on the last one. The "y" in "day" is
there to show you how the "a" is pronounced and should not itself be sounded. The 3rd syllable
therefore should not sound like "yahl".

This is of course only an approximation to the correct pronunciation as vowels are pronounced
differently in French than in English, but you would be perfectly understood by a French speaker.
This link might help if you're interested in going a bit deeper.

http://french.about.com/library/pronunciation/bl-pronunciation-vowels.htm

From your surname it looks as though you may well have French ancestors.

--
Dave...

[email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Bob Shanteau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Thanks.
> >
> > I'm the OP. Which syllable is accented in ee-day-ahl?
>
> The 3 syllables are pronounced evenly, with a slight stress on the last one. The "y" in "day" is
> there to show you how the "a" is pronounced and should not itself be sounded. The 3rd syllable
> therefore should not sound like "yahl".
>
> This is of course only an approximation to the correct pronunciation as vowels are pronounced
> differently in French than in English, but you would be perfectly understood by a French speaker.
> This link might help if you're interested in going a bit deeper.
>
> http://french.about.com/library/pronunciation/bl-pronunciation-vowels.htm
>
> From your surname it looks as though you may well have French ancestors.

I've said i dee ahl for 25 or more yrs. but I don't give a damn how to say it, I just really wish
they were stil in biz. If I had know they were going under, I would have bought a copule of their
saddles (at 10 to 25 yrs each, should be enough to last the rest of my life). I don't think Brooks
are as good.