mavic Ksyrium Elite rear wheel with Ksyrium Equipe front wheel - possible?

jerseyrider

Mar 16, 2005
Hi,

Is it doable to have an Elite as your rear wheel and an Equipe as your front? Does anyone know of any issues with that? I've bought an Elite rear and I have found a modestly priced Equipe front. I believe the finish is the same so it shouldn't look weird.

Any thoughts? And please forgive me if it's a stupid question.

Thanks

jerseyrider said:
Hi,

Is it doable to have an Elite as your rear wheel and an Equipe as your front? Does anyone know of any issues with that? I've bought an Elite rear and I have found a modestly priced Equipe front. I believe the finish is the same so it shouldn't look weird.

Thanks
The only problem will be attitude from equipment snobs who disapprove. Apart from that, there are absolutely no practical issues with mixing these wheels.

Cheers,
J.

Of course you can

Make sure you have different tyres too though or some equipment snobs might miss the different wheels :rolleyes:;):D

domaindomain said:
Of course you can

Make sure you have different tyres too though or some equipment snobs might miss the different wheels :rolleyes:;):D

For God's sake just don't put that front wheel in backwards!

Check out a race, lots of people grab a spare wheel from Mavic neutral support. They don't care, just a wheel. I rode an Elite front with a generic 32 hole rear on my trainer bike for years. Different tire, different color rims, never had a problem.

capwater said:
For God's sake just don't put that front wheel in backwards!

Check out a race, lots of people grab a spare wheel from Mavic neutral support. They don't care, just a wheel. I rode an Elite front with a generic 32 hole rear on my trainer bike for years. Different tire, different color rims, never had a problem.
I had different wheels and tires on my steel road bike for about 8 years. First replacement wheelset on that bike was a Matrix ISO/Ultegra 32 spoke wheelset from Colo Cyclist. After the rear gave up around '95, had the hub rebuilt with an MA-40 rim, while keeping the ISO on front. Finally had them both rebuilt with new matching rims after the rear failed again. Tires were most always mis-matched as well.

Now that I'm on my locally-built "custom" frame, I spend a bit more to keep the tires matching. Have to be more careful of the image of course.

I've cxp-22 with red tyre in front and aerohead offset rear with black tyre (none of this is deliberate, just replacement of the stock fittings with my preference). I think it looks good, or,at least, interesting! :cool:

jerseyrider said:
Hi,

Thanks

Of course you can mix wheels. When you are on the road, people won't notice the difference or the few extra grams in the cheaper wheel-nor will you.