Mavic Ksyrium or Bontrager Race X-Lite or Campy Eurus

lawrenpx

Sep 15, 2003
As I choose the final components for my new road bike, my LBS tells me he is having a tough time finding the 2004 Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL and is suggesting Bontrager Race X-Lite instead. I've read good things about the Ksyrium in the Forum but have not heard much about the Bontranger. Alternatively, wondering whether I should go with the Campy Eurus instread. I think they are all in roughly the same price range.

Any comments or recommendations?

Thanks!!!

I think those are all pretty slick wheels, and they're all of closely comparable weight, with good reliability feedback. The Ksyriums are the stiffest of the three, I believe, if that's important to you; ride quality is perhaps a tad plusher with with the Eurus. Which one matches your paint scheme the best?

Originally posted by lokstah
I think those are all pretty slick wheels, and they're all of closely comparable weight, with good reliability feedback. The Ksyriums are the stiffest of the three, I believe, if that's important to you; ride quality is perhaps a tad plusher with with the Eurus. Which one matches your paint scheme the best?

Mavic Ksyrium SL's

Originally posted by lokstah

I just turned 50 (Ahhhhhh!) and I am looking more for comfort, rather than performance, so I can continue my long workouts and stay in good shape. It would seem that you would be recommending the "plusher" feel of the Eurus, right?

Even though my philosophy tends more toward function, for those that must know, and I hesitate, my new bike is unpainted TI (Seven Axiom).

Thanks to all.

Try out the Topolinos. www.topolinotech.com. Everything I've heard about these wheels, from people that have ridden them say that all company claims are true.

Much lighter and a much better rider. Check it out. I am buying a pair and I just bought a Seven Alaris.

Lar

Originally posted by lawrenpx
As I choose the final components for my new road bike, my LBS tells me he is having a tough time finding the 2004 Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL and is suggesting Bontrager Race X-Lite instead. I've read good things about the Ksyrium in the Forum but have not heard much about the Bontranger. Alternatively, wondering whether I should go with the Campy Eurus instread. I think they are all in roughly the same price range.

Any comments or recommendations?

Thanks!!!

--I have been riding Eurus for about a year (about 8000 kilometers), after riding the original Ksyriums for the year (and simialr distance) before that. I like both, but I remember that the Eurus initially felt both less vertically compliant and very slightly less laterally stiff than the Ks. I adjusted quickly and they feel fine now. Given the nature of the K SL modifications, I would think the SLs would feel a little more comfortable. But both are very solid, stiff, bulletproof wheels in my experience. Never had to true either set.

I ride with the local Trek dealer, who has the Bontragers Race X-Lites. His creak a lot and have a noisy freehub. They may be aberrational.

Originally posted by larpup
Try out the Topolinos. www.topolinotech.com. Everything I've heard about these wheels, from people that have ridden them say that all company claims are true.

Much lighter and a much better rider. Check it out. I am buying a pair and I just bought a Seven Alaris.

Lar

the wheels onthis site look impressive. what price range are these?

Retail I believe is $845.00. Check with your LBS though.

There has been quite a bit of jabber on the internet relating to the positive as well as negative aspects of these wheels, however, the concept makes perfect sense IMHO. However, with a carbon hub and spokes, the lightness and most importantly the way the spokes are attached, makes a lot of sense to me. It seems that they have used top-of-the-line parts as well.

I have written the designer and he was kind enought to call me and discuss my concerns. I think these wheels are a great example of American ingenuity.

I do not race but I ride a lot and do a quite a bit of altitude. These are for me. Good luck.

LarPup

Originally posted by lawrenpx
I just turned 50 (Ahhhhhh!) and I am looking more for comfort, rather than performance, so I can continue my long workouts and stay in good shape. It would seem that you would be recommending the "plusher" feel of the Eurus, right?

Even though my philosophy tends more toward function, for those that must know, and I hesitate, my new bike is unpainted TI (Seven Axiom).

Thanks to all.

I'm also looking at new wheels for a new frame I'm ordering soon. The framebuilder offers Bont and Velomax in build packages, so I'm very interested in any reviews of the Bont X-Lites (or Velomax wheels) also. Both look very good to me.

Was at my LBS today, got a strong recommendation for the smooth ride of the Ksyrium SLs. He said people notice the difference right away. Also, several guys from the shop ride and race on them, and have found them "bombproof". Handling the wheel as we talked, I really like the looks of the straight-pull spokes and rear hub. The bearings seemed excellent.

When I mentioned not spending this kind of money on wheels, got the advice to save on the gruppo if necessary, but spend on the wheels. Thought here is that you're only shifting and braking a small part of the time, but the wheels are always rolling....

Dan

Originally posted by dhk
I'm also looking at new wheels for a new frame I'm ordering soon. The framebuilder offers Bont and Velomax in build packages, so I'm very interested in any reviews of the Bont X-Lites (or Velomax wheels) also. Both look very good to me.

Was at my LBS today, got a strong recommendation for the smooth ride of the Ksyrium SLs. He said people notice the difference right away. Also, several guys from the shop ride and race on them, and have found them "bombproof". Handling the wheel as we talked, I really like the looks of the straight-pull spokes and rear hub. The bearings seemed excellent.

