Mavic Ksyrium Tech Question!(s)

M Simon

Guest
Allright, seems that the Mavic tech website is down, and I need a few answers. I've got a Ksyrium SL
with a broken spoke. How does the spoke attach to the rim? I know the "threaded insert" threads into
the rim, but how does the spoke "attach" to the insert? In other words, what am I going to find when
I unthread the insert? It can't be another head on that end of the spoke, so is there a little snap
ring or what? Secondly, is the round disc that comes with the wheels the spoke wrench? I'm not
around the wheels right now, but thinking about it I guess that would be about the right size and
has that shape of the threaded inserts. Anybody out there with more knowledge of this than me? Any
other advice about spoke replacement (front or rear) on these wheels would be appreciated! Oooh, one
more question, how many different length spokes are on Ksyrium SL's, 3,2,1?

Simon-<< I've got a Ksyrium SL with a broken spoke. How does the spoke attach to the rim? >

Threaded insert that comes as part of the spoke-insert screws into rim, spoke attached. Bulge at hub
end into a resessed protion of the hub.

<< I know the "threaded insert" threads into the rim, but how does the spoke "attach" to the insert?

Bulged end-

<< In other words, what am I going to find when I unthread the insert?

Bulged end probably-

<< Secondly, is the round disc that comes with the wheels the spoke wrench?

yep but really soft-really need the metal one that Mavic sells...a decent bike shop ought
to have it-

<< Any other advice about spoke replacement (front or rear) on these wheels would be appreciated!

Once you find a spoke-about $4 each, then it attaches and the wheel trues like a wheel..

<< Oooh, one more question, how many different length spokes are on Ksyrium SL's, 3,2,1?

Three-right side rear(radial) left side (two cross) and front(radial)

Marlene Simon writes:

> I've got a Ksyrium SL with a broken spoke.

I'm curious, where did the spoke break?

M Simon wrote:

> Allright, seems that the Mavic tech website is down, and I need a few answers. I've got a Ksyrium
> SL with a broken spoke. How does the spoke attach to the rim? I know the "threaded insert" threads
> into the rim, but how does the spoke "attach" to the insert? In other words, what am I going to
> find when I unthread the insert? It can't be another head on that end of the spoke, so is there a
> little snap ring or what? Secondly, is the round disc that comes with the wheels the spoke wrench?
> I'm not around the wheels right now, but thinking about it I guess that would be about the right
> size and has that shape of the threaded inserts. Anybody out there with more knowledge of this
> than me? Any other advice about spoke replacement (front or rear) on these wheels would be
> appreciated! Oooh, one more question, how many different length spokes are on Ksyrium SL's, 3,2,1?

three spokelenghts. rear replacement is easy, but the thread on the nipple is LH. I find that very
confusing front: pull axle end (only one comes off, unscrew other side (inhex 10 &5) now you can
slide the axle sideways and remove the plastic endcaps
--
Marten

Jobst-<< I'm curious, where did the spoke break?

We have seen kinda a rash of these(3 recently) All broke on the left side rear down by the rim-

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Qui si parla
Campagnolo) wrote:

> Jobst-<< I'm curious, where did the spoke break?
>

> We have seen kinda a rash of these(3 recently) All broke on the left side rear down by the rim-

Are these the newer or older model?? ( Elite or SLL )

Possibly mail order?

The LBS where I bought a set of these took Œem out of the box and retensioned the spokes and stress
relieved them before I rode them.

Sorry, Peter...I am a sucker for fancy wheelsets. Can¹t ride worth a damn so image is everything.

HAND