Mavic Hub Seal...ditch it?

teamgomez

Aug 23, 2005
I recently got a bushing kit from the 'bay that included a 'fresh' seal...only problem is that it spec'd approx 25% thicker than the original one (no- original one not that worn). I asked supplier for correct seal and they said there were 'working it'...so I put the old seal back on and the new plastic bushing sticks to the damed seal like glue (bad!) so I ditched the seal until the 'other supplier' on ebay (the one w/ 4 'tabs' on the outer rim of the seal) shows up. Couple questions-

1. Anybody run the hub w/o the seal? No wet ridin' and I pull the hub every 40 hrs or so for GP

2. New bushing directions mentions adding "two washers" instead of using only one btwn the hub/bearing casing 'if necessary'. The wheels are Ksyrium SL's 2002 vintage...wonder if that would buy me the seal pressure relief?

Yeah...the design sux but they're good training wheels w/ 25's mounted on 'em (huge diff btwn williams 30's that I bought to race...details on the Williams to follow sepcor...not real happy so far...). Thx!

~John

Given that the bushing is the weak point of every Mavic rear hub, I wouldn't remove the seals. The seals don't detract from performance in any significant way. Seal drag is insignificant.

teamgomez said:
I recently got a bushing kit from the 'bay that included a 'fresh' seal...only problem is that it spec'd approx 25% thicker than the original one (no- original one not that worn). I asked supplier for correct seal and they said there were 'working it'...so I put the old seal back on and the new plastic bushing sticks to the damed seal like glue (bad!) so I ditched the seal until the 'other supplier' on ebay (the one w/ 4 'tabs' on the outer rim of the seal) shows up. Couple questions-

1. Anybody run the hub w/o the seal? No wet ridin' and I pull the hub every 40 hrs or so for GP

2. New bushing directions mentions adding "two washers" instead of using only one btwn the hub/bearing casing 'if necessary'. The wheels are Ksyrium SL's 2002 vintage...wonder if that would buy me the seal pressure relief?

Yeah...the design sux but they're good training wheels w/ 25's mounted on 'em (huge diff btwn williams 30's that I bought to race...details on the Williams to follow sepcor...not real happy so far...). Thx!

~John

Use the old seal

Yes, Mavic tech tip, use 2 washers under the freehub body. The original plus another .5mm one.

Oil well, including the seal where it rubs on the bottom of the freehub body. OIL, not grease. I use Mobil One....

copy on the tech tip- thx. I'm also using mobil 1 (.5 qt leftover from the 6.5 engine rqmnt goes to the bike bench) and my first ride on the new hub/seal locked up my damned drailer on a backspin when the cassette seized and my derailer got sucked up as a result :mad: Whatever material that bushing was made of sticks to the seal like a twinkie to Oprah...

I'll add the second washer/adjust as req'd but I'm ditching the recently r'rd bushing for the newer one and will resinstall old seal. Thx!

~John

Peter@vecchios said:
Use the old seal

Yes, Mavic tech tip, use 2 washers under the freehub body. The original plus another .5mm one.

Oil well, including the seal where it rubs on the bottom of the freehub body. OIL, not grease. I use Mobil One....

I have been using either Phil's Tenacious Oil or Pedro's Road Rage on my Mavic wheelsets' maintenance. I am curious as to whether Mobil One Synthetic oil works well, as it is cheaper for me since I already use it on my car.

Is Mobil One Synthetic weight-appropriate for oiling Mavic Ksyrium wheelsets?

can't answer as to the 'proper weight' of 5w30 and don't have any of Phil's oil around to compare.

Update on the hub bushing- there's two vendors right now on eBay that are selling them- jbosboom and john5w76...the jbosboom hub bushing was THICKER thus put more pressure on the seal...the other guy's bushing sat lower (thinner) in the hub face and with the 2nd washer, the hub spins like a champ. Thanks for the gouge, Peter.

~John

LUCASOG said:
I have been using either Phil's Tenacious Oil or Pedro's Road Rage on my Mavic wheelsets' maintenance. I am curious as to whether Mobil One Synthetic oil works well, as it is cheaper for me since I already use it on my car.

Is Mobil One Synthetic weight-appropriate for oiling Mavic Ksyrium wheelsets?

Yep, use it all the time. Biggest advantage is that it doesn't get thicker in the cold.

teamgomez said:
can't answer as to the 'proper weight' of 5w30 and don't have any of Phil's oil around to compare.

Update on the hub bushing- there's two vendors right now on eBay that are selling them- jbosboom and john5w76...the jbosboom hub bushing was THICKER thus put more pressure on the seal...the other guy's bushing sat lower (thinner) in the hub face and with the 2nd washer, the hub spins like a champ. Thanks for the gouge, Peter.

~John

Happy to help. Ya gotta be either in the military or ex military..'Gouge', 'sepcor', 'copy on the tech tip'......

Phormer Phantom and Turkey Pilot, 1973-1993.....USN(ret)

Affirm- patchwearin' pointy nosed guy since '90...Bville/Lemoore/AAL(still furloughed)/SD (reserves Depot/SDLM PMCF bubba back to AD)/PaxRiver/Monterey (MS)/???

Excellent Velo Club at Pax, BTW...