Mavic ksyrium ssc sl wheel failures

mike boersma

Guest
I just had a rim failure on my mavic ksyrium ssc sl rear wheel on the
drive side. When I brought the wheel to my dealer, he showed me several
other mavic wheels with similar failures (right at the spoke nipple, on
a spoke from the drive side of the wheel) awaiting shipment to mavic..
He also informed me that mavic is now blaming such failures on the
rider (and not mavic) so that mavic will not perform warrantee service
at their own cost and will instead bill the rider (me) around $200 for
repairs. The dealers estimate was that there is, in his experience,
about a 3%-6% failure rate on ksyrium wheels.

My wheels had less than 2k miles on them. They are road wheels -- I do
not bmx with them.

Can anyone confirm what my dealer is saying? How wide spread is this
problem? It seems fishy that a $750 wheelset with under 2k miles is
failing and that the cost will add an additional $200 to the price.

Mike Boersma

mike boersma wrote:
> I just had a rim failure on my mavic ksyrium ssc sl rear wheel on the
> drive side. When I brought the wheel to my dealer, he showed me
> several other mavic wheels with similar failures (right at the spoke
> nipple, on a spoke from the drive side of the wheel) awaiting
> shipment to mavic.. He also informed me that mavic is now blaming
> such failures on the rider (and not mavic) so that mavic will not
> perform warrantee service at their own cost and will instead bill the
> rider (me) around $200 for repairs. The dealers estimate was that
> there is, in his experience, about a 3%-6% failure rate on ksyrium
> wheels.
>
> My wheels had less than 2k miles on them. They are road wheels -- I do
> not bmx with them.
>
> Can anyone confirm what my dealer is saying? How wide spread is this
> problem? It seems fishy that a $750 wheelset with under 2k miles is
> failing and that the cost will add an additional $200 to the price.
>
> Mike Boersma

Sorni, pass the popcorn! ;)

With the post a couple of days ago concerning the explosive failure of a
pair of CXP33s, it seems that Mavic is doing very poorly in quality control,
and possibly initial design, if their rims are failing at this kind of rate
that your dealer has been claiming to see.

--
Phil

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> mike boersma wrote:
>> I just had a rim failure on my mavic ksyrium ssc sl rear wheel on the
>> drive side. When I brought the wheel to my dealer, he showed me
>> several other mavic wheels with similar failures (right at the spoke
>> nipple, on a spoke from the drive side of the wheel) awaiting
>> shipment to mavic.. He also informed me that mavic is now blaming
>> such failures on the rider (and not mavic) so that mavic will not
>> perform warrantee service at their own cost and will instead bill the
>> rider (me) around $200 for repairs. The dealers estimate was that
>> there is, in his experience, about a 3%-6% failure rate on ksyrium
>> wheels.
>>
>> My wheels had less than 2k miles on them. They are road wheels -- I
>> do not bmx with them.
>>
>> Can anyone confirm what my dealer is saying? How wide spread is this
>> problem? It seems fishy that a $750 wheelset with under 2k miles is
>> failing and that the cost will add an additional $200 to the price.
>>
>> Mike Boersma

> Sorni, pass the popcorn! ;)
>
> With the post a couple of days ago concerning the explosive failure
> of a pair of CXP33s, it seems that Mavic is doing very poorly in
> quality control, and possibly initial design, if their rims are
> failing at this kind of rate that your dealer has been claiming to
> see.

All I know is my Crossmax XLs (rear hub especially) blow goats.

Bill "and no, that was not a shot at Fogel" S.

Mike Boersma writes:

> I just had a rim failure on my Mavic ksyrium ssc sl rear wheel on
> the drive side. When I brought the wheel to my dealer, he showed me
> several other Mavic wheels with similar failures (right at the spoke
> nipple, on a spoke from the drive side of the wheel) awaiting
> shipment to Mavic.. He also informed me that Mavic is now blaming
> such failures on the rider (and not Mavic) so that Mavic will not
> perform warrantee service at their own cost and will instead bill
> the rider (me) around $200 for repairs. The dealers estimate was
> that there is, in his experience, about a 3%-6% failure rate on
> ksyrium wheels.

> My wheels had less than 2k miles on them. They are road wheels -- I
> do not BMX with them.

> Can anyone confirm what my dealer is saying? How wide spread is this
> problem? It seems fishy that a $750 wheelset with under 2k miles is
> failing and that the cost will add an additional $200 to the price.

I've been carping about Mavic's poor rims since they gave up their
best all time rim the MA-2 that had spoke sockets and eyelets. All
these new rims have no sockets so the whole spoke load is supported by
a small area of the inner rim wall.

So what else is new!

