Mavic Ksyrium SSC model '06 vs '05

namg_engr

Jul 18, 2005
Hello, I just bought a set of (what I thought was) Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL '06 wheels. When I got home I noticed the front had a yellow background on the "SL" letters on the rim whereas the rear rim did not have the yellow background on the "SL" lettering. I did some online viewing of some pictures and it looks to me the front is an '06 and the rear is an '05. Is this one way to tell the '06 from the '05 model? Can someone confirm this? Thanks.

namg_engr said:
Hello, I just bought a set of (what I thought was) Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL '06 wheels. When I got home I noticed the front had a yellow background on the "SL" letters on the rim whereas the rear rim did not have the yellow background on the "SL" lettering. I did some online viewing of some pictures and it looks to me the front is an '06 and the rear is an '05. Is this one way to tell the '06 from the '05 model? Can someone confirm this? Thanks.

I asked my friend at the LBS, and he said the 2006 SLs his shop is expecting do have a yellow background on the SL logo. On the other hand, the word from Mavic is that only the front wheel was changed between 2005 and 2006 (carbon hub, etc., etc.).

Nonetheless, even if there is no change between 05 and 06, the shop shouldn't mislead you.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't believe my LBS would mislead me.

Even if there was just a decal change between the '06 and '05 then I wouldn't want an '06 front and '05 rear, I want '06 matched set.

The question that still needs to be answered is: Does the '06 Ksyrium rear rim have the yellow backgound behind the "SL" lettering?

namg_engr said:
Thanks for the reply.

I don't believe my LBS would mislead me.

Even if there was just a decal change between the '06 and '05 then I wouldn't want an '06 front and '05 rear, I want '06 matched set.

The question that still needs to be answered is: Does the '06 Ksyrium rear rim have the yellow backgound behind the "SL" lettering?
After looking at an image at pricepoint dot com, the rear rim shows a yellow background behind the SL lettering.

namg_engr said:
2006 do not have decals on the rims. "ksyrium" is no longer a sticker/decal on the rim.
Front hub should be black composite, not silver as the 2005s were.

Yes, there are no decals on the rims but there is what looks to be painted lettering on the rims. On the '06 rims there is a yellow background behind the "SL" lettering. Also on the '06 hubs there is a yellow sticker that wraps around the inside of the hubs. These yellow markings (as well has the black front hub) clearly differentiate '05 from '06 wheels.

So I did take my '05 rear wheel back to my LBS and they gladly replaced it with an '06 rear to match my '06 front. I'm happy now and that's all.

-Tom