Mavic Ksyrium Elite ('11) -vs- Roval Fusee SL 25 ('10) -vs- stock Fulcrum Racing 7 ('11)

VTTimC

May 11, 2011
Just got fitted to my brand new shiny Cervelo R3 today. (Man, she is one sweet machine.)

I understand that Cervelo saved a bit with their wheel choice, and they should be one of the first upgrades. (The front wheel has actually gone out of true already after just a few test rides, so I'm inclined to agree.) I can get either the 2011 Mavic Ksyrium Elites or the 2010 Royal Fusee SL 25s swapped in for the stock 2011 Fulcrum Racing 7s by the shop for ~$400 more.

I'd prefer something more stable and maintenance-free over lighter weight. (I'll just work off some of the lunch muscle instead.) I'm 185lbs, and looking for a single set of wheels. Loads of hilly riding in mostly club rides, with some centuries thrown in.

Thoughts? Anyone actually used any combination of those three and can compare? Is it worth the money to swap in either set, or should I just ride the Fulcrums, save the $400, and pick up different wheels on ebay at the end of the season?

Regards all - keep the rubber side down,
-Tim

Hi VTTimc, for $400 you can get Williams 19 or 30 wheelsets or even Prolite Bracciano or Stelvio wheelsets :)

Thanks for the pointers to the Prolite wheels - hadn't heard of them, but the reviews all sounds very good, and for half the price after selling the stock wheels... Sounds like a good plan. (I'd like to hunt around and see if anyone here carries them to demo, but that'd just be gravy.)

Keep the rubber side down,
-Tim

Originally Posted by VTTimC .

Just got fitted to my brand new shiny Cervelo R3 today. (Man, she is one sweet machine.)

I understand that Cervelo saved a bit with their wheel choice, and they should be one of the first upgrades. (The front wheel has actually gone out of true already after just a few test rides, so I'm inclined to agree.) I can get either the 2011 Mavic Ksyrium Elites or the 2010 Royal Fusee SL 25s swapped in for the stock 2011 Fulcrum Racing 7s by the shop for ~$400 more.

I'd prefer something more stable and maintenance-free over lighter weight. (I'll just work off some of the lunch muscle instead.) I'm 185lbs, and looking for a single set of wheels. Loads of hilly riding in mostly club rides, with some centuries thrown in.

Thoughts? Anyone actually used any combination of those three and can compare? Is it worth the money to swap in either set, or should I just ride the Fulcrums, save the $400, and pick up different wheels on ebay at the end of the season?

Regards all - keep the rubber side down,
-Tim
Find a local, good wheelbuilder who will design a wheelset specifically for you and your needs. Better hubs, standard parts, will weigh the same or less and cost less.