When I mentioned not spending this kind of money on wheels, got the advice to save on the gruppo if necessary, but spend on the wheels. Thought here is that you're only shifting and braking a small part of the time, but the wheels are always rolling....

Dan

--Saving on the group to pay for the wheels can be a good idea, so long as you still have a solid group. For example, I would consider dropping from Record to Chorus or to get the SLs, but I am not sure about Chorus to Daytona ( have all three on various bikes, the last on my CX bike). You might also mix and match, by saving on selected components. I don't have much experience with the Shimano groups, but I have ridden with alot of folks, including some pros and ex-pros in Europe, who think Ultegra is fine, at least for training.

The consensus among those I ride with is the same about Mavic and SLs -- great hubs and bearings, bombproof. You might want to order one each of the three spoke lengths when you order your wheels, just in case. On the other hand, I've never heard of Ksyrium spoke breakage except in a crash.

Hi guys,

This is my first post on this forum.
I have exactly the same question: which wheelset to buy?

My lovely Trek5200 (2002) got stolen from the depot of the transport company a few days ago when I moved house! :(
Although I feel slightly emotional about losing the bike on which I enjoyed so many nice rides, I will now take advantage of the situation and buy a slightly upgraded (5200) bike.

I want to replace the standard Bontager "Race Lite" with "Race-X-Lite", Mavic SSC-SL (or maybe the Campy Eurus?). But which one to choose?

I like the looks of the Mavic better than the Bontrager (the red of the weels doesn't match the paintjob of my bike so well) but I heard that the ride of the SSC-SL is less smooth than the Bontragers. Anybody experience with both these wheelsets??
Is it true that the SSC-SL is quite a harsh ride? For me smoothness is important, I'm more a tour guy than a racer.

Thanks! Aernout

Aernout: What I heard yesterday was that the SLs have a very smooth ride, but finding someone with actual experience on both of these wheelsets would be key. Also, tires and pressures of course play a role.

I've also heard that low-spoke count wheels have a stiff ride due to the high spoke tension they require, and that best ride is still a good rim laced with 32 14/15/14 spokes.

Like frames, seems to me there is a trade between lateral stiffness, vertical compliance, and torque stiffness on the rear. IE, a smooth-riding rear wheel would tend to flex laterally and wind-up when climbing out of the saddle.

Look381i: Exactly, was talking the trade-off of DA vs Ultegra, or perhaps Record vs Chorus/Centaur triple mix. I like the style of Campy...may be willing to pay the extra bucks to get those fine-looking Ergo levers! Thanks for reply.

Dan

Originally posted by dhk
Look381i: Exactly, was talking the trade-off of DA vs Ultegra, or perhaps Record vs Chorus/Centaur triple mix. I like the style of Campy...may be willing to pay the extra bucks to get those fine-looking Ergo levers! Thanks for reply.

Dan

Dan,

Unless you will be touring with panniers, etc., consider staying with a Campy double chainring and throwing a 13-29 cassette on the back. If you work out the gear inches, you see that a 39/29 combo is about what low gear you'll have with most triple set ups. The standard Centaur rear der can handle the 13-29. With Chorus or Record, you'd be advised to go to the med cage rear der. If the 13-29 is overkill, try the 12-25 or 13-26.

The Record levers are nice.

Chris

Most of the difference between Record and Chorus seems to be carbon and titanium instead of aluminum and steel in selected locations. Design seems to be the same. When you go down to Daytona or Centaur, there are design changes - 2 bearings instead of 3 in the pedals, etc...

Having used both, I had a distinct preference for the Ergo shifters over STI. Much more positive feel when shifting. That may be personal preference, though.

I had been riding Rolf Vector Pro wheels, very low spoke count (14/16) and very stiff. Terrific wheels, especially on downhills, but the ride was bone jarring. A lot of the stiff ride comes from the radial or 1 cross spoke lacing - 2 or 3 cross lacing has a little more flex to it. Picked up a set of Campy Zonda wheels a couple of months back. Still a good aero wheel, but somewhat milder ride.

Look381i: Thanks, a 29 in back would certainly be an option....1.34 low gear with 39 ring vs the 30/25 ratio of 1.2. Another way to go for lightweight of course is the "compact" chainring double; ie, 50/34. But, also like the idea of a tight set of ratios in my main cruising range, which a 42 center triple chainring on a 12/25 would give.

I'll go ahead and start a new thread to continue this gearing discussion, so we don't pull this one totally off-topic.

Dan

Mavics are great, however I found them to be a bit like a waggon wheel ? stiff and dull, switched to AM classic 420's and could not believe the ride, super fast, light perhaps a little spookey but ultimatley a higher performance wheel.

Mavic 2004 are avaliable from www.glorycycles.com I would suggest looking at American Classic 420's www.amclassic.com

Thought I would give you an update:

My LBS just got the 2004 Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL wheel sets in, so I will be going with them rather than Campy. You should be able to get yours now too.

Thanks for all your well appreciated advice.

Paul

OK, I just ordered Bontrager Race-X-Lite for my new bike.
I hope I won't be disappointed :)

I've got a set of the Cane Creek Volos wheels. Resonably light (~1600g), laterally stiff, and not a harsh ride at all given the high spoke tensions.

Another option for folks to consider.