Mavic Ksyrium Elite BR6 vs Mavic Ksyrium Elite

Frank Drackman

Guest
I need to get a new wheel for one of my bikes and was surprised to find that
Performance lists two versions of the Ksyruim Elite, the standard and the
BR6. They don't list what the differences are, does anyone know?

Frank Drackman wrote:
> I need to get a new wheel for one of my bikes and was surprised to find that
> Performance lists two versions of the Ksyruim Elite, the standard and the
> BR6. They don't list what the differences are, does anyone know?

Not even on their web site but have you considered having a good
wheelbuilder design and build a wheel for you? That will be cheaper,
better made, perform the same or better? Much better hub to boot?

> Frank Drackman wrote:
>> I need to get a new wheel for one of my bikes and was surprised to find
>> that
>> Performance lists two versions of the Ksyruim Elite, the standard and the
>> BR6. They don't list what the differences are, does anyone know?

> Not even on their web site but have you considered having a good
> wheelbuilder design and build a wheel for you? That will be cheaper,
> better made, perform the same or better? Much better hub to boot?

Peter I have great respect for your knowledge and your support of this
newsgroup but as soon as I posted this message I thought that I would get
this type of response. I am a big rider and have had numerous wheels built
by local wheel builders. To be exact I would have to go back and look at
the my spreadsheet that captured the mileage but I am sure that I never
exceeded 500 miles on a hand built wheel without a failure. I have over
3,000 miles on each of my Ksyruim Elites without a failure. My first
Ksyruim Elite was a rear wheel and I ordered extra spokes for both sides
because I had heard that they were a pain to get but I have never used them.

I will anticipate the next response, "You had them built by the wrong guy,
or they used the wrong parts, if you had them built by X they wheel would
still be fine." To determine who would be the best local builder I went to
the shops with the best reputation and asked, "If I wanted a wheel built,
and for whatever reason I couldn't get it built at your shop, who would you
recommend"? When I had a consensus I went to that builder and told them my
situation and went with their recommendation for rim, number of spokes, hub
and lacing pattern. All of the builders chose 36 spokes, 3 cross, Ultegra
hubs, but a few different rims.

I have two homes so I had wheels built on the East Coast and the West Coast.
I think the shortest that I went without breaking a spoke was slightly over
100 miles and the longest was close to 500 miles. For me Ksyruim Elites
have been by far the best value in a wheelset. They have been bullet proof
and that is what I want in a wheel.

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:38:16 -0700, "Frank Drackman"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I never exceeded 500 miles on a hand built wheel without a failure.

<snips>
> the shortest that I went without breaking a spoke was slightly over
>100 miles and the longest was close to 500 miles.

Wow!

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

Frank Drackman wrote:
> I am a big rider and have had numerous wheels built
> by local wheel builders. To be exact I would have to go back and look at
> the my spreadsheet that captured the mileage but I am sure that I never
> exceeded 500 miles on a hand built wheel without a failure. I have over
> 3,000 miles on each of my Ksyruim Elites without a failure. My first
> Ksyruim Elite was a rear wheel and I ordered extra spokes for both sides
> because I had heard that they were a pain to get but I have never used them.
>
> I will anticipate the next response, "You had them built by the wrong guy,
> or they used the wrong parts, if you had them built by X they wheel would
> still be fine." To determine who would be the best local builder I went to
> the shops with the best reputation and asked, "If I wanted a wheel built,
> and for whatever reason I couldn't get it built at your shop, who would you
> recommend"? When I had a consensus I went to that builder and told them my
> situation and went with their recommendation for rim, number of spokes, hub
> and lacing pattern. All of the builders chose 36 spokes, 3 cross, Ultegra
> hubs, but a few different rims.
>
> I have two homes so I had wheels built on the East Coast and the West Coast.
> I think the shortest that I went without breaking a spoke was slightly over
> 100 miles and the longest was close to 500 miles. For me Ksyruim Elites
> have been by far the best value in a wheelset. They have been bullet proof
> and that is what I want in a wheel.