Jobst Brandt

mike boersma wrote:
> I just had a rim failure on my mavic ksyrium ssc sl rear wheel on the
> drive side. When I brought the wheel to my dealer, he showed me several
> other mavic wheels with similar failures (right at the spoke nipple, on
> a spoke from the drive side of the wheel) awaiting shipment to mavic..
> He also informed me that mavic is now blaming such failures on the
> rider (and not mavic) so that mavic will not perform warrantee service
> at their own cost and will instead bill the rider (me) around $200 for
> repairs. The dealers estimate was that there is, in his experience,
> about a 3%-6% failure rate on ksyrium wheels.
>
> My wheels had less than 2k miles on them. They are road wheels -- I do
> not bmx with them.
>
> Can anyone confirm what my dealer is saying? How wide spread is this
> problem? It seems fishy that a $750 wheelset with under 2k miles is
> failing and that the cost will add an additional $200 to the price.

Read the warranty information carefully. Most states also have
consumer warranty acts that make manufacturers liable if the product is
not "merchantable" meaning that it is not reasonably good. The LBS may
also have warranty obligations (which are usually waived on the
invoice, but you can look). I would blow a gasket if someone told me
that Mavic was not going to warranty a wheel that failed miserably
after only 2K. And why on earth should it cost $200 to repair the
Ksyriums? This is why I use only conventional wheels (mostly
Aeroheads, Open Pros and some old MA2s). -- Jay Beattie.

mike boersma wrote:
> I just had a rim failure on my mavic ksyrium ssc sl rear wheel on the
> drive side. When I brought the wheel to my dealer, he showed me several
> other mavic wheels with similar failures (right at the spoke nipple, on
> a spoke from the drive side of the wheel) awaiting shipment to mavic..
> He also informed me that mavic is now blaming such failures on the
> rider (and not mavic) so that mavic will not perform warrantee service
> at their own cost and will instead bill the rider (me) around $200 for
> repairs. The dealers estimate was that there is, in his experience,
> about a 3%-6% failure rate on ksyrium wheels.
>
> My wheels had less than 2k miles on them. They are road wheels -- I do
> not bmx with them.
>
> Can anyone confirm what my dealer is saying? How wide spread is this
> problem? It seems fishy that a $750 wheelset with under 2k miles is
> failing and that the cost will add an additional $200 to the price.

Read the warranty information carefully. Most states also have
consumer warranty acts that make manufacturers liable if the product is
not "merchantable" meaning that it is not reasonably good. The LBS may
also have warranty obligations (which are usually waived on the
invoice, but you can look). I would blow a gasket if someone told me
that Mavic was not going to warranty a wheel that failed miserably
after only 2K. And why on earth should it cost $200 to repair the
Ksyriums? This is why I use only conventional wheels (mostly
Aeroheads, Open Pros and some old MA2s). -- Jay Beattie.

Depending how fast you put the 2k miles and paid by credit card, then call
your credit card company, refuse the charge and the dealer may get more
searious about solving the problem with Mavic rather than makin git his
customers problem and keeping his vendor/rep happy.

"mike boersma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I just had a rim failure on my mavic ksyrium ssc sl rear wheel on the
> drive side. When I brought the wheel to my dealer, he showed me several
> other mavic wheels with similar failures (right at the spoke nipple, on
> a spoke from the drive side of the wheel) awaiting shipment to mavic..
> He also informed me that mavic is now blaming such failures on the
> rider (and not mavic) so that mavic will not perform warrantee service
> at their own cost and will instead bill the rider (me) around $200 for
> repairs. The dealers estimate was that there is, in his experience,
> about a 3%-6% failure rate on ksyrium wheels.
>
> My wheels had less than 2k miles on them. They are road wheels -- I do
> not bmx with them.
>
> Can anyone confirm what my dealer is saying? How wide spread is this
> problem? It seems fishy that a $750 wheelset with under 2k miles is
> failing and that the cost will add an additional $200 to the price.
>
> Mike Boersma

On 10 Jun 2006 15:04:01 -0700, "mike boersma" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I just had a rim failure on my mavic ksyrium ssc sl rear wheel on the
>drive side. When I brought the wheel to my dealer, he showed me several
>other mavic wheels with similar failures (right at the spoke nipple, on
>a spoke from the drive side of the wheel) awaiting shipment to mavic..
>He also informed me that mavic is now blaming such failures on the
>rider (and not mavic) so that mavic will not perform warrantee service
>at their own cost and will instead bill the rider (me) around $200 for
>repairs. The dealers estimate was that there is, in his experience,
>about a 3%-6% failure rate on ksyrium wheels.
>
>My wheels had less than 2k miles on them. They are road wheels -- I do
>not bmx with them.
>
>Can anyone confirm what my dealer is saying? How wide spread is this
>problem? It seems fishy that a $750 wheelset with under 2k miles is
>failing and that the cost will add an additional $200 to the price.
>
>Mike Boersma

Dear Mike,

What exactly are these failures?

