Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL - need front hub

CdnRider

Apr 16, 2010
Hi Guys,

I got hold of a used front Ksyrium SSC SL rim. Was thinking/hoping on being able to build it up and use. Either as a back-up or a race set when I get hold of a matching rear.

Question. Can I only use a Mavic Hub to build this up? If so...can someone point me in the right direction. I've searched and couldn't find any Mavic Ksyrium hubs for sale.

thanks in advance

It should be possible to use any hub with a matching drilling. but if this rim has those screwed in eyelets you might struggle finding spoke nipples that will sit right. And of course if you use regular spokes you'll have to go the same route with the rear rim to get a matched set.
Last time I checked Mavic bladed spokes had a longer threaded portion than regular spokes. If this is actually required for the build things can get a bit challenging when recreating a wheel with regular spokes.

Oh, Mavic hubs/rims are available as separate pieces through their retailers, but at a price that seriously discourages from repairing stuff at that level. You're probably better off either selling the rim to someone who has a wheel with rim damage, or by buying a wheel with a damaged rim.

CdnRider said:
Hi Guys,

I got hold of a used front Ksyrium SSC SL rim. Was thinking/hoping on being able to build it up and use. Either as a back-up or a race set when I get hold of a matching rear.

Question. Can I only use a Mavic Hub to build this up? If so...can someone point me in the right direction. I've searched and couldn't find any Mavic Ksyrium hubs for sale.

thanks in advance

Mavic Krysirium hub only and aluminum spokes. You could try to contact Mavic.

Peter@vecchios said:

FWIW. I believe that dabac is correct & the OP just needs to find a hub with the correct drilling OR use a lesser MAVIC front hub which may have the same spoke count.

My recollection is that the Ksyrium's Zircal spokes have the same threading as a standard 14g spoke ... so, the OP just has to determine the correct spoke length based on the hub he has & the lacing ...

Of course, the nipples have a TORX-like shape, and he will have to pony up for an appropriate spoke wrench (Jenson's used to carry them ... maybe, they still do) -- the spoke wrench was about $18(US) a half-dozen years ago

Thanks for the replies folks. I have the rim sitting here in my room. Looks almost new. She's a beauty. Almost as pretty as my fulcrum 3's.

If anyone has a taco'd front kysrium SL rim and no longer wants the hubs.....this guy will gladly take it!

Thanks again guys.

CdnRider said:
Thanks for the replies folks. I have the rim sitting here in my room. Looks almost new. She's a beauty. Almost as pretty as my fulcrum 3's.

If anyone has a taco'd front kysrium SL rim and no longer wants the hubs.....this guy will gladly take it!

Thanks again guys.

Did you check eFlay? I'll bet iffin' you can't find a front hub there, you'll be able to find a front wheel at a reasonable cost. Remember, eBay is a fairy tale place where products either sell insanely cheap or ridiculously expensive (I've sold used stuff in auctions, there, where the buyer bid more than the item cost new. Where else in the real world does that happen?). Methinks eBay be your best option.

Peter@vecchios said:

There is really no way to attach a normal spoke to that rim. Mavic does supply little 'nipples' for use on say the 819, that uses standard 14mm nipples but those are for attaching to the rim ONLY, not for truing and are 'correct' or right threaded. The nipples on the end of Mavic's aluminum spokes are left threaded to emulate a normal nipple when truing, that is, left to tighten. Plus no way to get these nipples off an aluminum spoke unless you cut the spoke.

Thanks again guys.

I called my favourite LBS and they actually have a few used matching hubs available in the 140$ range. Sounds pricey I think for used. I'm in no real rush, so I'll be patient and see what I can find. I'll poke around on eBay as suggested. LBS also rough quoted me about 40$ for the 18 mavic aero spokes I'll need. And another 40$ to build the wheel. Adds up to a fairly high number I'd say.

CdnRider said:
I called my favourite LBS and they actually have a few used matching hubs available in the 140$ range. Sounds pricey I think for used. I'm in no real rush, so I'll be patient and see what I can find. I'll poke around on eBay as suggested. LBS also rough quoted me about 40$ for the 18 mavic aero spokes I'll need. And another 40$ to build the wheel. Adds up to a fairly high number I'd say.
FWIW. In the end, I dabac's suggsestion that you sell the rim to someone who has damaged his/her rim may be the best option for you ...