Based on your statements, I'll bet there are a lot of people here that
are curious as to how much you actually weigh. I weigh over 180, ride
handbuilt 32 spoke wheels exclusively, and have never, ever broken a
spoke in tens of thousands of miles ridden.

"Mike Krueger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Based on your statements, I'll bet there are a lot of people here that

> are curious as to how much you actually weigh. I weigh over 180, ride
> handbuilt 32 spoke wheels exclusively, and have never, ever broken a
> spoke in tens of thousands of miles ridden.

262 pounds this morning. I seem to go between 240 & 275

"Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mike Krueger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > > Based on your statements, I'll bet there are a lot of people here that

> > are curious as to how much you actually weigh. I weigh over 180, ride
> > handbuilt 32 spoke wheels exclusively, and have never, ever broken a
> > spoke in tens of thousands of miles ridden.

> 262 pounds this morning. I seem to go between 240 & 275

36 hole rims, 3X pattern front and back with 14/15 spokes and a decent ball
bearing (not sealed bearing) hub. Maybe Record or DA depending on which part
of the planet your equipment was made in. I have had much heavier guys
getting loads of miles on wheels like I described. Something is definitely
wrong here...

Bruce

Frank Drackman wrote:
> 262 pounds this morning. I seem to go between 240 & 275

What tires and pressure do you use?

--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.

"Victor Kan" <[email protected]_UCEloopdrive.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Frank Drackman wrote:
>> 262 pounds this morning. I seem to go between 240 & 275

> What tires and pressure do you use?

Various 25 mm tires & 5 pounds below the rated max.

Frank Drackman wrote:
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Frank Drackman wrote:
> >> I need to get a new wheel for one of my bikes and was surprised to find
> >> that
> >> Performance lists two versions of the Ksyruim Elite, the standard and the
> >> BR6. They don't list what the differences are, does anyone know?

> > Not even on their web site but have you considered having a good
> > wheelbuilder design and build a wheel for you? That will be cheaper,
> > better made, perform the same or better? Much better hub to boot?
> >

> Peter I have great respect for your knowledge and your support of this
> newsgroup but as soon as I posted this message I thought that I would get
> this type of response. I am a big rider and have had numerous wheels built
> by local wheel builders. To be exact I would have to go back and look at
> the my spreadsheet that captured the mileage but I am sure that I never
> exceeded 500 miles on a hand built wheel without a failure. I have over
> 3,000 miles on each of my Ksyruim Elites without a failure. My first
> Ksyruim Elite was a rear wheel and I ordered extra spokes for both sides
> because I had heard that they were a pain to get but I have never used them.
>
> I will anticipate the next response, "You had them built by the wrong guy,
> or they used the wrong parts, if you had them built by X they wheel would
> still be fine." To determine who would be the best local builder I went to
> the shops with the best reputation and asked, "If I wanted a wheel built,
> and for whatever reason I couldn't get it built at your shop, who would you
> recommend"? When I had a consensus I went to that builder and told them my
> situation and went with their recommendation for rim, number of spokes, hub
> and lacing pattern. All of the builders chose 36 spokes, 3 cross, Ultegra
> hubs, but a few different rims.
>
> I have two homes so I had wheels built on the East Coast and the West Coast.
> I think the shortest that I went without breaking a spoke was slightly over
> 100 miles and the longest was close to 500 miles. For me Ksyruim Elites
> have been by far the best value in a wheelset. They have been bullet proof
> and that is what I want in a wheel.

The object of the ride is the ride and no need to respond since you did
it for me.

If the mavic wheels had a better rear hub, and not be so much $, they
'could' be a good wheel but I see far more mavic wheels for service
here(ones that we did not sell) than any of the ones we built. YMMV, as
they say. Nothing about any wheel out of a box impresses me to the
point I will sell them, from any manufacturer. If these things work for
you, and means you can ride w/o problem...you win....