Rear rims cracking at drive-side spoke holes?

Any pictures of this dealer's pile of bad wheels?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Chris wrote:

> Depending how fast you put the 2k miles and paid by credit card, then
> call your credit card company, refuse the charge and the dealer may
> get more searious about solving the problem with Mavic rather than
> makin git his customers problem and keeping his vendor/rep happy.

Just how fast do you think the OP is? :-D

>> The dealers estimate was that there is, in his experience,
>> about a 3%-6% failure rate on ksyrium wheels.

My experience is 50% (rear wheel no end of trouble, front wheel sorta
survives)

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 08:32:58 +0200, M-gineering
<[email protected]> wrote:

> >> The dealers estimate was that there is, in his experience,
>>> about a 3%-6% failure rate on ksyrium wheels.

>My experience is 50% (rear wheel no end of trouble, front wheel sorta
>survives)

Dear Marten,

How do your wheels fail?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:

>> My experience is 50% (rear wheel no end of trouble, front wheel sorta
>> survives)

> Dear Marten,
>
> How do your wheels fail?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

freewheel running rough
bearings rusting out
spokes jumping out the flange
spoke breakage at the nipple
rim cracking over the threads

--
---

mike boersma wrote:
> I just had a rim failure on my mavic ksyrium ssc sl rear wheel on the
> drive side. When I brought the wheel to my dealer, he showed me several
> other mavic wheels with similar failures (right at the spoke nipple, on
> a spoke from the drive side of the wheel) awaiting shipment to mavic..
> He also informed me that mavic is now blaming such failures on the
> rider (and not mavic) so that mavic will not perform warrantee service
> at their own cost and will instead bill the rider (me) around $200 for
> repairs. The dealers estimate was that there is, in his experience,
> about a 3%-6% failure rate on ksyrium wheels.
>
> My wheels had less than 2k miles on them. They are road wheels -- I do
> not bmx with them.
>
> Can anyone confirm what my dealer is saying? How wide spread is this
> problem? It seems fishy that a $750 wheelset with under 2k miles is
> failing and that the cost will add an additional $200 to the price.
>
> Mike Boersma

We see 'eyelets' pulled out and lots of broken spokes...along with the
obligatory rear hub OVH for dragy-ness and front hub OVH for noise.
Mavic takes a look at each and frequently will not warranty some of
them. Poor design, used by riders who should not use them and many
riders who 'should' be in the envelope for these things. Just yesterday
I replaced a spoke on a rear with 700 miles on it...he had heard they
were 'bomb proof'(where does that come from??

I think it comes from bike outta box sellers, and bike makers that get
sweet OEM deals and so lots of Bikes have them, even tho they are
crappola in my experience.

mike boersma wrote:

> Can anyone confirm what my dealer is saying? How wide spread is this
> problem? It seems fishy that a $750 wheelset with under 2k miles is
> failing and that the cost will add an additional $200 to the price.

I had it a cracked rim on a SSC-SL wheelset and I traded in all 4 Ksyrium
SSC-SL wheelsets I had. I now hear lots of stories here about spoke nipples
that come loose. Mavic glues them hwen they're returned, I understand.

I don't want any other Mavic (or other factory) wheelset any more.

Gr, Derk

"Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> mike boersma wrote:

Snip

He also informed me that mavic is now blaming
>> such failures on the rider (and not mavic) so that mavic will not
>> perform warrantee service at their own cost and will instead bill the
>> rider (me) around $200 for repairs.

Snip

>> Can anyone confirm what my dealer is saying? How wide spread is this
>> problem? It seems fishy that a $750 wheelset with under 2k miles is
>> failing and that the cost will add an additional $200 to the price.

> Read the warranty information carefully. Most states also have
> consumer warranty acts that make manufacturers liable if the product
> is not "merchantable" meaning that it is not reasonably good. The LBS
> may also have warranty obligations (which are usually waived on the
> invoice, but you can look).

Snip

Look for a website that gives you access to the UCC (Uniform Commercial
Code) for your state. Those engaging in business must comply with the
local UCC for the state in which the business is being conducted. You
might also find that a business may not waive a warranty in your
particular state no matter what the receipt says on the back.

Rich

Thanks

I am an attorney and am aware of UCC article 2. Michigan also has
consumer protection laws for false advertising, etc.

I would rather not have to sue to enforce the warranty, but will if I
have to.

Mike Boersma