Mavic Ksyrium ES Wheels - Losing paint

Stanners77

Aug 3, 2004
Hey all,

I washed my bike today for the first time since upgrading my wheels to a set of Mavic Ksyrium ES's a few weeks ago. I always err on the side of caution with degreasers and I use Citro Clean (Citrus Degreaser) diluted in a bucket of Meguiar's car wash and warm water.

To my horror, some of the funky red anodising on the rear hub flaked off - ARRRGGHHH :eek: !!!

Has this happened to anyone else with these wheels????

I think I'll be off the beauty shop tomorrow in search of some red nail polish...

Stanners77 said:
Hey all,

I washed my bike today for the first time since upgrading my wheels to a set of Mavic Ksyrium ES's a few weeks ago. I always err on the side of caution with degreasers and I use Citro Clean (Citrus Degreaser) diluted in a bucket of Meguiar's car wash and warm water.

To my horror, some of the funky red anodising on the rear hub flaked off - ARRRGGHHH :eek: !!!

I think I'll be off the beauty shop tomorrow in search of some red nail polish...

> KSYRIUM ES???? -----NO. I dont wash or clean my bike that way. Maybe those chemicals when mixed with other chem they react. I dont put/apply too much chems on those paints even on cars, etc.. Put those chems away from your bike even while cleaning. If you want, a better idea for me is to remove the chains, casstes, etc.. just before cleaning them....( sorry for my english-hope you get it.:) )

Hi

I'd discontinue using degreaser on the frame, except for the chain, I even seen citrus degreasers turn clear coat cloudy (opaque) on painted and carbon frames. It also seems to affect anodised parts which are clear coated.

I would just use some good car wash, and then finish off the bike with some
Finish line pro detailer, sometimes I only use the detailer as the repeated applications builds up protective layers which don't allow road grime
to stick. The dirt can then be wiped of with a damp cloth.

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/pro-detailer.htm

Stanners77 said:
Hey all,

Unless you're into Paris-Roubaix, you're better off with just water. Use a pressurized to easily remove the grime. If not just use a non-abrasive cloth and plain water.

Stanners77 said:
Hey all,

Yes!!! I had the same issue with my rear HUB. I contacted Mavic, no luck. Cheap Paint I guess!!!

D Walt said:
Yes!!! I had the same issue with my rear HUB. I contacted Mavic, no luck. Cheap Paint I guess!!!

After a week on the Outer Banks of NC (a lot of salt air) I tried cleaning my ES rear hub with citrus degreaser and the red came off too. Mavic wouldn't cover it. I told them that had never happened on any other component, but they wouldn't budge. Eventually they relented and replaced the rear hub for 'cost' (about $100), so that was OK

I'd leave the strong chemicals (and just because if says Citrus degreaser doesn't mean that it's any weaker that full-on chemical based solvents) for cleaning sprockets when they're off the bike, or diluted when they're still on the back wheel.

Dish soap, hot water and a cloth or soft brush will shift pretty much anything on wheels/frames. Use either clean water with a sponge or a low pressure hose to rinse. Rinsing is just as important as cleaning as any cleaning agent can react with carbon, clearcoat, paint or any polished metals such as aluminum lugs etc...

swampy1970 said:
I'd leave the strong chemicals (and just because if says Citrus degreaser doesn't mean that it's any weaker that full-on chemical based solvents) for cleaning sprockets when they're off the bike, or diluted when they're still on the back wheel.

Dish soap, hot water and a cloth or soft brush will shift pretty much anything on wheels/frames. Use either clean water with a sponge or a low pressure hose to rinse. Rinsing is just as important as cleaning as any cleaning agent can react with carbon, clearcoat, paint or any polished metals such as aluminum lugs etc...

In 20+ years of using citrus degreaser to clean just about everything, that never happened with any other bicycle stuff: frame, component, wheels, etc. Never once. That's stupid. Mavic wheels should be able to withstand a little cleaning.