Mavic Ksyrium - Spacer/Wedge Question

lawyering

Aug 11, 2003
I'm looking at my Ksyrium Elite Wheels with the M10 Hub and the user instructions and there is a gap. I'm sure its somewhere in my brain.

I want to mount my 9-speed Shimano Compatible (SRAM) Cassette.

There is the Chain disc plastic thing that I assume I do not use.

There is a silver (alloy?) washer that I think is the "positioning spacer" that the instructions refer to but is pictured as black.

There is also a small black rubber washer thing.

What is that rubber washer thing? Is it the positioning spacer or is the bigger silver thing the positioning spacer? Where does the rubber thing go?

The Mavic website was not much help to me.

Please help.

Originally posted by lawyering
I'm looking at my Ksyrium Elite Wheels with the M10 Hub and the user instructions and there is a gap. I'm sure its somewhere in my brain.

There is a silver (alloy?) washer that I think is the "positioning spacer" that the instructions refer to but is pictured as black.

What is that rubber washer thing? Is it the positioning spacer or is the bigger silver thing the positioning spacer? Where does the rubber thing go?

Please help.

I'm not sure if I can be any help to you but I'll tell you what I can. Indeed the Mavic site is of little, if any, help. The instructions sent with the wheels is even less help. What I know about the Ksyriums I know from the SL SSCs rather than the Elites but I'm going to assume they're pretty similar in the respect of mounting the cogs.

I'm not sure what black rubber washer you're talking about unless it is the black o-ring that Mavic uses to secure the label to the freehub body. If that's what you're talking about, that's all it does. Toss it. The metal washer is the spacer for mounting a 9-speed cogset. The black, plastic spoke protector shipped with both of my Ksyrium wheelsets was worse than useless. If used it actually caused a problem because it pressed against the spokes at the outer edge and locks into the freehub on the inner edge. The best option seems to be to leave it off and just make sure your derailleur is adjusted properly. I noticed a tightness after the cogs are mounted. When you spin the rear wheel forward with the back of the bike lifted, the pedals will turn. This seems to wear in after a couple thousand miles and the freehub will begin to operate normally.

Hopefully, someone on the forum will have a lot more experience than I do with these wheels and can give you more solid help but that's what I know from my personal experience. I hope you find it to be of some assistance.

:)

Yeah that's the rubber thing I'm talking about. I assumed it has some useful function but, alas, not so.

Sounds like good advice and it all seems to fit well together this way -- now that I know what to throw away. Thanks.

Please help.
The rubber washer(O ring) goes in the trash. The silver thingy is the positioning spacer (spacer).

Originally posted by izzodesh
on a side note i just got them and they are amazing
best upgrade ever

Did you get the SLs, the Elites or the Equipes?

Originally posted by Beastt
Did you get the SLs, the Elites or the Equipes?

i have the elites
and one of my team mates have the Sl's and honestly unless you have the extra cash or are racing cat 1 or A then i would say its worth it. Other wise the elites are a great buy for the$ ....
very strong too!

i have the elites
and one of my team mates have the Sl's and honestly unless you have the extra cash or are racing cat 1 or A then i would say its worth it. Other wise the elites are a great buy for the$ ....
very strong too!
The elites and equippes are not worth what they cost...IMO.

which wheels do u think are worth it? or what do u ride on?

i happened to know someone who got me these for 300 with some sweet wheel bags...brand new 8)
i used to work in a bike shop so my old manager cut me a break

when we go to races i think the biggest joke is when u see spinergys....so $$$ and weak and plus in wind are horrible....and very bad around cornering..
most ppl have the velomax's or the elites's.

i happened to know someone who got me these for 300 with some sweet wheel bags...brand new 8)
i used to work in a bike shop so my old manager cut me a break
Everyone does not get a swetheart deal.

For the record, I got 'em new for $350.

Not as sweet, but sweet none the less.
I would not even give $300, but that's just me.

Originally posted by boudreaux
I would not even give $300, but that's just me.

Aside from your usual "load of hooey" arguement, why do you say they aren't worth the cash? Not trying to debate, just seriously interested what info brought you to that conclusion. For the record, I have Elites (paid $250US for a used 6 month old pair) and am very pleased. Also, what do you think of the Rolf Vigor?

Thanks in advance, Mr. B.

i have the elites
very strong too!

I owned a set of Ksyrium Elites for a while. I only put about 70 miles on them before a pickup ended their life prematurely. They rode nicely, felt very laterally rigid and controllable but what I really wanted was the SLs. For that reason, the Elites just never really impressed me. Mostly psychological I suppose.

Since the driver of the pickup had insurance, I decided it was an opportunity to dig a little deeper into my own pocket to make up the difference between the price of the Elites and the price of the SLs. I bought a second bike to ride while the first was being resurrected in the shop and put Ksyrium SLs on both bikes. I've not been the least bit sorry, though my checkbook and I are no longer on speaking terms.

Through a long, convoluted series of events I ended up with a set of the 2004 Ksyrium SLs as well as the two sets of the 2003 model. It's purley cosmetic but the 2004s went right back into the boxes and are sitting in my spare bedroom. Someday I may build up my extra frame or, (God forbid), something might happen to one of my 2003 sets and the 2004s are there. But for now, the 2003s are the ticket for me. They're not the lightest thing on the market but they're light enough that you can look down at that front wheel when you're tired and it feels like you have a dog biting down on each calf and you can still realize how little effort it takes to make those wheels go round. I love them!

:)

Is boudreaux a real person? I don't think so. I've been under the impression that it's just a script running on the server. The key is the catch phrases such as "load of hooey" and the always negative tone. I imagine it works by just crawling the forums at random and locking onto certain posts. Then it picks up on nouns and verbs using rudimentary sentence diagramming and adds a few key words from the original post which aren't in its online dictionary such as "ksyrium" and users names. Once it has a loose list of words and diagrammed sentences, it goes about replacing positive adjectives and adverbs with negative ones, generates a fair resemblance to a real post, pops it into the thread and moves on.

Notice how real people tend to have opinions rather than just opposing views and make an attempt to be civil when their opinions are in direct conflict to a previous post. That's probably the greatest downfall to the boudreaux script and a clear give-away to the fact that it's not an intelligent creature but only the product of a creative mind.

;)

I just bought 2004 SSC SL's and I'm a very picky sort so thought I'd run something by other owners: Do you notice a sort of flat spot in the top of the rim on the seam where the wheel is welded? Just curious.

These wheels are incredible riding BTW, really glad I went for them.